Quad 45s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlsclark

Hi, ahwile back I acquired 2 quad 45s on CBS label affiliates. One was Art Garfunkle's "All I Know/I Shall Sing" and the other "Frankenstein/Free Ride" by Edgar Winter. I had never seen any quad 45s before! Are there more? I know these were both sent to a radio station, but the labels were store color style. I assume the Garfunkle tracks are the same as on my quad Lp. I wonder if the Winter ones are? "Frankenstein" has a horrible edit into the middle sound effects. POORLY mixed would be an understatement. I assume it's that way on the Lp too. This is my first post. Thanks, Clark

Do you know the length of Frankenstein on the SQ 45?
I'm wondering if it's the same 3:45 edit on the stereo edition, which contains eight (count 'em) eight separate cuts (many less than five seconds). AFAIK, that's the record for number of cuts in a single edit -- and actually the origin of the track's name (after seeing all the splices, the band thought it resembled the monster of lore).

I never thought about what these edits would sound like if made from the quad master. Not sure what you're referring to with the "horrible edit" into the sound effects, but the quad mix -- while otherwise quite good -- has a very sloppy, abrupt start to the sequenced synth break (instead of the smooth fade-in on the original). It is appalling, and inexcusable. This occurs during the longest unedited section. If that's what you're talking about, yes, unfortunately it is in the quad album mix.

Same here eggplant, my copy of the quad album, the mix generally is good, above average I would say, but that one edit IS noticeable. I have the Garfunkel 45 and mine has 'Mary Was an Only Child' b/w 'All I Know'.

Lou Dorren produced a 45 rpm single on the Soundbird label. "A" side is Bean Whistle Rag. I believe it may have been the first quad 45 produced.

Back