Quad Reel to Reel tapes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One trick I use is going to major cities with older junky looking used record stores. They can have old boxes of reels put away no one seems to want. If you go for crate digging, this may be an option. I found some of my Q8s in a shop that charged 1 buck eack for 8tracks and had no interest if they were quad. Knowing what logos to scan for on tape boxes helps too. That auction site has reels but not as much any more. This type of collecting needs patience and coin. I've only splurged on stuff I couldn't get on other formats or just had to have the album. The rest sorta fell into my lap from extensive auction searches and pouncing on deals.

Knowing what logos to scan for on tape boxes helps too.

This is very important. Beware of things like "Phase 4" or similar wording. They are not quad. True quadraphonic reels say "Q4".
They also only have songs on one 'side' of the tape, because all four tracks are recorded in the same direction ... and labeled on one side only.

Attachments

• P1020827QQ.JPG
    P1020827QQ.JPG
    590.9 KB · Views: 207
  • P1020828QQ.JPG
    P1020828QQ.JPG
    566.3 KB · Views: 181
I have been collecting factory pre recorded reel tapes for many years and have several hundred bought from thrift stores but I have NEVER found a Quad reel in one of those stores. I have never found a quad reel in a pawn shop. I have a nice collection of Quad reels and every one has been purchased on ebay. Unless you get lucky in an estate sale, a member here or some other freaky occurance, ebay is the way. The light at the end of the tunnel for someone looking for Quadraphonic software are the many SACD quads available from Dutton/Volcalion. These quads could go away at any time (like several other quad sources have in the last few years), so you better get them asap.This website will tell you all you need to know.

I have been collecting factory pre recorded reel tapes for many years and have several hundred bought from thrift stores but I have NEVER found a Quad reel in one of those stores. I have never found a quad reel in a pawn shop. I have a nice collection of Quad reels and every one has been purchased on ebay. Unless you get lucky in an estate sale, a member here or some other freaky occurance, ebay is the way. The light at the end of the tunnel for someone looking for Quadraphonic software are the many SACD quads available from Dutton/Volcalion. These quads could go away at any time (like several other quad sources have in the last few years), so you better get them asap.This website will tell you all you need to know.
Hi @TVB, just curious, were most of those ebay purchases in the advertised "condition" compared to how you would rate the condition?

I never received a Q4 that didnt work and all were in very nice condition. I never got ripped off. One
"America" Q4 came in the original box, but not on the original reel. This tape sounded excellent and was the real deal. I thought it was defective the first time I played it because the back channels didn't kick in right away, but when they did I, was blown away. If I remember, most of my Q4's were untested and sold as is. Of course, I made back up copies on another Q4 deck. There was one Q4 Seals and Crofts "Unborn Child" that had a dull high end, which makes me believe the seller copied his Q4 and sold me the copy instead of the original. On a scary note, I've had 2 Q4s go bad both on Warner Brother's tape (Diamond girl and Summer Breeze). I had to make copies of the copies and thankfully the 2nd gen copies still sound suprisingly sound good. My other WB tapes are still good. The America tape squeals on occasion so it might also be on its way out (I'm hoping for the Doobies Quadio and maybe a Seals and Crofts Quadio in the future). I'm thinking about making additional back up tape's of my favorites just in case because my preference is listening to them on reels (not digitized). By the way, if you ever see the little Fostex Q4 deck get it because its perfect for playing and recording Q4's. I got one on line practically for free (just paid shipping) because the seller said it didn't output sound. He had the deck threaded wrong! I have been very happy with the Q4 sound. I have 30 plus original Q4's, the most expensive being the Doobies "Stampede" about $60. The only tape I don't like is the "New Seekers" Q4. I know all music is subjective, but man, that's some lousy music

Thanks for the info. I’m really looking for quad reel to reel tapes under the original label . Any suggestions ? Thanks

I never received a Q4 that didnt work and all were in very nice condition. I never got ripped off. One
"America" Q4 came in the original box, but not on the original reel. This tape sounded excellent and was the real deal. I thought it was defective the first time I played it because the back channels didn't kick in right away, but when they did I, was blown away. If I remember, most of my Q4's were untested and sold as is. Of course, I made back up copies on another Q4 deck. There was one Q4 Seals and Crofts "Unborn Child" that had a dull high end, which makes me believe the seller copied his Q4 and sold me the copy instead of the original. On a scary note, I've had 2 Q4s go bad both on Warner Brother's tape (Diamond girl and Summer Breeze). I had to make copies of the copies and thankfully the 2nd gen copies still sound suprisingly sound good. My other WB tapes are still good. The America tape squeals on occasion so it might also be on its way out (I'm hoping for the Doobies Quadio and maybe a Seals and Crofts Quadio in the future). I'm thinking about making additional back up tape's of my favorites just in case because my preference is listening to them on reels (not digitized). By the way, if you ever see the little Fostex Q4 deck get it because its perfect for playing and recording Q4's. I got one on line practically for free (just paid shipping) because the seller said it didn't output sound. He had the deck threaded wrong! I have been very happy with the Q4 sound. I have 30 plus original Q4's, the most expensive being the Doobies "Stampede" about $60. The only tape I don't like is the "New Seekers" Q4. I know all music is subjective, but man, that's some lousy music
Thanks for the detailed reply! So glad to hear that you’ve had mostly great results. I’ve only heard conversions of those Quad Doobie Brothers; but if they ever get a 24/192 Quadio release, I’m certain they’ll blow some minds here! 🤠

Speaking of good Q4's...all of them....any you can win on ebay....A bunch of these have become available on modern formats and might be cheaper than Q4s...My favs are Enoch light (any of em), Arlo Guthrie, Bread, Gordon Lightfoot, Gilbert O'sullivan, Carly Simon, the Randy Newman tape and the easy listening genre (Mancini-Montenegro). The Doobies and Moodies are the best (including the Hayward blue jays tape). I could never win any of the Moody Blues Q4's except for "To our childrens children". This tape is as good or better than the surround SACD. Now, how can that be?

I never received a Q4 that didnt work and all were in very nice condition. /SNIP/ I had to make copies of the copies and thankfully the 2nd gen copies still sound suprisingly sound good. /SNIP/ (I'm hoping for the Doobies Quadio

I've been following the Doobie Brothers Quadio thread specifically because I'm very interested in hearing Stampede - so many folks here have indicated the original reel sounds fantastic. I'm really curious about how well original reels can sound in general. I mean, is it common to find reels that exhibit excessive tape hiss, incorrect azimuth, low recording levels, phase problems, etc., or were they mostly duplicated well and sound as good as stereo reels?

I've been following the Doobie Brothers Quadio thread specifically because I'm very interested in hearing Stampede - so many folks here have indicated the original reel sounds fantastic. I'm really curious about how well original reels can sound in general. I mean, is it common to find reels that exhibit excessive tape hiss, incorrect azimuth, low recording levels, phase problems, etc., or were they mostly duplicated well and sound as good as stereo reels?

I have a spare copy of 'The Captain and Me' for sale. You don't say where you are located though.

I have a spare copy of 'The Captain and Me' for sale. You don't say where you are located though.
Thanks for the offer; unfortunately I don't have any playback hardware. I was asking more in general regarding the quality of reels. I'll fix my profile info - I'm in Maine.

Back