QQ SACD Demo/Promo/Sampler Gallery (with scans)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I don't know about you guys, but since the dawn of quad I have always been intrigued by the "Sampler" disc. Given out as freebies, or with a piece of equipment, many of this type of disc has arrived with a track that had yet to be released, or sometimes one that never got released.

Since SACD seems to have taken a back seat to the marketplace, I created this thread to catalog and display some of the rare and unusual sampler and promo discs that were created to support the format and the hardware that played the format.

If you have any discs of this type and would not mind scanning them and sharing them with the membership, that would be GREAT! Please create your scans to be 650 pixels wide for uniformity. If you have any stories that go along with the disc, please add that information.

THANKS!!

SONY Multchannel SACD Sampler

This 4 track disc appeared in many Best Buy and Circuit City showrooms (and probably walked away from a few as well :D)

Attachments

• Sony 1 Back.jpg
    Sony 1 Back.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 686
  • Sony 1 Front.jpg
    Sony 1 Front.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 706
ROLLING STONE RS-500 Givaway SACD

This disc comes with a sad story. A glorious release, given away FOR FREE with the 500th issue of Rolling Stone Magazine, it included an Elton John track that predated the EJ SACD release. It also appeared at the height of SACD awareness, with the release of DSOTM getting a lot of press in the months before this issue.

The bummer was that a month or so after this issue hit the stands, Sony management seemed to change their mind about pop/rock SACD and in the following 3 years only released a handful of titles. Be it Harry Fox or Hairy Butt, there must have been one hell of a fight in a boardroom somewhere! :D In the end, we lost............. :(

Attachments

• RS500 Front.jpg
    RS500 Front.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 709
  • RS500 Back.jpg
    RS500 Back.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 695
BOB DYLAN REVISITED - The Reissue Series Sampler

Another relic of the great "Sony Bailout", this sampler to the excellent Dylan SACD Collection even states on the back that the forthcoming Volume 6 of the Dylan Bootleg Series would be available in surround SACD - - - but it never made it, making this disc another piece of "evidence" in the end of the Sony Pop/Rock SACD saga. That being stated, this disc does contain a track from that unreleased Vol 6 Bootleg set, "All I Really Want to Do", so in some respects it's quite desirable to Dylan surround collectors.

NOTE: This exact disc was also included (without the slip cover) as a 'bonus disc' with some editions of the "Masked and Anonymous" soundtrack CD.

Attachments

• Dylan Front.jpg
    Dylan Front.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 668
  • Dylan Back.jpg
    Dylan Back.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 688
Pink Floyd Money

This is a single track surround sound SACD promo to hype the release of DSOTM in the SACD format. These are quite common at this time I am told.

Attachments

• DSOTM Front.jpg
    DSOTM Front.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 684
  • DSOTM Back.jpg
    DSOTM Back.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 711
EUROPEAN SONY EARLY RELEASE SACD SAMPLER

This 2 disc set was issued by Sony in Europe. Some cuts are in stereo while others are in both MultiChannel and Stereo.

Attachments

• Sony Europe Front.jpg
    Sony Europe Front.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 703
  • Sony Europe In1.jpg
    Sony Europe In1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 696
  • Sony Europe In2.jpg
    Sony Europe In2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 661
  • Sony Europe Back.jpg
    Sony Europe Back.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 701
2001 SACD SAMPLER from "dmp" RECORDS

Attachments

• dmp front.jpg
    dmp front.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 708
  • dmp back.jpg
    dmp back.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 739
All of my sampler SACDs are purchased off of various auction sites around the world....

- Monster Home Theatre (Monster Cable) demo SACD - featuring music from the Telarc label.

- Hong Kong Philips SACD sampler - featuring music from the Hong Kong Universal Music labels with a couple of tracks in multi-channel surround sound.

2253001554_103d0bd441.jpg

586101770_1c79636419.jpg

Demo sampler SACDs given out, with paid admission, at the annual Hong Kong High-End Audio Visual Show. Featuring music from EMI Classical, DG, Mercury, and other Hong Kong music labels, etc.

586093326_fe0ec3308e.jpg

586179122_fbd8969650.jpg

1610457619_db398bc79b.jpg

From Europe came this Philips "Total Music Immersion" SACD sampler

586139098_fd86c1cb90.jpg

This SACD sampler came from ABC Records of China

586136906_c8b52c6d9b.jpg

You guys must've seen this SACD before in ads inside Stereophile magazine....Licensed by Silkroad Music of Hong Kong, Stockfisch Records' "Very Audiophile New Recordings". No hi-rez stereo, just hi-rez multi-channel surround.

586135796_3a62a5a2f9.jpg

SACD promo single from Hong Kong Universal Music artist Hacken Lee. The actual album was never released on SACD, however.

26181646748_30e6ee5627.jpg

Last edited:
This promo SACD is in fact not a promo for the SACD format, but for German radio transmissions with Dolby Digital 5.1 from classical concerts. Using a satelite receiver with digital out to a surround receiver Germans and other people with access to German satelite transmissions can hear 5.1 live from concert halls. I received the free SACD with a German HiFi magazine in 2007.

082.JPG

Nice Thread! Especially since SA-CD.net doesn't post demo/samplers on the website anymore.

Another Bob Dylan Sampler SACD, only with 15 songs The only real difference between this one and the shorter 7 song sampler is that these are all stereo SACD, where as the 7 are all stereo/Surround. I'm not sure if any of the songs are unique as I'm not that familiar with Bob Dylan's catalog.

15 Track sampler/promo

1. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
2. To Ramona
3. Maggie's Farm
4. Just LIke Tom Thumbs Blues
5. I Want You
6. Dear Landlord
7. To Be Alone With You
8. Simple Twist of Fate
9. On A Night Like This
10. One More Cup Of Coffee
11. Changing Of The Guards
12. Gotta Serve Somebody
13. License To Kill
14. Ring Them Bells
15. Summer Days

Attachments

• 3cd8_1.JPG
    3cd8_1.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 631
A rolling Stones 6 song SACD sampler for the upcoming (past tense) 2002 ABKCO release of the SACD collection.

1) Jumping Jack Flash (live) - from Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out
2) Brown Sugar - from Hot Rocks
3) She’s A Rainbow - from Their Satanic Majestics Request
4) It’s All Over Now - from 12x5
5) Honky Tonk Woman - from Through The Past Darkly
6) Salt Of The Earth - from Beggars Banquet

Attachments

• 6f78_1.JPG
    6f78_1.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 622
Just like the Bob Dylan samplers, The rolling stones had a second, larger sampler. This one is 21 songs.

1.It's all over now
2. 2120 south michigan avenue
3. get off my cloud
4. (i can't get no0 satisfaction)
5. under my thumb
6. I am waiting
7. ruby tuesday
8. miss amanda jones
9. pain it black
10. dandelion
11. she's a rainbow
12. I'am free
13. living sister fanny
14. brown sugar
15. you got the silver
16. monkey man
17. jumping jack flash
18. wild horses
19. factory girl
20. midnight rumbler LIVE
21. honky tonk women

Again, not sure if any are unique to the sampler. If you spot one, PM me and I'll update the description.

Attachments

• adb4_1.JPG
    adb4_1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 611
Here's an Elton John Sampler:

1. Answer In The Sky (from "Peachtree Road")
2. Take Me To The Pilot (from "Elton John")
3. Country Comfort (from "Tumbleweed Connection")
4. Madman Across The Water (from "Madman Across The Water")
5. Honky Cat (from "Honky Chateau")
6. All The Young Girls Love Alice (from "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Deluxe Edition")
7. Someone Saved My Life Tonight (from "Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy")

Attachments

• 2637.jpg
    2637.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 611
The Kinks 40th Anniversary Sampler. I've got this one and really enjoy it.

1. 20th Century Man
2. No More Looking Back
3. A Rock and roll fantasy
4. Do it again
5. Heart of gold
6. Juke box music
7. Living on a thin line
8. Sweet lady Genevieve
9. Better Things
10. Mirror of love
11. Celluloid heroes
12. Everybody's a star
13. Superman
14. All Day and all of the night

Attachments

• Kinks40.jpg
    Kinks40.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 613
Ok. not quite a SACD sampler (DVD-Video) but still of interest to the thread: a sampler promoting the ABKCO SACD release catalog of Rolling Stones, Hermins Hermits, Animals, and Sam Cooke series (of which there is a SACD sampler floating around out there as well.

Currently a copy on Ebay for $40.

Attachments

• ads2.jpg
    ads2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 643
Sam Cooke Promo SACD sampler.

Description
Abkco Records 10 track promo only SACD Hybrid sampler CD and incredible huge press kit inc. b&w and color publicity photos, tons of press info and much more, all in custom picture folder.

Catalog #a43301 (9206-UP)

The sampler disk (minus the press kit) sometimes shows up separatly from time to time. I think it has a different cover.

Attachments

• samecookea43301.jpg
    samecookea43301.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 597
GENESIS 1970-1975 - PROMO SACD/DVD SAMPLER

Seen recently on ebay:

SACD track listing

Happy The Man
Resignation
The Knife
Harold The Barrel
Musical Box