Quad Cassette Recorder Recommendation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi,
I have a friend who would like to purchase a quad cassette recorder either from Ebay or from someone who has one they'd like to sell. Does anyone have one they'd like to sell or could someone recommend a model number to search for on Ebay? It would obviously need four channel input and output. If I'm not mistaken there were some four channel cassette recorders that were made that had four channels in, but only two out.
I appreciate any info you can provide.
Thanks

The only ones that I know about are like the Fostex and TEAC units that are used by musicians to record their songs at home. These are little mini-studios that do sound on sound like the old syml-sync reels of the '70s.

:-jon

also YAMAHA makes one that you can record/pay 4 channels. same time (MT 100) i did some testing on it and it's ok but rather stick with a open quad R2R.

Gerardo

I OWN A SONY TC-137 SD AND IN THE SPECIFICATIONS SAYS THAT WITH UNIPHASE RECORDING* YOU CAN REC SQ ENCODED RECORDS. MAY BE IT WORKS FOR YOU dr8track!

*I would thank if someone can tell me what does this mean.-

THANKS AND GOOD QUADING.-

With what you'd spend on these you could go with a computer and decent sound card and burn it to cdr. stereo to decoder and have better sound , NO!? Or go the whole route and d.t.s. encoded software to cdr.!- Even the d.t.s. softwre route is'nt an issue either/ if you know where to ask!
Just a thought

JAZZIQUAD,

BIG difference between true 4 channel (aka 4 track) cassette porta-studios and what you refer to.

The SONY reference is the implication that their playback is so precise that the SQ matrix decoding performance is intact on a 2 channel (2 track) STEREO recording. Yeah, right....

The record / playback process on cassette decks introduces so much phase shift that the SQ decoder would easily be confused and the quad effect would NOT be intact as it would from the original vinyl LP.

EXTRA CREDIT: Who can name the only quadraphonic cassette deck to ever be listed in the equipment buyer's guides? What city was the company from? C'mon impress me!

I think that is was a
NEAL recorder I have a picture of it some were
It had twin VU meters on each side of the Tape
I do not know if there were Many made as Phillips
did not approve
It ran all the tracks in one direction
There was a 8 track Cass. track from JVC
I don't think there were made
Also JVC made a demo.Elcassete with 4 channels

Holy track width! A quad Elcasette? Never knew that. In 1972 Pioneer was tinkering with Hipac cartridges also projected for possible quad, all for naught...

Never heard of the Neal deck. The answer I was looking for was Astrocom-Marlux from Oneonta, NY. It appeared once in the 1972 directory and vanished.

Eight tiny tracks became common later in portastudios, but were positively perilous in design and execution back then.

timbre4

While it's not a recorder, I managed to find a Craig auto cassette player that has a matrix position, and four channels out. It was advertised as being able to convert stereo to quad. It works great with quad encoded material recorded to cassette, gives you a noticable difference between front and rear channels, while maintaining a respectable left and right separation. I have it hooked up in an antique car.

yes you are right
I went and checked I had the right tape in mind but the wrong name
Also I found it in
Stereo Review Yearly 1972/73/74
The neal was stereo

Forgive me, but there is generally far too much phase error in the cassette record/play process to accurately represent a true quad recording. (especially this vintage of gear)

Dozens of car stereos had a matrix position to accentuate the out-of phase information and passively send that to the rear channels. The SQ dubs while not being decoded would benefit because there is plenty of deliberate out-of-phase information to detect.

It was also far cheaper to make and sell than true 4 channel gear. (think about how many "matrix-capable" players were only ever hooked up to 2 speakers!)

Happy accidents, nothing more. Please don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of these, but they should not be mistaken for more technically capable playback situations.

timbre4

Back