Quad in the desert: Modular California Vibes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franck

QQ Supporter
Last week, I brought my complete quad system in some awesome locations around Los Angeles as part of Modular California Vibes project.

IMG_0439.jpeg

That's a solo piece I was working on. I hope you will enjoy the picture. All the gear was powered from solar panels, either via batteries on a bus or from some portable batteries.

I also did some textures on top of techno tracks with Joachim Garraud, Trovarsi and Hugo Paris.

We are sorting out all the content, but we have already posted on several social networks, so if you are curious look for #ModularCaliforniaVibes

I want to thanks all our sponsors that made this trip possible:
WMD, Elektron, ns.instruments, 6amgroup, Moog synthesizersm Novationm Shakmat modular, TrackClub, Izotope, Chauvet DJ, Email-Experts

If you have questions, AMA.

That is pretty cool!!

How did you record it?

Ie: did you use any mics as well as a feed from your modular? I would be tempted to capture some outdoor ambience & mix it in, if the wind wasn't too strong?

Beautiful scenery!

That is pretty cool!!

How did you record it?

Ie: did you use any mics as well as a feed from your modular? I would be tempted to capture some outdoor ambience & mix it in, if the wind wasn't too strong?

Beautiful scenery!
Thanks

I have a Zoom H6, so with 4 entries I record the quad, and then there is the ambient mic on it. We had a drone taking videos, so the outdoor ambiance sometimes was not ideal for this shoot. I usually use the ambient sound to fade in and out from the performance. The mic is stereo, so we would loose the quad, may be I need an ambisonic mic, to capture it the way I kind of hear it from the speakers.

You can see my audio setup here:

Some of these tracks produced during #ModularCaliforniaVibes will be available for licensing on TrackClub as stems.

This thread reminded me of another desert recording in surround.

This one is Live at Joshua Tree by Aussie band Rufus Du Sol (Available in Atmos from Apple and Tidal, possibly Amazon too):

I’m heading out to the Aussie outback for a month in a few weeks and was wondering how I can listen to my surround music out there… Its not going to happen I don’t think.

This one is Live at Joshua Tree by Aussie band Rufus Du Sol (Available in Atmos from Apple and Tidal, possibly Amazon too):

I’m heading out to the Aussie outback for a month in a few weeks and was wondering how I can listen to my surround music out there… Its not going to happen I don’t think.

Thanks, I will check it out...

I have a set of 4 small desktop speakers, that I carry around when I just want to record, without public. Nowadays, the solution seems to go towards Apple Music with airpod with dynamic head tracking. It is not fully there yet, they need to build in a custom HRTF. I see Dolby Atmos adding custom HRTF to the Dolby Renderer, so the industry is making some progress.

I bought this portable battery station this week. 2200W ac max continuous output (2048Wh) plus a bunch of DC outputs to run/charge various devices via USB, cigarette lighter socket etc: Also chargeable from ac, car cigarette lighter, portable solar panels etc. And you add up to 6kWhrs of additional portable batteries to run your house in a blackout!

Anyway I could use this to run a set of PC surround speakers I guess…

Interesting practical demo:

And yet another, (loosely) similar recording: Floating Points' Reflections - Mojave Desert (still available via Bandcamp - the CD+DVD version includes a 5.1 DD mix).

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/floating-points-feature

And yet another, (loosely) similar recording: Floating Points' Reflections - Mojave Desert (still available via Bandcamp - the CD+DVD version includes a 5.1 DD mix).

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/floating-points-feature

LOVE the samples. The DVD also includes a 30 minute documentary of their time spent in the Mojave desert and I love their comment that the threat of being eaten alive by coyotes was omnipresent! Yowsa!

Humprof, how is the DD 5.1 mix on the DVD?

LOVE the samples. The DVD also includes a 30 minute documentary of their time spent in the Mojave desert and I love their comment that the threat of being eaten alive by coyotes was omnipresent! Yowsa!

Humprof, how is the DD 5.1 mix on the DVD?
It's . . . interesting. It's an inspired project on the whole, though I think FP was more interested in using hyperdirectional mics to explore nature sounds (wind, etc.) and the natural reverberation of rock formations (and other features of the desert landscape) than he was in "surround sound" in the way we tend to think of it on QQ. One or two tracks do have some deliberately wacky circular pans, though in practice most of the record is fronts-centric. Well worth having, just the same, for the film, the concept, and the idiosyncratic conception of surround.

Back