QQ Quest: You are standing in front of two magic portals.......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. perhaps could use such opportunity to grab as much as can find in store Q4s.
2. not really much. maybe few SACDs which i stupidly ignored, waiting for DVDAs versions of those titles.

b.t.w. i didn't know we have here so many scalpers :)

Whatever portal you pick would still mean visiting many stores. I have never seen one store that carried everything, and I've been to many back in the day. Most stores didn't even carry quad reels. Most of mine came from mail order. Some quad 8 tracks I've never seen in the New York area were plentiful in the Chicago. You had to do the hunt even back then.
Phil.

Whatever portal you pick would still mean visiting many stores. I have never seen one store that carried everything, and I've been to many back in the day. Most stores didn't even carry quad reels. Most of mine came from mail order. Some quad 8 tracks I've never seen in the New York area were plentiful in the Chicago. You had to do the hunt even back then.
Phil.

This just means one thing, 1970's ROAD TRIP!!!! Does this mean cruising in a '71 Le Sabre with low mileage and no worries about repairs? Or maybe the large soundfield of a '69 Pontiac Grand Prix with quad?

1. perhaps could use such opportunity to grab as much as can find in store Q4s.
2. not really much. maybe few SACDs which i stupidly ignored, waiting for DVDAs versions of those titles.
Not too many quad reels in stores in August, 1976. Ampex ended in 1975 and Magtec was hardly doing anything other than Columbia House reels. But you might find a dusty copy of the Sleeping Beauty Ballet. There was still one of those at a store in Salt Lake City as recently as 1983. Broadway Music. Those scammers are long gone.

I bought a new '76 Buick Regal. I had 2 stereos on a slide mount. Pioneer Q8 and auto-reverse cassette.

Oh, the thrill of buying Chicago X & Fly Like an Eagle as brand new releases on Q8. Instant gratification., just unwrap and pop in the Q8 player. Those truly were the days.

Lots of homebrew mix tapes - Q8's & cassettes.

Whatever portal you pick would still mean visiting many stores. I have never seen one store that carried everything, and I've been to many back in the day. Most stores didn't even carry quad reels.
Not too many quad reels in stores in August, 1976. Ampex ended in 1975 and Magtec was hardly doing anything other than Columbia House reels. But you might find a dusty copy of the Sleeping Beauty Ballet. There was still one of those at a store in Salt Lake City as recently as 1983. Broadway Music. Those scammers are long gone.
yep guys, i can't beat your knowledge in regards of availability of different quad formats at North Americans stores in 70th.
after all collecting quad i started only back in 2009 in fact because of influence of this community. so, since this quest is highly
hypothetical and so are my wishes. just my thoughts on most valuable stuff from quad era.

Interesting. If I could adjust the date I would go to Toronto Ontario on 3/11/73, pick up the three best quad reels in the store, and then go see Pink Floyd at Maple Leaf Gardens! For me, the old quads are still circulating around and most are attainable in one form or another (thanks OD!), but the era of live music that I missed in those tender pre-adolescent years is irreplaceable!

I would take Toto IV, Aerosmith Toys in the Attic and Fagen's Kamakiriad. These three are being sold for dirty amounts of money nowadays (and I still don't have them).
I'll send a friend to get Rage Hard collection by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Toy MatinƩe and Crowded House. Just as a favor :devilish:

Nothing from the old quad times as I don't have the means to play them. Well, maybe Dark Side, WYWH and Atom Heart Mother, just for collecting sake.

Holy Shit! I saw this thread, assumed it was new. (I wasn't even looking at the dates). Started reading from Jon's first post....got down a couple....then I did a total double take! What? Cai Campbell??? I seriously had a senior moment and I thought....did Cai not pass away? Ugh......then I saw the date. Wow.....trippy for sure.

OK - I would take Portal 1 for sure (I already own a shitload of DVD-A, etc). To be able to see all those vinyl albums lined up in the cabinets, shiny and new. Oh boy...how fun. I'd buy every single LP from the bands that I now cherish so much and don't have original versions of. Audio Equipment? Wow! I'd get me a freaking high quality turntable....you know, a 35 pounder....and a bad-ass Quad setup....assuming they still had them.

Ah, it makes me high just thinking about it.

Depends on how much money I have available. I didn't have much money available on either of those dates (which is why I don't have the stuff).

Portal 1: I would buy a Sansui with Variomatrix and as many matrix records as I could afford. I especially want the one UD4 record I saw, but could not buy.

I probably would not use portal 2. I really do not want digital recordings.

Any new contributions to this old thread?

Pretty cool thead Jon (y) but what I notice...are some people that are no longer posting...and I wonder why...but looking on this thread also reminds me of the good things that remain..it does make me appreciate people like you and Quad Linda...still here and still providing us with meaningful information:)

Pretty cool thead Jon (y) but what I notice...are some people that are no longer posting...and I wonder why...but looking on this thread also reminds me of the good things that remain..it does make me appreciate people like you and Quad Linda...still here and still providing us with meaningful information:)

some may have gone the way of the 3rd
magic portal, round the back.. and others may have passed through the 4th and now be in Quad Heaven šŸ˜

1. Joni Mitchel - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns CD4 LP
2. Pink Floyd - Wish Your Were Here SQ LP
3. Deep Purple - Machine Head SQ LP
I had the Floyd & Purple LPs then, but given a chance I'd have had a CD4 demod & Quad Reel-to-Reel as well!

1. Eric Clapton & B.B. King - Riding With The King DVD-A
2. Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me DVD-A
3. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly DVD-A

........ and then I look at my collection now, and its Wow after the demise of all things Quad I wouldn't have believed that I have what I do now (especially the Doobies Quadio)

Back