QRX-9001 repair

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Has anybody used this place to have repairs done?

www.vintage-electronics.net/

I was given what I thought was a low price for resoldering the two-sided PC boards and replacing all the electrolytic caps on my beloved 9001.

What would be a typical price for a complete repair regarding resoldering, cap replacement, etc?

I have heard of lengthy delays with some repairers and want to avoid that. I would rather pay more and obtain reliable service and quality work that pay less and deal with someone who is not reliable or perhaps dishonest (ala never seeing my unit again!!!!)

Any input appreciated!!!!

A friend of mine has used this company to have repairs done on his Akai quad reels. He had good experiences with them. Not certain how their costs compare to others. Let me know if you'd like to talk directly to my friend about his experiences and I'll send you his email address.

George
[email protected]

So Jon, Bob sent you your 9001 last week to your work, has it gotten there? How is it? He worked very hard on it and felt that it was 100%. Maybe things take awhile with Bob some times and he is not perfect but who is? No one knows Sansui quad better than he does! I would suggest to any one reading these negative posts about Bob's work to go ahead and use some one else and I will eventually be able to post an I told you so when that person posts about how screwed up thier unit is now. I would also say that there is a lot to what Bob does that I doubt any one knows how to do properly ie. calibrations. He puts a huge amount of time into these resto's and I doubt some one else would! I hope the unit is to your liking, he was proud of the results.

Dave

hi Dave

yes bob took some time on Jon 999 but he ran in some problems, it looks like somebody else worked on jon's unit and it was screw up. i'm sure jon will love his restored monster!. it sounded so freaking good that i missed my 9001 that bob restored for me (and i sold it) big mistake. he's doing a full restoration on my QSD-1 now and i can't wait for him to finish it. thanks Gerardo

Hi Gerardo!

Here Here!

I will be sending my 777 to Bob next month and some day my D-1 too. I still have not heard variomatrix minus the blend resistors so I am looking forward to that. On anouther not, I just want to compliment you on the pseudo quads you sent me thru Bob. The sound quality is first rate! Thanx Gerardo!!!

Dave

Yes guys, my 999 showed up at my office this week. I have been so busy at work that I have yet to even open the box.

I am COMPLETELY confident that it will be in BETTER shape than when I bought it in Italy all those many years ago.

As far as waiting a long time to get it back, the way I look at it, I would rather have it doen RIGHT, and with loving care, then to have someone do it quickly and half-assed.

My 999 actually WAS worked on at SANSUI in NJ in the early 80's. There poor work actually slowed down Bob a bit, but he had the fortitude to actually seek out the poor work and repair it.

THAT, is the sign of a CRAFTSMAN.

I will report back on the results, but I am sure that I will be thrilled!!

Now, the only thing missing is Bob joining the forum and chiming in!!!

:-jon

Preparing for the future when my 9001 totally dies.... and the delay before I have the funds to have it rebuilt, I bought a 4-channel amplifier from the firm in mention. It's a Panasonic RE-7844. One of the reasons I bought it was as a test of the firm's reliability.

The ad mentioned how good of a condition it was. Upon receipt I immediately noticed that the pushbutton off/on swith did not work well. The typical problem associated with switches of that type.

It's an obvious defect that wasn't mentioned. Yes, he guarenteed the stuff but, at the fairly low price paid it is not worthwhile to me to box it up and send it back. That type of switch is easuly repaired, even if it means drilling a larger hole and installing a generic switch such as a toggle-type.

There was no damage to the box it was shipped in and, the symptoms of the defective switch are associated with age and repetitive use, and, since the defect is obvious but not mentioned, I have determined I will not be sending my beloved QRX-9001 to this firm.

When the funds allow I would rather pay twice as much or more to someone who cares about quality.

This message is not intended as a denunciation of the firm in mention. It IS an announcement of factual events intended to inform the sundry members of the quad community.

When I finish college and am back to work the savings towards resuscitating my 9001 will commence. When the funds exist I will again inquire as to the various reputable folks who bring the dead and semi-dead back to life.

Hey Obbopp,

I posted my problems with my 9001 (that QuadBob screwed up) on the Classicsansui website and I got a reply from a member who knew of a tech that is supposed to be very knowledgable of these receivers. He is the owner of Chicago Audio. Dave Vaccaro 1-773-735-8833 he is only in shop Tue-Thur & Sat from 1:00 PM to 9pm on Tue & Thur and 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Saturday. I haven't called him yet, but if I send out my 9001 before you do, I'll let you know his quality of work. Dan

hi Jon

well how is your 999 now ????? let me know what do you think. as fas as "the only thing missing is Bob joining the forum and chiming in!!!"

quadbob said he rather spend his little free time he has working on the quad stuff, than spend his little free time sitting in front of a keyboard ????? good maybe he can finish my QSD-1 ??????

thanks Gerardo

Back