QQ Quest: You are standing in front of two magic portals.......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
You can use either one or both.

Portal 1 will take you back to a major Music and Audio Retail store with a huge stock of LPs, Tapes, and Audio Equipment. However, it's August 1976! You have only a short time there.

Portal 2 will take you back to a major Audio/Video Retail store with a huge stock of SACDs and DVD-Audio Discs. However, it's August 2004! You have only a short time there.

What 3 items would you buy and bring back with you from each portal?

Portal 1 will take you back to a major Music and Audio Retail store with a huge stock of LPs, Tapes, and Audio Equipment. However, it's August 1976! You have only a short time there.

Portal 2 will take you back to a major Audio/Video Retail store with a huge stock of SACDs and DVD-Audio Discs. However, it's August 2004! You have only a short time there.

port one I would buy the store close it have it boarded up and bring back the dead and a note so i don't forget were it was. and a smile

port two would not care
Jim

Interesting, I don't know! I guess the highest present value items from portal 1 as I can only deal with SQ and QS right now and vinyl is very frustrating. From portal #2 I'd grab Rumour & Sigh, Billion Dollar Babies and ELP BSS (this one only so that I could buy more discs on eBay!). Maybe a good stipulation would be that you couldn't sell your acquisitions. Otherwise, the highest value items are best - simply sell them and buy more stuff :D

I'd take the first portal. I have pretty much all the modern stuff I want but there's still lots of vintage stuff I'd like to get my hands on!

Problem is, where???
August for shopping can be fine in the USA, in Italy nearly everything is closed... nowadays a lot less than in the past, so by 1976 it was nothin'!.
Said that, let's make it London 1976 and grab some UK Q8, ELO & PF.
Or make it Ontario 1976 and grab some canadian-only Q8, ELP for example.
Or make it Milan, june 1976 and grab some italian-only quads, Morricone and Pooh.
Then go back, transfer to digital, enter in the 2004 portal and sell them on ebay for a outrageous sum of money. :)

Problem is, where???
August for shopping can be fine in the USA, in Italy nearly everything is closed... nowadays a lot less than in the past, so by 1976 it was nothin'!.
Said that, let's make it London 1976 and grab some UK Q8, ELO & PF.
Or make it Ontario 1976 and grab some canadian-only Q8, ELP for example.
Or make it Milan, june 1976 and grab some italian-only quads, Morricone and Pooh.
Then go back, transfer to digital, enter in the 2004 portal and sell them on ebay for a outrageous sum of money. :)

They made I Pooh quad LP's???? WOW!

How about Lucio Battista?

Well in December 1977 I did manage to venture into a Tower Records store in L.A.....and as a 17 year old from Australia it was an amazing experience...from memory they were plugging (in store promotions) The Sex Pistols- never mind the bullocks, and The Saint's -I'm stranded .....I bought about 40 lps then...none of them quad...going back to 1976 now ...mmm that's pre MFSL audiophile, so I'd probably pick the quad ones I can't find easily...like a good SQ or Q8 of Chicago viii...and a couple of other quad pieces that are hard to find....
.....Hang on , I just remembered that they used to have an import section with lp's from Japan....I think I might go for some motown cd-4's

Last edited:
They made I Pooh quad LP's???? WOW!

How about Lucio Battista?

Yes, at least one:
Pooh, Alessandra, CBSQ 69023, 1972.

Only known copy by me is on the State Library for Music (Discoteca di Stato).

Some other had been released on the same year (1972), the only one i know of is Gigliola Cinquetti, E io le canto cosi.

No Battisti, afaik.

I can't play anything from Portal 1, all of that hardware is dead, sold or has been stolen from me. The stuff from Portal 2 is what I want anyway and I would save the quantum gel for the Portal 1 trip and see if it would be possible to make a second trip to Portal 2 at some future date.

From Portal 2, I have got to get some hard to find titles:

Richard Thompson - "Rumour and Sigh" DVD-A
Grateful Dead - "Workingman's Dead" DVD-A
Alison Krauss & Union Station - "New Favorite" SACD

I have no nostalgia for the Quad era of the 70's, these digital formats are so much better in my opinion.

Chris

I have no nostalgia for the Quad era of the 70's, these digital formats are so much better in my opinion.

I agree, as I think most people do. That might be an interesting tangent; how many people would still hold onto and use their vintage quad gear if all quad recordings were to be released on sacd and or DVD-A? Some people just prefer the analog sound and some prefer lps and tapes, even if they agree that hi-rez sounds better. After reading at SH I get the feeling that the whole ritual of cleaning an lp and playing it is part of the enjoyment for them. Fair enough, but it isn't for me!

Cool topic!

I'm clueless about my 70s Quad, but I'd definitely check it out.
1. Maybe I'd grab a Q8 player with analog outputs that would work with today's receivers;
2. Probably one of those famed Tate's (?) that I keep hearing about once in a blue moon;
3. And something Quad from Burt Bacharach???

As for 2004, I'd picks me up some stuff I missed out on:
1. ELP DVD-Audio
2. Deep Purple DVD-Audio (Though, I do have the SACD)
3. And a "Band on the Run" DTS-CD.

Yes, at least one:
Pooh, Alessandra, CBSQ 69023, 1972.

Only known copy by me is on the State Library for Music (Discoteca di Stato).

Some other had been released on the same year (1972), the only one i know of is Gigliola Cinquetti, E io le canto cosi.

No Battisti, afaik.

Yep - I have that album by Gigliola Cinquetti in "quadrifonico" - bought it in Rome many years ago..:sun

Wow!! I have dreams about going back in the past and walking into a store that has Q8's and Q 4's for sale... also, it's strange that even though I have some of the best equipment for listening in 5.1 and nearly all of the modern 5.1 software I want, the majority (90 percent) of my listening consists's of
Q8's, Q 4's and CD-4's. Soooo...TAKE ME BACK TO THE SEVENTIES...PLEASE!!!
C'mon Lou...make my Christmas....

Since I have most of the DVD-A's and SACDs I want now...

Portal #1 would be my choice, especially if it led to Japan where I could pick
up some of the Motown CD-4 stuff and my missing Stylistics LP "Let's Put it All Together" CD-4,
some of the early Guess Who CD-4s and the two almost unheard of Moody Blues CD-4 records.

Other than that, I still have a ton of domestic (and many imported) SQ, QS & CD-4 LPs.
I would grab a few decoder boxes though!

Hell, in 1976, I didn't have a wife, kids and I did have money!
Oh to be there again!!!
(he says, whilst getting the sh*t slapped out of him by his wife...
she does NOT find that amusing! :D)

A great old thread, Jon!

Having been in the business in both eras, it becomes a most interesting question. Most pieces of gear and software were in our store in the '70's. I own(ed) many of the classic Quad pieces and lots of domestic software.

1976 portal:
1 - Marantz 4400 - I still own a Marantz Quad that I bought back in the day, replete with full-logic SQ module, remote, and wood case. I'd love to trade it for a 4400, although I'll put my B&K 7.1 separates and it's array of vintage "black boxes" (SQ, QS, CD-4, pre-preamp, dbx II, Quad scope, Zektor HDS 4.1, and Russound QT-1) against ANY Quad piece(s) including this one, performance wise.

Still, a most cool and very collectable piece, and WAY BETTER LOOKING than my modern two flat black B&K amps, and the preamp with a 10" x 2" blue display for input/mode. No sex appeal at all! I recall the 4400 being a $1400 list price, which would be about $4k in today's dollars. Still, I never liked the "uneven" rectangular buttons and the scope display is teeny. With all due respect to Sansui lovers, the 4400 is the best and coolest Quad receiver.

2 - Pioneer SD-1100 Oscilloscope/test tone generator. A piece I may still own before I die. At the height of Quad, we had this piece displayed on the console where our audio board was. We usually demoed CD-4 through 4 Altec Voice of the Theater horns! Quad on steroids! A couple years later, I bought a Technics/Panasonic SH-3433 Quad scope for 1/4 the cost. The Pioneer is way cooler. Original list price: $600. That would be nearly $2k in today's $$.

3- Crown International CX-844 10 1/2" reel 3 3/4, 7 1/2 and 15 ips deck. The REAL deal and a piece I still hope to own someday. There is a photo of its' little brother, CX-744 in this QQ thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?8643-Crown-International-Quad-Reel-Decks

Crown ceased making reel decks in the mid-70's, because they were very expensive. They continued to make amps/preamps. It was $3k in '74, the same price as many cars!! It would be about $10k in today's $$.
CX-844 picture, with grid of available 70's Quad reel decks, from Reel2ReelTexas: http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinAd66RecB3.jpg
This company is not the same as Crown Japan, which made low-cost amps. This Crown was in Elkhart, IN.

2004 portal:
Although there are many modern pieces that would outperform my current main system, there is very little gear that I'd love to own from the modern era. Just as I'd love to have J Lo's assets, I'm satisfied with mine. I'm content with most of the gear I currently own, nearly all of which was purchased either in the new millennium or in the old Quad days.

1- A JVC HD D-VHS deck.

2- 50 copies of the DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac Rumours to sell on E-Bay.

3- 5.1 SACD Bach: Four Great Toccatas - (Old Ernest) E. Power Biggs. Again, many copies as an investment.

I do own A COPY of both software titles.

Since I am not old enough to remember them in stores, I'd go back to the 70's and buy some reels. I remember 8-tracks in the stores, but they were fading fast. When I bought my first LP (Grease) there were no 8-tracks in the store. In 1983, I bought my first new 8-track, Anne Murray - A Country Collection, for 99 cents off a discount table. I never saw quad in the stores. The seventies are special to me as the only requirements I had was to have stereo speakers, 3 speeds on the changer, and LOTS of good records. Back then I was listening to the music, not the equipment. My only distraction was the thump when the last record played, or when a well worn rock and roll 78 went flying in pieces because it got played too much and shattered on the way down the stack to the platter. I don't even remember a "stereo shop" until the 80's when big speakers with obscene bass turned me on with Queen's Another One Bites The Dust. The only places to buy stereos that I remember were Sears and the local K-W St. Clair TV and Radio shop that also sold appliances and a few pieces of furniture. Things were simpler then, like I wish they were now.

Nice old thread revival!!!

Portal 1 - Any highly desirable quad reels I could get e.g. Black Sabbath, Doobie Brothers, BlueJays, or perhaps one of the rare OJays or Isley Bros Q8s...
Portal 2 - Scorpions Moment of Glory, Cardigans Long Gone Before Daylight, O Jays - Ship Ahoy

All for my personal collection!

Back