Q8 to stereo rip

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon.millar

Hi,

As you’re all aware Q8 wasnt popular in the U.K. with little or no take up.

As such I have little interest in Q8 except for one US release - Marvin Gaye live (for which there was no CD-4 Japanese release - Don’t worry I’m here because I have an interest in CD-4 and a decent JVC setup).

I have the Marvin Gaye Q8 and would like to know if anyone has experience in ripping Q8 to stereo / digital formats and much of the 4 channel sound can be preserved.

I may invest in a jvc 4 channel 8 track deck, just expensive outlay for the 1 tape, but if I can get a decent rip may be worthwhile temporary investment.

All feedback greatly appreciated Simon

Btw the main issue with purchasing a 8 track deck is typically it will need to be shipped from the US for which significant import charges will be applied. 😩

If you mix the front l/r with the rear l/r, all the 4 channel sound will be preserved in stereo. (The front to back separation obviously collapsed but all the sound elements preserved.)
I'd focus on preserving the 4 channels of audio first and foremost. You can always just let core audio on the computer (or speaker management on a surround receiver) fold the quad to stereo for stereo listening.

Get a quad capable deck and an audio interface with at least 4 channels of input.
Preserve the original surround recording.
Worry about stereo folddown playback after the fact.

My 2c.

If this is for the experience of a restoration project, have fun! :)

If this is about preserving an out of print surround recording to the highest degree...
You might want to check up on what transfers anyone else has made. The point being not to invest in a path already traveled should that be the case.

Hi,

As you’re all aware Q8 wasnt popular in the U.K. with little or no take up.

As such I have little interest in Q8 except for one US release - Marvin Gaye live (for which there was no CD-4 Japanese release - Don’t worry I’m here because I have an interest in CD-4 and a decent JVC setup).

I have the Marvin Gaye Q8 and would like to know if anyone has experience in ripping Q8 to stereo / digital formats and much of the 4 channel sound can be preserved.

I may invest in a jvc 4 channel 8 track deck, just expensive outlay for the 1 tape, but if I can get a decent rip may be worthwhile temporary investment.

All feedback greatly appreciated Simon

Take into account that you need not only a quad deck of some sort, but also a quad-capable-input soundcard for recording to digital the four channels.
JVC had several models of quad 8 track players, 1205 is noisier than 4800 but 4801 is better than 4800. 4801 has a DC motor that allows for fast forward and it's easier to service.

But if you want the tank, get an Akai CR80SS. Bulky, expensive, and really worthy.

Forgot to say: check out frequently ebay.de, germany has a bigger quad marked than any other euro country but quad stuff can be found, with time patience and luck, anywhere.

Back