Quad on cassette

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Observation. Record a quad matrix LP onto cassette tape. Enable Dolby S for recording and enable for playback.

Ugghhhh. Sounds terrible!!!! Dolby S interferes terribly with a decoder. Any idea why?

Cassettes are dying out but, until I buy a burner of some type some day cassette is what I have. I love Dolby S, the only Dolby form I like. Believe it or not, on some of the stereo LPs I recorded the tape actually sounded better then the LP!!!! The recording sounded better than the source material!!!!!!!!!

Anyway.... just curious. What is it about Dolby S that interferes terribly with a decoder's function?

It is impossible for a recording technique to enhance the quality of a recording when making a copy. Perhaps the cassette deck is losing something you don't like or adding something you do like. You may want to consider a pair of equalizers for your home setup.

The Quadfather

One would think that a duplicate could not meet or beat the source material. However, when recording numerous older LPs it was apparent the recording's output was superior to the source materail. Perhaps it's akin to the way a decoder improves the sound field of a stereo source.

My recordings had less of the "vinyl noise" those older LPs had. And, the sound was generally "cleaner" giving an enhanced listening experience.

I don't know how the improvement occured but, to my ears, the aural improvement was present!!!!

According to the tate manual, they caution about using ANY noise reduction technique that uses compresson/expansion in the process. I believe DBX and Dolby S both use it. It will produce audible pumping artifacts.

Probably due to a high end rolloff. But then again, computer filtering definitely improves the sound of a recording by removing something undesirable. This could be the case with the cassette recording.

The Quadfather

Tab could I get a copy of the owners manual at some point in the future, I don't have one and would like one to see just what this baby is capable of etc. :smokin:

The dbx would work if you decode-expand it before the SQ decode. - then again it might not! :smokin:

Thanks, Rob

Back