quad LP playback?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The phono cartridge should also have frequency response to about 45kHz and channel separation (above 15kHz) of at least 12dB (20dB would be better).

The turntable should have low capacitance tonearm wiring.

Not many current phono cartridge/turntable makers provide this info though, asking here in QQ about whether various phono cartridges/turntables work for CD-4 is probably your best bet.

Kirk Bayne

I'm using a JVC_4DD-5 demodulator with a Rega 1 turntable. I'm using my old Audio Technica AT-12s that I kept from the mid 70's. My question is around the Rega 1 turntable. The JVC demodulator came with new cables, but I can't install them on the Rega 1 due to the way the cables are attached to the tonearm. So I'm not sure if the Rega 1 has low capacitance tonearm wiring already built in.

Did a quick Google search for the Rega 1, didn't find anything about tonearm wiring (IIRC, most turntables made since the CD-4 era [from ~1972] have low capacitance tonearm wiring), contacting Rega seems like the best option.

It may not be necessary to use the cables from JVC, CD-4 demods can compensate for 45kHz being lower amplitude than 20kHz, which would be caused by high(er) capacitance wiring.

Kirk Bayne

Back