Quad 8 tracks and reels

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klausschultze

:confused: I'm a long time record collector mainly of German electronic etc. I have seen a few quad eight tracks of Kraftwerk etc. floating around Ebay. I currently am just getting into SQ records (I'm amazed at what little I've heard). What's the deal with the quad eight track recorders in terms of fidelity? Also what is the availability of tape for Quad recordings?

The AKAI CR-80D-SS is considered the best recorder. Blank 8 tracks show up quite frequently on eBay. The most important thing to consider before getting into Q8 collecting is to have the proper parts to repair these tapes. Even still sealed tapes will need the splices replaced as well as the pads.

For replacement pads, there are none finer than the Win-Gib's. You might want to get a bag of these, some splicing tape, and some foil splices...

http://home.comcast.net/~dkgibson3/tracks/wingib.htm

Good Luck

klausschultze said:
Thanks for the link! How about fidelity versus the vinyl, and seperation? Do Q8's maintain their info, or degrade substantially?

Q8 can be good, it all depends on how well you can extract the audio from there and place it well in the digital domain.

BTW, other than Autobahn i've not seen anything else from Kraftwerk in quad8; for vinyl there has been some Tangerine Dream and other artists on the Ohr label releases but i've never seen a Q8 of them.
What else you've found in Q8 format on electronic music?

Last edited:
I've not seen much of the electronic on the Q8 format. Kraftwerk is all so far. I'm in the process of searching for other recordings in Quad of electronic stuff. I'll post anything I find.

klausschultze said:
I've not seen much of the electronic on the Q8 format. Kraftwerk is all so far. I'm in the process of searching for other recordings in Quad of electronic stuff. I'll post anything I find.

You can call me blonde... when i wrote the reply i had two Tomita Q8 half a meter away from me.

About Tomita, three album are more or less easy to find - snowflakes are dancing, planets, firebird; kosmos is a tough one and i've never seen a quad "bermuda Triangle", even if it is stated that had a quad release.

For the Tomita collectors, here's a question about Kosmos:
K stereo was released in different forms, here's the tracklist for USA/Japan and UK release:

1. Space Fantasy
2. Pacific 231
3. The Unanswered Question
4. "Star Wars" Main Title
5. Aranjuez
6. Peer Gynt: Solvejg's Song
7. Hora Staccato
8. The Sea Named "Solaris"

1. "Star Wars" Main Title
2. Space Fantasy
4. Peer Gynt: Solvejg's Song
5. Hora Staccato
6. The Sea Named "Solaris"

The question is: the quad version how many track has? It follows the USA or the UK songlist? Also because the running time for the 8 song version is more than 52 min, which is a tough time to fit in a single cd4 disc.

I do not know about the Q8 but here is the track list for US CD-4 release of Tomita Kosmos

1. "Star Wars" Main Title
2. Space Fantasy
3. Pacific 231
4. The Unanswered Question
5. Peer Gynt:Solvejg's Song
6. Aranjuez
7. Hora Staccato
8. The Sea Named "Solaris"

Adding up the running times listed on the CD-4 does come to over 52 minutes, I also have CD-4 copy of Bermuda Triangle, it is a Japanese import, again I do not know about a Q8 version.

Q8 Kosmos Track List:
Program 1
1. Star Wars Main Title
2. Pacific 231
3. Aranjuez
4. The Sea Named Solaris (beginning)
Program 2
1. The Sea Named Solaris (conclusion)
2. Hora Staccato
4. Space Fantasy

No times are listed on label