QS vs. Synthesize in Sansui

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
Does anyone know the difference between the QS mode and the QS Synthesizer Surround modes on the QRX series receivers? Just curious what is different. It definitely sounds different. (I never really use the "hall" position.)

I have a QRX-7001 and I'm REALLY impressed with the synthesize mode. Some albums that are "stereo" sound like they were made for quad!

QS mode is for QS encoded recordings - the decoder is optimized for these

buttons.jpg

QS Synthesizer Mode - this is what Sansui wanted you to use for stereo recordings when you wanted them to be heard in pseudo surround. IOW, any recording, tape or LP, that was not specifically encoded with QS. Some receivers had two variations on this "fake surround" as shown above, "HALL" mode was similar to a reverberation/ambient treatment, like you were listening in a church or large open area, and SURROUND which is more of a "this over there, that over here' type of deal.

Of course, there was nothing to prevent you from playing a stereo source in QS or SQ mode, in fact your results would always vary. Whatever sounds best to you is what you should use.

Last edited:
But if you play a QS encoded recording through Synthesizer will it affect directionality/accuracy?
I certainly agree with Jon. If you play a QS record in the synth mode it will move what's intended for left (right) front speakers to center left (right). It will move center left (right) to the rear left/right chs. It will move left (right) rear to center back.

Does anyone know the difference between the QS mode and the QS Synthesizer Surround modes on the QRX series receivers? Just curious what is different. It definitely sounds different. (I never really use the "hall" position.)

I have a QRX-7001 and I'm REALLY impressed with the synthesize mode. Some albums that are "stereo" sound like they were made for quad!
The QS Synth mode does a little opposite phase (more correctly "opposite polarity") blending of the two original input chs. Playing a stereo record in QS with a sound dynamically panned left to right, it will move from center left>center front>center right. In the QS Synth it creates a 270 deg horseshoe wrap around: Left back>center left>left front>center front>right front>center right>right back.

The QS Synth mode does a little opposite phase (more correctly "opposite polarity") blending of the two original input chs. Playing a stereo record in QS with a sound dynamically panned left to right, it will move from center left>center front>center right. In the QS Synth it creates a 270 deg horseshoe wrap around: Left back>center left>left front>center front>right front>center right>right back.
Probably asked and answered a dozen times, but how does QS Synth mode compare to SM Involve if at all? IIRC there was chatter on one of the the SM threads that stated that they were not the same. (I believe that it was you, Wiz, who may have even asked for something like it in future incarnations of the SM?)

Probably asked and answered a dozen times, but how does QS Synth mode compare to SM Involve if at all? IIRC there was chatter on one of the the SM threads that stated that they were not the same. (I believe that it was you, Wiz, who may have even asked for something like it in future incarnations of the SM?)
It is better to answer your question this way: The Involve SM is an updated highly sophisticated basic QS decoder ( allowing otherwise of course for the SQ mode). And I don't mean to degrade Involve by sayin "basic". It's just that it deosn't have any other additional Sansui QS enhancement modes. Play a QS record through a Sansui QS Variomatrix vs SM you should get the same sound localization in either one. If there is a difference I'd have to give the SM the edge as the correct reference.

Since the SM v1 or V2 doesn't have a Synth mode in the classical sense, I got around that by building my own front end for the SM. It allows me 4 stereo inputs, bass/treble, L/R balance and phase balance (variable synth) all by remote control.

It will be a bad decode. A QS source should always be played back through the QS circuits to hear what the original mix was intended to be heard.
When I had my QRX-6500, the only real difference I could hear between the QS and QS Synthesizer surround mode was a slight boost in the rear level. Hall mode reduced the level. But localizations, when playing QS recordings, were not affected.

It is better to answer your question this way: The Involve SM is an updated highly sophisticated basic QS decoder ( allowing otherwise of course for the SQ mode). And I don't mean to degrade Involve by sayin "basic". It's just that it deosn't have any other additional Sansui QS enhancement modes. Play a QS record through a Sansui QS Variomatrix vs SM you should get the same sound localization in either one. If there is a difference I'd have to give the SM the edge as the correct reference.

Since the SM v1 or V2 doesn't have a Synth mode in the classical sense, I got around that by building my own front end for the SM. It allows me 4 stereo inputs, bass/treble, L/R balance and phase balance (variable synth) all by remote control.

i thought (on the SMv1 at least) the 4.0 outs were for QS and the 5.1 outs were the Involve mode?

so the 5.1 Outs aren't doing anything different from the 4.0 Outs?

i thought (on the SMv1 at least) the 4.0 outs were for QS and the 5.1 outs were the Involve mode?

Involve 4.1 = Sansui QS with the added subwoof.

so the 5.1 Outs aren't doing anything different from the 4.0 Outs?
In the 5.1 mode common mode (center front) material is removed from the front L/R c hs & funneled to the center front output. So yes using the cenetr front output makes quite a change. This processing is done after the basic Involve/QS decoding.

Involve 4.1 = Sansui QS with the added subwoof.

In the 5.1 mode common mode (center front) material is removed from the front L/R c hs & funneled to the center front output. So yes using the cenetr front output makes quite a change. This processing is done after the basic Involve/QS decoding.

ah great, thanks! 👍
so if i keep the 4.0 outputs hooked up (as they are now, always have been and forevermore shall be) i'll get all the QS loveliness the Sansui dudes intended back in the nineteenseventeeeesssss! 🥳 🕺🏾

ah great, thanks! 👍
so if i keep the 4.0 outputs hooked up (as they are now, always have been and forevermore shall be) i'll get all the QS loveliness the Sansui dudes intended back in the nineteenseventeeeesssss! 🥳 🕺🏾
As David Lo Pan would say: INDEED!
And even better than original as several weak spots hvae been improved over available tech of the 70's.

Like DuncanS I always leave my .1 subwoof going too. I find a lot of material on Netflix doesn't have all that impressive surround sound even if it's being offered as 5.1. The SM is great for extracting some pizazz & I usually use the center front out with that.

And even better than original as several weak spots hvae been improved over available tech of the 70's.

Like DuncanS I always leave my .1 subwoof going too. I find a lot of material on Netflix doesn't have all that impressive surround sound even if it's being offered as 5.1. The SM is great for extracting some pizazz & I usually use the center front out with that.

i'd use it for Netflix if only the SM could order me pizza to go with the pizazz..!! 😋🤩

The .1 isn't connected on my system as I have 4 full sized floorstanders (Monitor Audio RS8) (+ a matching centre for 5) so plenty of Bass!

Back