Quad Adverts from the '70s - Fun for the old and new!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Today, let's do some receiver ads from 1974. If you have dial-up, well, hang in there. Each scan is 700 pixels wide, and all are less than 200kB. Please comment so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time doing the archiving bit........... :D

Attachments

• Sanyo Receivers AD.jpg
    Sanyo Receivers AD.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 574
  • Pioneer Receivers AD.jpg
    Pioneer Receivers AD.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 618
  • Onkyo TS-500 AD.jpg
    Onkyo TS-500 AD.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 524
  • Technics AD.jpg
    Technics AD.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 576
  • QRX-6500 AD.jpg
    QRX-6500 AD.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 509
  • Fisher AD.jpg
    Fisher AD.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 524
  • Kenwood KR-6140A AD.jpg
    Kenwood KR-6140A AD.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 480
  • QRX-3500 AD.jpg
    QRX-3500 AD.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 473
nice work - as usual - jon - i have some old rags that i occasionally thumb - its funny to see old advertising. i came across a "lemon" flavored cigarette ad recently - i think it was marlboro - amazing how they even knew that that was toooooo much chemical to smoke!

all the best - w.a.reid

These are fun to look at!

It's funny to think that one can by a surround sound amplifier today for the same price as one would have paid in 1974!

J. D.

Great stuff Jon... :woopie....I love seeing old hi-fi ad's.....never a waste to put them up.....nice selection, as I've never seen some of those Sanyo models, and the Onkyo is pretty rare too. Those old Fishers look MUCH nicer in those old ad's than they do in ebay photo's......:)

Jon
Thanks so much for the pics of the Sanyo stuff! Seems like info on these units is pretty thin on the ground. Obviously not as highly thought of, nor probably the same quality as Sansui, Pioneer etc, but I love them. My parents gave me a DCX 3100K for my 21st birthday in 1977 and I still have it plus an extra unit my wife bought for me a few years ago as backup. This unit is still in current use as my surround system for DVD-A etc. I also have two DC 6100Ks and am trying at present to get hold of a DC 8500K which I think may have been their top of the line model? I also have one of the baby Pioneer units shown as well. Nonetheless I'd still love to get hold of a QRX 9001 given their reputation but I've never seen one, never mind heard one. Not even sure whether they were available in Australia? If anyone has any pointers to info, material, manuals for Sanyo Quad stuff, please let me know.
Regards
Tom

Check out this Sansui ad featuring their product line and find the rare beast that you never see advertised!

(Actually, there are quite a few rare beasts in this ad, since this is the" black line". Check out the black versions of the 9090DB and the rest of the products. Not sure why they never made it to the US.

Attachments

• Sansui ad.jpg
    Sansui ad.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 473
Check out this Sansui ad featuring their product line and find the rare beast that you never see advertised!

(Actually, there are quite a few rare beasts in this ad, since this is the" black line". Check out the black versions of the 9090DB and the rest of the products. Not sure why they never made it to the US.

which one in particular do you speak of - ?

and wheres the second page?

w.a.reid

Love the "joystick" balance control on a couple of those receivers!!! Question: Was this type of balance knob considered less desirable? Looks cool and, I suppose, the joystick maybe more-or-less worked; but I wonder if it might would've been easier to fine tune the balance using four separate knobs, instead?

which one in particular do you speak of - ?

and wheres the second page?

w.a.reid

The QRX-999 of course, which is the black face QRX-9001. For some reason, then did not put the QRX-777 in this ad. Strange.
The second page was basically speakers, so I didn't scan it.

Such things of beauty!

Still the zenith of HiFi in my not so humble opinion.

I remember reading all of those advertisements in... let's see... I used to subscribe to Stereo Review, High Fidelity, Audio, HiFi Stereo, and couple more of which I've forgotten their names.

Thanks Jon.

EDIT: Oh, and Kazaam, those joystick controls worked by connecting the one lever through linkages to four separate conventional contols and so you were actually turning all four at once instead of having to turn each one individually.

Doug

Anyone have one of the QRX-999's?.....Sansui afficiado's been going on for years how some of the European Sansui's (i.e.G-901 european ver. of G-9000) sound better than the U.S. ones. Is that true for the QRX-9001/QRX-999 models....anyone know??
Once again.....thanks for posting these jon.:)

I find the blurb on the Onkyo unit very enticing. They bravely (or is that sincerely?) quote RMS per channel power output when a lot of manufacturers were still quoting peak, music power or some other useless rubbish. The thing that caught my eye was the fact that it quotes that it has an inbuilt decoder for EV as well as the regular QS & SQ. All with full logic, whatever that may mean in those days. The interesting thing was it apparently has an automatic mode that determines from the source material the type of matrix encoding used. I wonder how good it was? Does anyone have one of these to let us know? I expect that it may lie occasionally with OOP content on some stereo recordings etc. Given lots of the discussions I've followed on this and other forums, it'd be nice to know if such a thing had a good success rate as us humans at times can't decide at times whether someting is intentionally encoded or not. It would at least indicate to which format the phase of the music was leaning towards. Given the experience of some electronic gadgetry from the seventies, its sensitivity or lack thereof would probably be the death of it

I have one! :D

Here's a post that has scans of the actual brochure. You'll have to scroll down the thread a bit. This is an *old* thread, in fact it's the 39th thread in the database! (this thread is number 12, 641)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?39

Very VERY nice in black.....After seeing those brochure pic's, I might actually prefer the look of the black 999 to the silver 9001's.

.....not usually something I'd say out loud.....
.....another roaring triumph for the :worthySansui brochure marketing people.....worked on me.... :)

The QRX-999 of course, which is the black face QRX-9001. For some reason, then did not put the QRX-777 in this ad. Strange.
The second page was basically speakers, so I didn't scan it.

ohhhhh one of those european models - i dated a european model once - - - -- - then i woke up !

hey but the next page is going to show the sp50 - i have a quadset of those and theres my sr929 - sure hide the good stuff - i think i have the same advert/brochure for the qrx999 - but mine, of course, is the 9001 version.

i will find all my literature and --i dunno - is there an area on this forum to store scans - pix - stuff like that ? i have some tech schems that could be useful to some - and i will - no doubt - lose.

w.a.reid

.........hey but the next page is going to show the sp50 - i have a quadset of those and theres my sr929 - sure hide the good stuff - i think i have the same advert/brochure for the qrx999 - but mine, of course, is the 9001 version.........

OK. I hate to disappoint my member, er, members! :D

Attachments

• Sansui ad pg 2.jpg
    Sansui ad pg 2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 413
Love these ads from when I was a kid... I remember a neighbor used to have either the SP-5000As or the 4500As and they moved some SERIOUS air!!! I had never heard such deep bass from a home speaker until then...

Of course the confusion these ads caused is probably one reason why quad never caught on. That you or I understood the basics is one thing, but the 'average' consumer--even one familiar with the audiophile mags like SR--probably wondered what it was all about. The record companies compounded the confusion, since they stated you could play quad albums on a stereo system and 'upgrade' later, which could be done in any number of ways but, again, confusing to someone with a cheap stereo.

Great ads, though, keep 'em comin'!

ED :)

Back