QQ Quest: You are standing in front of two magic portals.......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I recall correctly, it was 2008 or 2009 when they really started blowing out the surround titles. I guess I could have gone back to 2004 for the really hard ones, like Ship Ahoy, and then waited until 2008 to grab all the cheap bargain basement titles.

But if I was going back in time with knowledge of the future, I could just make some easy stock picks and then I could afford to buy DVD-A titles for $1000 each!

Take that, Deep Thought!

1. Joni Mitchel - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns CD4 LP
2. Pink Floyd - Wish Your Were Here SQ LP
3. Deep Purple - Machine Head SQ LP
I had the Floyd & Purple LPs then, but given a chance I'd have had a CD4 demod & Quad Reel-to-Reel as well!

1. Eric Clapton & B.B. King - Riding With The King DVD-A
2. Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me DVD-A
3. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly DVD-A

........ and then I look at my collection now, and its Wow after the demise of all things Quad I wouldn't have believed that I have what I do now (especially the Doobies Quadio)

There was a thread on the "old" forum that was sort of a wish list of titles people wanted to be released...I remember seeing it a few years ago and noted how many of the "wishes" did get released...but it's a shame that some of the early members aren't around anymore to see the quad titles that have been released...I wonder what they would think of Dutton...the quality...the cheap prices....it's hard to believe in 2020 that these are available...

Portal 1. Drop me at the best district of stores in London (or a great U.S. store that loves imports) where I can scoop up any remaining copies Pink Floyd UK-only discrete quad tapes of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side. Would hopefully pick up unopened Q8 copies of Credence Gold and Kraftwerk’s Autobahn.

Portal 1.5 (in transit back home). Can I sign up for Columbia House and RCA/BMG record clubs from space ca. 1987-88 and clean them out of any remaining 8-tracks from U2, Prince, Madonna, and Cars‘ and Fleetwood Mac’s Greatest Hits? Ship it to my pre arranged permanent mail drop/hold location I set up when I was in 1976 that will be waiting for me in 2020.

Great topic!

Portal 1. Drop me at the best district of stores in London (or a great U.S. store that loves imports) where I can scoop up any remaining copies Pink Floyd UK-only discrete quad tapes of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side. Would hopefully pick up unopened Q8 copies of Credence Gold and Kraftwerk’s Autobahn.

Portal 1.5 (in transit back home). Can I sign up for Columbia House and RCA/BMG record clubs from space ca. 1987-88 and clean them out of any remaining 8-tracks from U2, Prince, Madonna, and Cars‘ and Fleetwood Mac’s Greatest Hits? Ship it to my pre arranged permanent mail drop/hold location I set up when I was in 1976 that will be waiting for me in 2020.

Great topic!
Oh yeah, and while in 1976, squeeze my way into private investment of Steve Jobs and Apple, whatever it takes! That’ll pay for everything when I return.

Is it weird that my time travel fantasy actually involves seeing beloved movies in first run engagements in big, single-screen theaters operated by people who both knew what they were doing and cared?

At least it's relevant to multichannel audio because one of the big attractions of those old palaces for me is the discrete magnetic soundtracks.

Can I get a 1970 portal?

Then I need 3 volunteers to go with. We're going on tour with Pink Floyd. Each of us right in front of each quad speaker stack with a recording device. We can switch off so everyone gets some shows in the front center position.

Make it 1967 starting at Games For May and you have a hard commitment from me. Actually, even if you want to wait until 1970, you can just pick me up when you get there. Hopefully I am not too fried from three years of intensive Floyd immersion!

1976: go to Japan and get a fancy demodulator such as this:
20201016_132324.jpg
whatever the best Shibata stylus/cart they have, and a q4 deck(I've always liked the Sony TC-854-4 but I dont know if it would still be available in store in '76)

Back