Quad Curiosity/Questions from the East Coast.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babysfirstquad

Hello there to any Quadraphonic Gentlemen/Ladies,
My name is Daniel from the East Coast, and I was wondering if anybody that knows more about quadraphonic more than I do can help me out with something.

Recently, I ordered an 1972 SQ Copy of "Super Session" with Al Kooper, Michael Bloomfield (on side A), and Stephen Stills (on side B). My intention with this record is to hopefully Play it on
ATLP-60 turntable hooked to a Sony STR-D911 (with 5 speakers) since I always wanted to hear quadraphonic sound in my room.
The only downfall for this is that despite most SQ/QS records being compatible with any regular stereo system, I am mostly worried that it wouldn't work for me mostly because of my doubtful self thinking that I would need a Separate decoder for the SQ.
I am also wondering if there are any other decoders (online possibly) that could work for me when working with other Quad records with my current system.

I apologize in advance if these questions/thoughts seems a little bit unfocused. I'm just a little excited to figure this stuff out with me being an autistic 18-year old.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
from
Daniel D.

P.S: Enclosed are pictures of my Turntable/Receiver/Speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_204110846.jpg
    IMG_20210223_204110846.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20210223_204133206.jpg
    IMG_20210223_204133206.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20210223_204151979.jpg
    IMG_20210223_204151979.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 90
The SACD uses a new 5.1 mix by Al Kooper. No digital reissue of the discrete quad (yet)--though I think there was a Japanese CD that used the SQ-encoded stereo?

Ooops! You're right! Been so long I forgot that!

Good catch

And yes, there was an SQ CD from Japan.

Daniel, first of all, welcome to the group. You're off to a good start. Your turntable is perfectly capable of playing SQ and QS records without problem. Your receiver's Dolby Pro Logic II decoder will deliver a surround effect with the SQ-encoded record you're waiting for; the only downside of that is that the placement of sounds in the back speakers won't be quite accurate. As was mentioned by furui-suterloo, Pro Logic II is closer to QS, and will decode that system accurately. Enjoy what you have now, and when you're ready to take the next step, or merely have questions, you know where to come. Again, welcome, and enjoy your new, and truly addictive, hobby.

Technically, as far as sound element location, you need the correct decoder for any given system but, as others have said, any decoder will do something with any encoded record. Heck, when I switch my Sony SQ decoder to RM (Regular Matrix) while an SQ record is playing, although sounds get moved around, it still provides a satisfying quad effect.

So yeah, just go headlong into it and have fun. It's what I did back in the seventies and it's been wonderful ever since then.

Welcome.

Doug

Back