Quad Adverts from the '70s - Fun for the old and new!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a new one I found. I figured "w.a." wouldl like to see this one, so here's the whole thing! Sansui product line circa 1977. Late in the quad lifespan, but some mighty nice stuff! :D

Attachments

• SAnsui Ad 2 Pager from Off Duty.jpg
    SAnsui Ad 2 Pager from Off Duty.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 340
youre right jon - i do want to see it - and i like it !

i have the 8080 and 9090 - both db models - and the fr 5080 - and the sr 929 - and the qrx8001 - - but not until i see this ad do i realize the qrx 9001 and 8001 are different - i dont use the 8001 - im not sure exactly where it is - but i thought the two were the same except the power. all of this leads me to a question i will post.....somewhere - move it if i dont put it in the right spot.

w.a.reid

Jon:

Heck yeah, keep the old quad equipment brochures scans coming. It is a shame you can no longer go into an electronics store and get equipment brochures to take home to study. Reading equipment specs online just isn't the same.

Justin

For w.a. and other Sansui fans, here's a better look at the QRX-9001 and QRX-8001 from the ad above in post 21

Attachments

• Sansui QRXs.jpg
    Sansui QRXs.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 354
  • QRX-2.jpg
    QRX-2.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 309
Oh my..... the days of those HUGE heavy speakers with the 15-inch woofers!!!!!

Back in the mid to late 1980s in the pre-Web for me days I devoted a LOT of hours in various library dungeons seeking the "Truth" about quadraphonics.

Multitudes of audio-related magazines, books, pamphlets were perused.

I visited libraries at various cities, towns, burghs and hamlets in the greater San Francisco Bay area out to the outlaying settlements up to 90 miles away as time and opportunity permitted.

On the whole, information was scant. A few of the libraries possessed material that most of the other libraries did not have but the major publications such as the mainstream audio-related magazines were mostly shared.

While researching I also viewed quad from a marketing viewpoint and was not impressed.

On the whole, reviews of individual quad components at mainstream audio-related magazines trended towards the reviewer being unimpressed with quad and letters to the editor often lambasted quad.

The Web sure did assist with quad folks finding each other and communicating.

While researching I found a few snail mails and made attempts to reach those interested in quad with some success.

One result being the short-lived printed newsletter titled.... what? Quad Quarterly??

With the wide-spread adoption of the Web the inevitable changes occurred.

It is nifty being able to peek at those old ads.

Nice post, scifi! I remember those etco catalogs, although I had totally forgetten about them. What a flashback!

THANKS

I think Etco went out of business. The only thing I had to do to get the QC-04 working was to add a diode or two, IIRC. A schematic came with it and it was almost complete.

jeez, i can still remember being in the px/bxes on the military bases, not to mention the japanese hi-fi shops/stores, in the greater tokyo area back in '73 and '74 when i was stationed there, and seeing most if not all of those receivers and all the other quad (and stereo) gear 'in the flesh', as it were. i was totally floored seeing all that beautiful gear.

the receiver that, to this day, the image of which stands out in my mind the most, is one of the bigger (biggest ?) akai quad receivers, with its four gorgeous blue vu (and tuning, etc) meters. '9900' or something...

it may have been this pioneer i'm thinking of, or an akai that looks similar.
4021808466_f9f88b19b3_o.jpg

re all that gear, THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!

edit-

aha, here it is, the akai AS-980. supposedly the above pio may have been cloned from this one-
4021825196_aa760a4587_o.jpg

Last edited:
The SQ encoded Edgar Winter album I have seems to have a better quadraphonic effect compared to the SQ encoded DSOTM album I have. Is it possible they made more than one SQ tape for the same album which might differ in quality from other SQ tapes? The DSTOM album I have was made in Yugoslavia, but still says Harvest on it. I'm wondering if more than one master and mother (ie. first record and mold) was made from different SQ tapes, possibly in different countries or elsewhere that might differ in quality from each other.

See http://eil.com/explore/guide/vinyl_making.asp for more information.

Still fascinating after all these years. I like how EV wrote "Peace" at the end of that ad. Bunch of hippies. \:^)

The company I used to work for would eventually buy EV.

The Pioneer and Akai receivers are both gorgeous, westgate. Regardless of which was cloned from which.

Doug

Still fascinating after all these years. I like how EV wrote "Peace" at the end of that ad. Bunch of hippies. \:^)

The company I used to work for would eventually buy EV.

The Pioneer and Akai receivers are both gorgeous, westgate. Regardless of which was cloned from which.

Doug

for sure.
i also used to drool over the ev amps, receivers, and tuners of that era, much like the images in the above post. but as i already had a complete pioneer quad setup, couldn't really justify spending any more cash on similar components.

Back