Quad 8-Tracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jshort74

Do I need a special 8-track player to play Quad 8-tracks?

OK. I'll go first. Yes, you need a Quad 8 track player, as a Q8 has only two "sides", since the four channels of sound take up what would be two stereo sides of a stereo eight.

I will let the experts finish up...

:-jon

As for the tracking it goes as follows {1-5 front 3-7 back} {2-6 front 4-8 back}--- {l-then -r}.1 being the front left of the first quad channel- 5 being the front right of the first quad channel....3 - left back -or rear or surround as we call it in d.t.s. encoding.... 7 is surround right.. the same pattern for the second quad channel..2 l-f-- 6 r-f-- 4 l sur... 8 r-sur.. so you need a q8 player to listen to them!
Rob

Another feature to look for on a quad 8 player is the ability to manually select between two and four channel playback. On some players this function is automatic. On others there is an external switch that allows you to select between a 2 channel (stereo) source or a 4 channel (quad) source. The reason this is handy is because if you should happen to come across any dubbed quad material on 8 track you will be able to play either the slotted quad carts or regular stereo carts in the quad mode. So, if you get someone to record you some quad 8-tracks they won't need to track down the rare slotted quad blanks to make the recording.

The best quad 8 recorder in my opinion is the Akai CR80DSS it plays and records in quad. It might be a little hatrd to find on Ebay, and it will be expensive, but well worth it if you want to go eight track. Note that it has to have the SS designation. A CR80D is not a quad unit. It is a well made stereo unit.

The Quadfather

Back