Quad Rachmaninoff on CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
The recording of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 performed by Arthur Rubinstein and the Philadelphia Orchestra was originally released only a a Quad Reel and a CD-4 LP. There was no stereo release of this recording when it was originally released. This recording is now out on a CD called "The Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 60." My first question is - does anyone have this CD and do the liner notes say anything about it being remixed to stereo for the CD release? The next question is - if an LP was originally released only as CD-4, and the master tape used to make the LP was used to make a CD, would it be decodable? I presume not, since the CD would not carry any information over 20K.

As an experiment, I recorded an online sample of one of the movements, and decoded it in Adobe Audition using scripts for both QS and SQ. I have the quad reel for comparison, and the SQ decoding sounded sort of close, with dryer sound in the front and more ambience in the rears.

J. D.

Any decoding attempt on this CD would only result in fake quad (with classical music would still sound pretty good) as the discrete system was designed to be, well, discrete -no encoding is involved in the process. The rear information was carried on a high frequency carrier wave which was demodulated on playback to give you the full 4 channels.

Some of the RCA quad releases were latter re-released in Dolby surround CD's which would have entailed encoding the original quad master tapes into the Dolby Surround -some Tomita recordings and some of the Classic Film Score Series were re-released on CD in this format.

Back