• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

QQ Door Prize #67: ALIENADIN [Blu-ray Audio] - USA Members Only Please

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hello All. This is a door prize offer for United States members only - so sorry to those out of the US.

The reason for this is that when the disc was initially offered, the shipping from Surroundjediguitarlord in Vienna-Austria to the USA seemed prohibitive. So I purchased five copies: one to keep, one to give away (in this drawing), and three to sell to interested parties in the USA who might not otherwise buy because of shipping.

The disc on offer is "ALIENADIN" a Blu-ray Audio disc with 16 regular tracks and 3 bonus tracks for a total of 19 songs. All tracks are in 4.0 surround. The disc has a great dynamic range - no brickwalling and clear clean recordings. The mixes are quite discrete and adventuresome, with Ali (the artist and mixer) having no hesitation to place elements in discrete isolation, and also moving elements within the course of a song.

In his other thread,

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?22243-ALIENADIN-Blu-ray-Audio-in-discrete-Surround-Sound

Ali says "The problem is choosing a song that is representative of the album, as each one is different." I agree with this assessment, although I do have my favorites which I think would be most accessible, if not most representative. Some might say this makes the album "unbalanced," but others might say there is something for everyone here. The individual listener is likely to find some they love and some they skip after the first listen. But there should be appeal to a wide range of listeners in this work.

Here is my track by track description:

Firstly, all tracks have percussion unless otherwise noted. The percussion is discrete and spread out over the sound field, and I find this pleasing.

Track 1: A classical feel with good discrete elements

Track 2: Shred guitar with a jazzy background, very discrete elements

Track 3: Loping jazz track with jazzy male lead vocal, female backing vocal, two acoustic guitars - very discrete

Track 4: Synth symphonic with mix of sustained and speedy shred guitar.

Track 5: Slow acoustic guitar and piano intro, speeds a little, great mix and dynamics

Track 6: Frantic guitar and vocals - Zappaesque in its' playfulness

Track 7: Acoustic guitar intro, classical sounding - almost sounds like Steve Hackett - No percussion

Track 8: Very discrete track, 2 guitars, piano, synth, & tenor sax

Track 9: Shred guitar & piano, bass feels low in the mix

Track 10: Mellow jazz electric guitar, brushes and male ballad vocals

Track 11: Unison lead guitars over medium tempo backing guitar/bass/drums.

Track 12: Solo acoustic with no percussion. Very nice!

Track 13: 2 electric guitars, piano, synth, bass and drums. Mellow and melodic after an upbeat opening

Track 14: Synths and pianos with guitar - evocative and cinematic like a soundtrack. No percussion.

Track 15: Shred guitar & drums. Van Halen-esque at points.

Track 16: Sparse and spacious, bowed bass, piano, guitars & lots of cymbals. Progresses to instrumental jazz

In his description in the other thread, Ali mentions guitar shredding, which for the uninitiated means playing very fast electric guitar. So this is not my favorite style of music, but I took a chance and I am glad I did. There are plenty of other styles represented here, and if you remove four or five tracks there would be no shredding on this release. So if you are not a fan of that style, do not let the spectre of the shred put you off.

My personal favorites are tracks 5 & 8, and I also quite like 4, 7, 12, 13 & 16. I don't hate any of the tracks, but again some are not my favored style.

You can listen to samples of tracks here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL4TT93Igd4

So let's do the door prize first: open to all USA members: reply here to this thread before noon Colorado time on November 11th. I will then use a random number generator to pick a post number which will determine the winner. I will mail it Saturday the 12th or Monday the 14th.

Then if anyone is interested in buying a copy I have three extras, again USA only. The reason I am shipping to the USA only is that the cost elsewhere should be reasonable as shipped directly from Surroundjediguitarlord. I will not be making any profit on these discs. I will sell them for cost plus shipping, which is approximately $24 depending on the post office.

Thanks to Ali for making great music and mixing in surround!

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
If I provide a US address to ship to can you count me in please?

Last edited:

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Thanks for the chance!
QQ elmer - COME ON DOWN! You are the winner of the Alienadia Blu-ray audio!

Please PM me with your postal coordinates and I will forward you the disc.

A reminder to all other entrants that I have three copies of this disc for sale to QQ members - details in the 1st post of this thread.

Thanks everyone for entering. Have a great night!

Snood

Staff member
QQ elmer - COME ON DOWN! You are the winner of the Alienadia Blu-ray audio!

Please PM me with your postal coordinates and I will forward you the disc.

A reminder to all other entrants that I have three copies of this disc for sale to QQ members - details in the 1st post of this thread.

Thanks everyone for entering. Have a great night!
Congrats Elmer :banana:

Group builder