Q8 Collection Update: July, 2020.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should start a internet radio station devoted entirely to Q8’s. Maybe broadcast two channels of stereo simultaneously on different streams so it comes out in Quad. It might not work right though if there were internet issues. Maybe there is a way to broadcast in quadraphonic like encoding the signal down to stereo and having a surround sound plug-in on the listening app. But what do I know, I still listen to cassettes and 8 tracks.

ArmyofQuad tried that a few years ago with mixed success. He broadcast in 5.1, so there was a mix of more modern stuff in there as well but, as I recall, it was costing him a small fortune back then. I don't even know if there are any compatible players today that could handle it. He'd figured it out somehow with Windows Media Player. I would love to since I'm still Captain of the Unwashed Masses and have quite a bit of spare time on my hands, but not a whole lot of money.

As I get older, I find I'm also becoming technologically DEclined and have no sense of urgency to learn anything new. You're probably talking to one of very few people under 40 who don't have a cell phone.

ArmyofQuad tried that a few years ago with mixed success. He broadcast in 5.1, so there was a mix of more modern stuff in there as well but, as I recall, it was costing him a small fortune back then. I don't even know if there are any compatible players today that could handle it. He'd figured it out somehow with Windows Media Player. I would love to since I'm still Captain of the Unwashed Masses and have quite a bit of spare time on my hands, but not a whole lot of money.

As I get older, I find I'm also becoming technologically DEclined and have no sense of urgency to learn anything new. You're probably talking to one of very few people under 40 who don't have a cell phone.

Well don’t feel alone with the cell phone thing. I am almost 60 and went almost two decades without one before my wife bought me a new iPhone. I rarely use it and keep it on mute constantly. To me they are nothing more than invasions of privacy and dehumanizing if used like most people use them. If I need to call someone or vice-versa, well a landline works just fine thank you very much.

Hell, my mom was still driving her '75 Valiant with an AM radio and an 8-track player at that time. Come to think of it, it was around that time she bought a used Dynasty that had an FM radio with cassette!! Man, were we stylin'.

To date, Castlegar only has NINE traffic lights. That's up from the FIVE we had in the 90's. :ROFLMAO:

I had never heard of Castlegar before so I looked it up online. It looks like a beautiful area but yeah it does look semi-isolated. We both have something in common though as we both live on the Columbia river (I live in Portland). Portland was always somewhat behind the times but nothing compared to what Castlegar sounded like it was in your youth. We had at least 10 traffic lights back then :)

I had never heard of Castlegar before so I looked it up online. It looks like a beautiful area but yeah it does look semi-isolated. We both have something in common though as we both live on the Columbia river (I live in Portland). Portland was always somewhat behind the times but nothing compared to what Castlegar sounded like it was in your youth. We had at least 10 traffic lights back then :)

I love Portland. For the past decade, it's been one of my "vacation" spots for the Portland Swapmeet at the Expo and PIR. Have made a couple great friends there. In fact, the more Americans I meet, the more it makes me want to leave Canada. I swear I feel like a stranger in my own country but in America, I feel at ease. Portland and Spokane are my two favorite places to escape to. So far, I've only met one American I don't like. And it's not that I don't like him personally, he's actually a pretty cool dude.... he's just pushy and arrogant and I don't deal well with that. So, that might be more on me than anything. :LOL:

I love Castlegar (the whole West Kootenay area is wonderful) and Portland with its vibe and beer and record stores is great too.
In fact had a trip down there a year ago planned just as COVID hit

Back