Quad-n00b.. :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeitkind

Hi.. just got this link from a friend.. I did not know, that Quad is still alive.. :)

I bought a Kenwood KSQ-20 about 15 years ago and never saw a device like this again. I love this little box - though I have to admit that some CDs and Vinyls sound .. strange when running with matrix switched on. It seems, that sometimes some instruments got mixed in a strange way and end up on the rear speakers for no real reason (eg. some Fleetwood Mac LPs I have, also a 90's Whitesnake one - drums from behind are.. weird.. ^^). I even didn't know that there were special vinyls to provide SQ untill I read it here.. I guess, many vinyls I have are just SQed by default because the master was..
The vinyl/CD showing the quad-effect best was always "Time" from the dark side of the moon, but I never thought about googling for the reason..

Anyway, I'm not a purist as many other here are, I just like the way the decoder brings some 3D into the music and "fills" the room. My equipment isn't that good - I have 2 Sony APM-55 as front and 2 JBL Control (these tiny little ones) as rear - just enough for me. I was wondering for years, how this quad works, reading the equations here was the first real information I got - thanx btw for that ;)
So.. well.. my knowledge of physics and computer are not too bad, so I just decided to try my own little *en*codings of not-SQ-quad-stuff. The programs available (for my PC or my Mac) are so powerful - it must be possible to re-mix some of my favorit-non-quad-CD to minimal quad-feeling :) - eg. Lamb lies down on broadwy, Misplaced Childhood, some Brian Eno CDs, Consequences (which could be real funny) and simular.
My english is somehow.. limited, so it's not easy to explain, but I'd like to try to "move" some "only-left-or-only-right" stuff to the rear by remixing the CD-rips. Did anyone ever tried this? Are there any plug-ins for standard-programs available or are there any hand-made-filters known?
thanx for any info :)

Welcome! The best program I know of for this kind of thing is Adobe Audition, the latest version (1.5) has a "Center Channel Extration" mode (which I think is horrible), but it does have a very effective vocal removal filter.

Back