Quad 45s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I would like to create a page for the website with info on quadraphonic 45s. I know there are a few out there.

Columbia released a bunch of promos, Garfunkel, Chicago, Billy Joel, etc, and we've all seen those ABC/Prj3 QS Jukebox EPs floating around for years.

I know that Ovation's 45s were quad, as well as a few stray titles here and there from obscure labels.

If you have any 45s in your collection, would you mind listing they here in this thread. When we get enough input, I will put together a reference page and maybe ask folks for a scan or two of the real interesting stuff.

The rarer the better! What'ch got? :D

JonUrban said:
I would like to create a page for the website with info on quadraphonic 45s. I know there are a few out there.

Columbia released a bunch of promos, Garfunkel, Chicago, Billy Joel, etc, and we've all seen those ABC/Prj3 QS Jukebox EPs floating around for years.

I know that Ovation's 45s were quad, as well as a few stray titles here and there from obscure labels.

If you have any 45s in your collection, would you mind listing they here in this thread. When we get enough input, I will put together a reference page and maybe ask folks for a scan or two of the real interesting stuff.

Joe Walsh-The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get--Jukebox EP

Larry Geller said:
Joe Walsh-The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get--Jukebox EP
Santana - Black magic woman Japanese pressing.

Maybe a specific section should be devoted to Jukebox EP, there were many of them released in USA.

Odegard, Kevin Can't Turn Back / Sunshine Silvermine MCR-457303 Mill City QS

Garfunkel, Art All I know / Mary Was an Only Child 4-45926 CBS SQ

Paul, Billy Me and Mrs. Jones jukebox issue JBQ 508 Phil. Records

Four Tops Mainstreet People jukebox EP pro40012 ABC QS

Grassroots Greatest Hits Jukebox EP PRO-40013 ABC QS

King, B B. Guess Who 4-song EP LLP QD-260 ABC QS

Walsh, Joe The Smoker You Drink the Player you Get QD-256 ABC QS

Croce, Jim I Got a Name Jukebox EP

Steely Dan Pretzel Logic PRO-40015 ABC QS

Three Dog Night Hard Labor Jukebox EP QD-257 Little LP

Kaye, Sammy S/T PR 5065 Project 3 QS

JonUrban said:

hi Jon
i only have 2 quad 45's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Jim Croce I got a Name LLP # QD-258
QS 4-Channel hit Deluxe Toshiba QSS-1002

thanks Gerardo

JonUrban said:

Yes, there was a CD-4 Single that was engineered by Lou Dorren.

Oh yeah. I used to have that, or may have it somewhere. Was it on Soundbird?

JonUrban said:
Oh yeah. I used to have that, or may have it somewhere. Was it on Soundbird?

I think so. You might check the Quad Incorporated catalog. It's probably listed in there.

Angel made 12" 45 rpm Quad records released as part of the 45 Angel Sonic Series. The seven titles I have are listed below:

Angel SQ SS-45011 Mstislav Rostropovich Orchestre de Paris Rostropovich Conducts: Rimsky-Korsakov: (45 rpm)
Angel SQ SS-45018 Jean Martinon Orchestre de Paris Ravel: Rapsodie Expagnole etc. (45 rpm)
Angel SQ SS-45021 Eugen Jochum London Symp. Orch. Beethoven Overtures: Fidelio, Coriolan etc. (45 rpm)
Angel SQ SS-45023 Neville Marriner Academy of St. Martin Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Sleigh Ride, etc.(45 rpm)
Angel SQ SSB-4501 Klaus Tennstedt London Phil. Orch. Mahler: Symphony No. 1 (45 rpm) two discs
Angel SQ SSB-4502 Mstislav Rostropovich Orchestre de Paris Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade (45 rpm) two discs

tcdriver

A few that haven't been listed yet:

Enoch Light - Big Band Hits of the 40's & 50's (PR 5076 QS - EP)
Doc Severinsen - Fever! (LLP #QD-262)
OTTO - Quadsonic Stereo Record (1392-7901-01800) - Japan
Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer/Baby Driver (SOPA 28) - Japan

There are many 45s. I must have 50 or more. Japan listed many, including EPs. Japan issued several CD4 demos&QS demos
I have some Simon and Gar EPs with 4 songs. USA There is a Bonus Single that came with E Power Biggs LP and with a Joan Baez.
Rarest is English Jonsey Richocet/Every Day's the Same DNS 1030 QS
Pye/Dawn from Lp "NO Alternative" DNLS 3042.
I will try a list soon lots of typing

quadtrade said:
There are many 45s. I must have 50 or more. Japan listed many, including EPs. Japan issued several CD4 demos&QS demos
I have some Simon and Gar EPs with 4 songs. USA There is a Bonus Single that came with E Power Biggs LP and with a Joan Baez.
Rarest is English Jonsey Richocet/Every Day's the Same DNS 1030 QS
Pye/Dawn from Lp "NO Alternative" DNLS 3042.
I will try a list soon lots of typing

hi Tad

thanks to remind me that i have the Jonesy 'Ricochet' / Every Day's the Same DNS 1030 i totaly forgot this one ?????? thanks Gerardo :mad:@:

Here's mine:
1. Grass Roots - Midnight Confession; Sooner or Later; Where were you when I needed you; Temptation Eyes; Wait a Million Years; Heaven Knows.
2. BB King - Any other way; Summer in the City; Better Lovin man; Found what I need.
3. Count Basie Orch - Hello Young Lovers; Mame; On the street where you live; On a Clear Day; People; Everything's Coming Up Roses.
4. Ray Charles Singers - Sand Pebbles Theme; California Dreamin; Cabaret; Music to Watch Girls By; Alfie; Love me with all your Heart.
5. Steely Dan - With a Gun; Rikki Don't Lose that Number; Barrytown; Pretzel Logic.
6. Jim Croce - I Got a Name; Lover's Cross; I'll have to say I love you in a song; Top Hat bar and grill; Thursday; Workin at the car wash blues.
7. Three Dog Night - The show must go on; Sure as I'm sittin here; Anytime Babe; Put out the light.
8. Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way; Happy Ways; Meadows; Midnight Moodies.
9. Santana - Yours is the light; Samba de sausalito; love devotion and surrender; light of life.
10. Simon & Garfunkel - Keep the customer satisfied; Why don't you write me; bye bye love; Song for the asking; So long frank lloyd wright; El condor pasa.
11. Chase - Open up wide; Get it on.
The last three are Sq, the others, Qs. All are 33s except for the Chase. All are US pressings.
Many of them have those cards that went into juke boxes with the song titles.
What has everyone else got?
Marc

this is mine also

Joan Baez VSQ-6 Part Of VSD-6770/1 331/3 rpm
Sweet Thunder SB2-XB LD 45 CD4
Steely Dan Pretzel Logic 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Three Dog Night Hard Labor 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Joe Walsh The Smoker You Drink The Player Etc 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Kevin Odegard Mill City 45 rpm QS
Jan Lindblad Shenandoah 45 rpm RCA-PB 9027 QS Swedish
Simon & Garfunkel ZSQ-159846 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Paul Simon ZSQ-159855 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Santana ZSQ-159861 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Billy Paul ZSQ-159850 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Iguana Quadratrack A-101 45 rpm QS
National Panasonic Test Record SPR-113-1 45 rpm J.V.C.Adjustment Record 4DE-205 45 rpm
J.V.C.Adjustment Record 4DE-202 45 rpm
Otto Quadsonic Stereo NDS-127
Sharp 4 Channel Adjustment 4DE-508 Art Garfunkel Mary Was A Only Child 45 rpm
Four Tops Main Street People 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Kristofferson Kris Jesus Was A Capricorn 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Croce Jim I Got A Name 331/3 rpm Juke Box
B.B. King Guess Who 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Kenwood 4 Channel Adjustment 4DE 505
Streisand Barbra Something So Right 331/3 rpm Juke Box
FEVER Doc Severinsen 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Best TONY Mottola 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Santana Black magic Woman SONY 45
Sanyo 4 Channel Adjustment 4DE 510
Harold Melvin & Blue Notes 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Enoch Light Hits of 20s QS EP
Chicago Another rainy day in N/York/Tchaikovsky Sym.N0 4 Demo 331/3
Count Basie Broadway 331/3 EP
Sergio Mendes Mais Que Nada SQ 45Japan
Bonnie Koloc Guilty of Rock & Roll 45 Ovation
Simon & Garfunkel Vol.4 33 Sony
Simon & Garfunkel Bridge over troubled water Sony 45
Simon & Garfunkel El Condor Pasa 45 Sony
Enoch Light Hits of 30s 40s QS EP
The O'Jays z8Q 32408 331/3 rpm Juke Box
Ben Wasson Some kind of Fool 45 Ovation
Four Leaves Our earth is but one Japanese Group Sony 45

My question is, why QS and SQ encoded 7" records? The obvious reason would be for use in quadraphonic jukeboxes, but from the research I've done on the Seeburg series of quad jukeboxes, was there really a need for matrix encoded records? The Seeburg decoder was by no means a SQ or QS decoder. My understanding is that it's a very simple, relatively ineffective decoder that creates more of the "Haffler" effect.
So, even though no jukeboxes were equipped with true SQ or QS decoders, did the record industry feel there was reason to justify the production of these records? Also, some of the 7" records were produced at 33 1/3 speed. None of the Seeburg Quad jukeboxes played back at 33 1/3. So, was the purpose of the 7" quad disc for playback in jukeboxes not equipped with the technology to decode or (in some cases) even play them properly? Or, were 7" quad records released for the same reason regular 45's were released? The record companies just figured that some people would rather not pay the higher price for the whole album and would purchase the "hit single" instead.
I just can't find any evidence that points to them being produced for use in jukeboxes.

How about the only CD-4, 7" single produced? I'm not talking the set up and allignment discs from JVC, and all the others, I'm talking about a genuine CD-4 45? I'll go get it and scan it after dinner. It's on the Soundbird label, Brad Miller's label, and is contains UNRELEASED quad material in any format, it is NOT Mystic Moods stuff, or Railroad Sound Effects like the rest of his label.

Quad First said:
How about the only CD-4, 7" single produced? I'm not talking the set up and allignment discs from JVC, and all the others, I'm talking about a genuine CD-4 45? I'll go get it and scan it after dinner. It's on the Soundbird label, Brad Miller's label, and is contains UNRELEASED quad material in any format, it is NOT Mystic Moods stuff, or Railroad Sound Effects like the rest of his label.

Particulary in the case of CD-4, I can't believe there was ever any intention for these to be played in jukeboxes. Even if someone had created the technology for a jukebox, the set up and maintenance of CD-4 playback on a jukebox would have been a nightmare.

Quad First said:
I had that one once. I forget the name, but it was a Soundbird 45. Heck, I probably got it from you! :D

Somehow I missed this one, referenced in THIS thread.

I have many EP's, with and without PS's, mostly on WB or ABC/Command Quadraphonic. This stuff is fairly common(for quad), fun to have but nothing(on the main)essential, I would think.

One interesting album I've yet to put in the spotlight is Ray Thomas' FROM MIGHTY OAKS, his 1975 debut solo album. It's listed as a 'quiet' QS release, and if that is so, then the singles released from the album should be QS also, even if edited. Since "High Above My Head" and "Love Is The Key" were issued as separate singles for DJ's(and combined for commercial release), logic would suggest these are QS too.

ED :)

Back