QQ Survey Time!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which format?

• 2 Hybrid SACDs

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • 2 CDs + Blu-ray

Votes: 22 20.4%
  • A standard Blu-ray.

Votes: 75 69.4%

• Total voters
I have a CD player that sounds better than my Blu-Ray player, so I still play CDs when I want that 5% extra audio pleasure. And I like the idea of just popping the disc in the tray and start listening immediatly (i.e. without having to wait for the loading time, logos, menu, and turning on the TV).

I have a CD player that sounds better than my Blu-Ray player, so I still play CDs when I want that 5% extra audio pleasure. And I like the idea of just popping the disc in the tray and start listening immediatly (i.e. without having to wait for the loading time, logos, menu, and turning on the TV).
Cool. so what model is that?

I think it's a matter of what player equipment and what ripping/conversion skills one have.

For me, the best is downloadable files. No space limit. MCH FLAC and Stereo FLAC. If Atmos or additional video, then ISO Blu-ray or MKV/MP4 files.
All files can be directly played from my 'Oppo-203...' via HDMI to the AVR.

For the car, just copy the stereo FLAC to a USB pendrive.

There aren't any people under 40 aside from me and scjorne really interested in surround. They're all obsessed with their stupid vinyls. (Damn you, Adele!)

Surround interest, if they have been properly indoctrinated, only comes when they have enough money/position to have a very stable house and way of living.
Stable way of living may come 'only' after retirement.

My son, 33 years old, same music styles liking than me, really enjoy surround when coming to my house in my Home Cinema.
But usually, he listen to his music from his mobile and, if anything, single bluetooth small speaker.
My daughter (30) has enough with a single amazon echo device for music.
If they are ever interested in surround, we will not be here and the world will be too different, I'm afraid :(

Surround interest, if they have been properly indoctrinated, only comes when they have enough money/position to have a very stable house and way of living.
Stable way of living may come 'only' after retirement.

My son, 33 years old, same music styles liking than me, really enjoy surround when coming to my house in my Home Cinema.
But usually, he listen to his music from his mobile and, if anything, single bluetooth small speaker.
My daughter (30) has enough with a single amazon echo device for music.
If they are ever interested in surround, we will not be here and the world will be too different, I'm afraid :(
Well my interest stems from my father’s electrical retailing business where I was able to actually see some late items from pioneer etc but nothing like the range in overseas markets.

My more recent interest had seen me collect a lot of currently under-utilised equipment though my two Akai AS 1080’s are my mainstay amps though I have more up to date tech.
I write as I too have a son just reaching 30 in the rent and move cycle and who relies on Bluetooth speakers - and when I was building up my early receivers next I do recall my own father saying that his clock radio was sufficient for music appreciation!

Now my question is: How prolific is each of these formats (compared to DC and DVD)?

Other than here, I have never seen or heard of SACD, DVD-A, FLAC, or DSD.

Disclaimer: I'm interested in preserving original quality over convenience in ripping. I'm not interested in qualifying lesser formats that may do no apparent damage in isolated examples. Preserve the original weather or not it appears to matter.

Bluray:
Purchase any standard bluray compatible drive for the computer.
MakeMKV to convert the bluray BDMV bundle to a .mkv file.
MKVToolNix to split into chapters (only for tracks that do not segue*)
ffmpeg to convert the audio streams to flac

* PITA part: Tracks that segue get corrupted at chapter splits.
Doing this correctly requires splitting a single flac manually in a DAW.

SACD:
Purchase stand along disc player machine compatible with the firmware upgrade/mod to rip from it.
Sonore to rip iso to dsd files. **
XLD to transcode dsd to 88.2kHz pcm at 32 bit floating point.
Normalize whole album to be just under 0db (or up to just under 0db for the lower level ones). This is critical for the ones that come out over 0db in the transcode! Going straight to 24 bit would clip.
Render to 24 bit fixed files.

** This app has no whole disc at once feature for albums with tracks that segue. And yes, this one corrupts track segues too! You get this digital "ricochet" that makes a click at track splits that you have to edit out to restore. Adding further PITA to DSD rips.

So I'm probably due for a software upgrade?
Maybe some of this is automated (and automated correctly)?
I know there are a couple DSD ripping apps that mention doing the initial floating point transcode followed by normalizing before rendering to 24 bit.
But I'm cheap sometimes and the above is all freeware.
Bluray is easier.

Without question in my experience. What is your easiest/fastest way to rip audio from a Blu-ray? I'm willing to learn.

I use MakeMKV to make an MKV file from the Bluray. Then I use DVD AudioExtractor to rip the high res layer(s) from the MKV file. If there is an Atmos layer, my Oppo 205 will play it directly from the MKV file. Note that the MKV file is quite large, so I often only rip the 7.1 MLP files from the disc. The 7.1 MLP files carry the Atmos information.

Disclaimer: I'm interested in preserving original quality over convenience in ripping.
XLD to transcode dsd to 88.2kHz pcm at 32 bit floating point.
768659032168726549.png

Back