QS SQ ... Q-what??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4audio

Alright, I've got a novice question here. I've finallly got my 4 speaks. all hooked up and everything
is ready to roll. I am using a Sansui QRX 7500 reciever which you probably all know has QS synthesizer,
QS Matrix, and Phase matrix options. Well, it seemed when I put on my first Quad LP, DSOTM SQ from
Australlia, I didn't really feel like anything special happened. (The synthesized QS option did sound a little more discrete than the other matrix options) My question being.. Most of my albums at this point are of the
SQ format. Does this mean that I need some sort of an SQ decoder?? What are some varieties to watch for?
I thought that they would decode effectively thru the QS on my reciever.
Needle is a shibata "Copy" made by ED SAUNDERS, which is suppose to be effective for CD-4, but that
really should'nt effect this SQ QS stuff anyway, right?

Thanks
Chris

Ok, I am replying to my own post. I think that i just put it together that the famous Tate
is an SQ decoder..... Well, I guess I'd better start a savings account.

Chris

The Tate would definitely improve your image of SQ. If you are a newbie, maybe the best way to go would be to get a DTS decoder, and purchase from other quaddies, CDs of properly decoded material. Much of this material was not decoded at all, because it came from discrete four or eight track tapes. This would allow you to play DVD Audio discs, if your decoder does Dolby too. I bet you could pick up a Technics SHAC500D for a modest price on Ebay. Happy Hunting!

The Quadfather

You don't need a special cartridge/stylus for the SQ/QS matrix surround formats, so your Ed Saunders deal should be fine... and if you do decide to go with CD-4, all you need is a demodulator, since you already have the necessary cartridge/stylus.

The Tate is certainly the way to go to get the best out of SQ. If you are patient and persistent, you'll eventually find one. If you want to find something decent to use in the meantime, I recommend a Lafayette SQ-L (good) or a Lafayette SQ-W (better). There are other decent SQ decoders out there but none that I have personal experience with.

Good luck!

Is that the qrx 7500 or 7500a, there is a difference. the 7500 has first generation variomatrix quad boards with about 20 dbs of diagonal seperation front to back but only 3 dbs of seperation front left to right. This scheem sounded more quad than the existing other makers sq decoding as they went for front seperation of 20dbs and only 3 dbs of front to rear seperation. If you have a 7500a model it has two ic's on the quad boards that give much better seperation front to front and front to back. The 00 models with an "A" in the model #'s have these hybrid boards (a mix of 1st gen and 2nd gen variomatrix quad boards). The models ending in 01 have 2nd gen variomatrix boards with 4 ic's and decode SQ at the equivalent of a half logic decoder which was better than just about every thing else at the time. 2nd gen Sansui quad was head and shoulders above every thing else at the time and way ahead of it's time. Not until the Tate came out years later was there any thing comprable.

Dave

Back