Quad Disc not playing correctly on Oppo BDP-105 D Blu Ray player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently discovered that the quad layer audio setting on blu ray discs is not playing properly on my Oppo player. On both the Doobie Brothers and Chicago Quadio discs they play in slow motion. When I switch to the stereo layer it plays fine. I also recently purchased the Gentle Giant Freehand Blu ray disc and the Dolby Atmos layer played perfectly fine. When I switch to play the quadraphonic layer once again it plays in slow motion. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Oppo player? I’m guessing that whatever settings I have the player on right now is not compatible to playing the quad versions. I just dont know what settings would be compatible to play the quad layer correctly.

Yes, it’s so weird. The Gentle Giant disc has multiple formats to play and the only one that plays incorrectly or in slow motion is the quadrophonic layer. At one point I was having issues with DVD discs not playing the DTS layer and that was fixed In the settings. Blu ray discs played the DTS version fine, but not DVD discs. Before that settings adjustment the quadio discs played normal and since that adjustment this slow motion problem has cropped up. I’m reaching out only because the person that fixed the earlier issue has gone AWOL on me. I have two Oppo players and this issue is happening on both players which leads me to believe it’s a simple settings adjustment.

I have two Oppo players and this issue is happening on both players which leads me to believe it’s a simple settings adjustment.
Is it possible that there's some incompatibility between the player and what it's plugged into? We know there's equipment out there that stupidly can't handle a pure 4.0 stream and plays it as 2.0, I wonder if this is some other manifestation of the same or a similar issue.

I haven't had the slow issue myself, but when I was running Kodi on an Odroid C2 4.0 files reliably played back at double speed. The workaround was to use SoX to convert the 4.0 files to 5.1. You shouldn't have to do that, but it might be a workaround if you're comfortable ripping and fiddling.

Come to think of it, maybe you'd only have to rip since I believe Music Media Helper (search the forum) can do the 4.0->5.1 conversion for you.

the player is hooked into a high quality integrated amp for two channel and multi channel plays through a Sonos Arc sound bar. These quad discs did play correctly at one time and just a few weeks ago. it was after a settings change to allow for the DTS layer to play on DVD discs that i noticed these quad discs no longer play correctly.

These quad discs did play correctly at one time and just a few weeks ago. it was after a settings change to allow for the DTS layer to play on DVD discs that i noticed these quad discs no longer play correctly.
My mistake, you did clearly say that. I sure can't imagine what setting would do that, though. Is 5.1 still working?

Yes, the 5.1 is working with dts or Dolby Atmos. A few weeks ago the dts layer was not playing at all then my tech guy adjusted the settings and it worked and that has now impacted playing the quad layer on any of the discs that have that option.

I play the quad version of Freehand on my Oppo 95 and it's fine BUT what I had to do was re select the Multi channel option by switching between the stereo and multi in the setup menu. You would have noticed from the my thread ( which you responded to the other day).
But as for playing slow, that is a software fault where the digital clock is reading the wrong sample rate. I've never heard of that but I would suggest reinitilising the unit to its original state...yes you will have to put your levels and distance numbers in again, but hoping the initialising will solve your problem.

I recently discovered that the quad layer audio setting on blu ray discs is not playing properly on my Oppo player. On both the Doobie Brothers and Chicago Quadio discs they play in slow motion. When I switch to the stereo layer it plays fine. I also recently purchased the Gentle Giant Freehand Blu ray disc and the Dolby Atmos layer played perfectly fine. When I switch to play the quadraphonic layer once again it plays in slow motion. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Oppo player? I’m guessing that whatever settings I have the player on right now is not compatible to playing the quad versions. I just dont know what settings would be compatible to play the quad layer correctly.
I had an odd thing happen when I played the Chicago quadio discs (at least one of them) on my 105D. The video disappeared, although the audio played fine. I eventually tracked it down to a corrupted USB stick. I removed it and everything was fine.

Recently (in the past week), I had an issue with slow menu selection. Last night I unplugged the USB sticks and everything is fine again. I haven’t had a chance yet to check the sticks on my PC.

I play the quad version of Freehand on my Oppo 95 and it's fine BUT what I had to do was re select the Multi channel option by switching between the stereo and multi in the setup menu. You would have noticed from the my thread ( which you responded to the other day).
But as for playing slow, that is a software fault where the digital clock is reading the wrong sample rate. I've never heard of that but I would suggest reinitilising the unit to its original state...yes you will have to put your levels and distance numbers in again, but hoping the initialising will solve your problem.
Ok thanks for this. I’ll give it a try tonight. Appreciate the feedback.

I had an odd thing happen when I played the Chicago quadio discs (at least one of them) on my 105D. The video disappeared, although the audio played fine. I eventually tracked it down to a corrupted USB stick. I removed it and everything was fine.

Recently (in the past week), I had an issue with slow menu selection. Last night I unplugged the USB sticks and everything is fine again. I haven’t had a chance yet to check the sticks on my PC.
Thanks for the response. I don’t have usb sticks installed on my system.

I contacted Oppo customer service and they were very helpful. Got part of the problem solved. They had me change the HDMI audio to Bitstream and that solved the slow motion play back issue I was having on playing Quad blu ray discs. The latest problem is that the sound on quad discs is not coming out of the rear speakers. Only the front channels have sound coming out so the music is not cohesive. Only hear certain parts. . The customer service rep thinks it has to do with a setting or connection downstream from the Oppo player and nothing to do with the Oppo player itself. Been fussing with TV settings and not getting it to work. Uggh!!

Not having read the above thread, I noticed you mentioned TV settings. Depending on hookup, the hdmi handshake with the tv can limit playback to 2 channel in some circumstances. Does hdmi go direct from Oppo to receiver?

right now I have a poor man's set up related to my surround system as I wanted to test the waters first. I have a high end analogue integrated amp separate for music and not a home theater amp. This is hooked up to a Sonos ARC. I've always had a bunch of DVD and Blu Ray discs that I've never been able to play so just now diving in and am liking surround a lot.

I suggest as a partial solution is getting a new HDMI cable which supports 4K high resolution. I used to get some issues such as yours until I upgraded my HDMI cable

Ok thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into that for sure. This issue gets crazier all of the time. A week or so ago my IT guy installed new routers and while he was here I had him play with the TV settings and we got it working perfectly fine. A couple days later there was a power failure and I had to reboot the routers and then this playback issue cropped up again on the quad discs and I can’t get it solved. The settings adjustment that made it work was on the Sony TV and in Audio Output he changed it to the “Auto” position and presto it worked. Now it doesn’t again and I have all of the tv settings set to the position where it worked. It’s got to be something with the lack of signal being received by the TV so I’ll verify the hdmi cables as you suggest.

i also have playback issues on my Rush farewell to kings Atmos blu ray disc. It plays but no sound. The DTS layer on that disc plays fine. All other Atmos discs I have play fine just this rush disc. Technology sucks!

A week or so ago my IT guy installed new routers and while he was here I had him play with the TV settings and we got it working perfectly fine. A couple days later there was a power failure and I had to reboot the routers and then this playback issue cropped up again on the quad discs and I can’t get it solved....
I can't think of a reason why your home network would cause your disc playback to become unstable.

The obvious check would be to temporarily disconnect the ethernet cable (and/or WiFi) from your OPPO and spin some discs...

I don’t think it’s anything with the home network or Oppo player. When this works it’s because of a settings adjustment in the Sony tv thats made. I heard it a week or so ago with my own ears play perfectly fine and then a few days later it started not playing correctly again. It has to do with the tv and Sonos arc sound bar I think. For some reason the tv loses signal or connection to the sound bar. The sound bar gets the proper signal because I can see it on the Sonos app. When a quad disc plays it shows it as 4.0.

Back