Quad 4 gang pot repair

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonywc

All, I recently got a Sanyo DCX3300KA Quad receiver and decided to do a total inspection and repair. Tested all Caps and transistors, replaced any that were bad(only a few), replaced all lights with LEDs, and cleaned all pots with DeOxit Fader. It fixed the scratchy sound with the individual volume controls, Base and treble. The one I'm having issue with is the master control volume. The left rear channel with not kick in until I'm 1/3 turned on the volume, then its OK. I measure the resistance and it shows I may have a dead spot in one of the gangs. Can this be repaired? Do they even make replacements for these or even upgrades? Or am I stuck trying to buy used pots and hope for the best?

Another option if you are adventuresome is to buy a single pot in the value you require and open up your quad pot and install the new element only. Some older pots could also be altered so that you could remove the shaft and take out the offending can and put in a new one. I do not know if they are still made that way. A visit to a well stocked parts shop will give you the answer.

Another option if you are adventuresome is to buy a single pot in the value you require and open up your quad pot and install the new element only. Some older pots could also be altered so that you could remove the shaft and take out the offending can and put in a new one. I do not know if they are still made that way. A visit to a well stocked parts shop will give you the answer.
I actually have been looking into this. Found a few that may just match. With total guts replacement or tear down and thorough cleaning, its still going to be tedious and time consuming.

It may be tedious and time consuming, but worth it in the end when you power it up for the first time. Also very cost effective if you can do it yourself rather than taking it to a tech or buying a new receiver.

Heh yeah, electronic components are pretty much only sold online now. Just like computer supplies. Mouser is a good store that sells in small quantities.

You might not find the exact exact match for a component from years ago but you should be able to find the same form factor and spec. The larger size pots with solder lug terminals are still very much a thing and available.

Back