Quad: The Middle Ground

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sansui qsd-2 came today from the land of Albion and it works beautifully, I am now pretty much retiring the built in matrix decoders in my kr9940 receiver, as they sometimes produce random logic-triggered static anyway. Even though it was a risky purchase being an old unrestored unit from overseas, it was still a good choice because the price wasnt anywhere near SMV2(which I would love to buy eventually) or even what people are asking for broken qrx001 receivers and will be easier to ship/modify, I was luck to find this one.
20200721_141952.jpg

Also got a copy of Gilles Zeitshiff for €14.99 and it played through with only minor surface noise, no poster of course
20200721_123244.jpg

My sansui qsd-2 came today from the land of Albion and it works beautifully, I am now pretty much retiring the built in matrix decoders in my kr9940 receiver, as they sometimes produce random logic-triggered static anyway. Even though it was a risky purchase being an old unrestored unit from overseas, it was still a good choice because the price wasnt anywhere near SMV2(which I would love to buy eventually) or even what people are asking for broken qrx001 receivers and will be easier to ship/modify, I was luck to find this one.
View attachment 54253
Also got a copy of Gilles Zeitshiff for €14.99 and it played through with only minor surface noise, no poster of course
View attachment 54254
Firstly glad it arrived A-OK. It will provide much better QS or stereo playback than the RM setting on the Kenwood. I think you will find the SQ may not measure as better than the Kenwood Full Logic but it will probably sound better.

Secondly I can't help but be curious why you chose this thread to post about it. My original post was all about finding a way for quad lovers not to have only buy the old quad stuff, or how to avoid always buying home theater stuff to get surround.

Indeed in post #16 in this thread you have already started a convo about this unit :unsure:.

I just saw the specs for a new 2020 Marantz receiver yesterday (same company that owns Denon) with very similar amp spec as the X8500. Marantz ‘guarantee’ a 70% performance with all channels driven, I assume that’s 0.05% THD at 70% of 140W, so close to 100W x 13 channels at 0.05 THD. That’s pretty impressive.
I wish they would publish specs of all channels driven, I could swear manufacturers used to publish that info. Seems like they have gone backwards and marketing just pushes out the numbers that are the most impressive, along the lines of when stores would display TV's with the brightness turned all the way up!!

I wish they would publish specs of all channels driven, I could swear manufacturers used to publish that info. Seems like they have gone backwards and marketing just pushes out the numbers that are the most impressive, along the lines of when stores would display TV's with the brightness turned all the way up!!
True that. As I said I also respect Anthem & even tho Emotiva doesn't make an AV receiver, Anthem has three.
They play the numbers game but at least give out a bit more info:
https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=mrx-1120/page=specs

My scattered bird-brain get threads confused sometimes, especially in this hot weather :) . I was thinking about the thread with the qrx5500 and why it might make sense to buy an old piece of gear in certain situations.
Probably more just like all revved up over your new toy.
Can ya point in that threads direction about the QRX-5500? I'd like to see that side of the story as well.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-holy-grail-of-sansui-quad-is.28602/
I was thinking about this thread, the qrx5500 is such a beautiful unit in my opinion, I think it it would be a good buy if you just want the looks without spending heavy dough, also seems like it would be easier to fix than qrx-001. I also believe that the old quad gear will eventually appreciate in value, so it worth buying even broken equipment in some cases imo.

Onkyo can't seem to make HDMI work reliably to save their lives. I've got two Onkyo receivers, BOTH of which required new HDMI boards fairly quickly and the second of which is now having HDMI issues again. Either that, or it's just some random incompatibility between it and my newish 4k TV.
I used to sell Onkyo receivers before I retired, and it seems that failing HDMI boards was an ongoing problem with them. They kept insisting they had solved the problem, but it kept recurring. As great sounding as they are, and as easy to use, the HDMI bugaboo seems to be lingering. My other favorite brand, Denon, doesn't seem to have that problem.

I have been using the Sansui gear I bought in the service it works fine I'm sure it's not up to specs as when new but at my age (67),in my mind it is not cost effective to ship it to QRX Restore.I can play all the formats except Flac files and as long as it still works I'm happy,getting lazy in my old age too just put in a disk instead of an LP.But I do wish the oppo players were not so expensive can't seem to find one I can afford on retirement income.

I have been using the Sansui gear I bought in the service it works fine I'm sure it's not up to specs as when new but at my age (67),in my mind it is not cost effective to ship it to QRX Restore.I can play all the formats except Flac files and as long as it still works I'm happy,getting lazy in my old age too just put in a disk instead of an LP.But I do wish the oppo players were not so expensive can't seem to find one I can afford on retirement income.
I understand the cost issues and hope with a bit of internet strolling that you might find a good local deal on an Opo, they really are worth it, even the older models. As to cost effective, I go by how much pleasure I will derive from it, not if I get a financial return. Me personally, I care about pleasure because I don't have enough cash to worry about either and I'd probably spend it on music anyways and share it with those that also need it. I hoard music not bux. As lonf=g as you are still enjoying what you have, I commend you for that. I only believe in upgrading when I need different features, not because it is cool to change things. BTW I bet your Sansui gear is still great sounding. As to FLAC, consider finding an older computer that you do not connect to the net and play them through software and only use it for music stuff and it will likely be useful for a long time. I use an old laptop that was given to me with WinXP and an older second hand 5.1 USB interface.

Onkyo can't seem to make HDMI work reliably to save their lives. I've got two Onkyo receivers, BOTH of which required new HDMI boards fairly quickly and the second of which is now having HDMI issues again. Either that, or it's just some random incompatibility between it and my newish 4k TV.
There is a youtube video about replacing the caps on the hdmi boards of some receivers. Although my 609 wasn't listed anywhere, I replaced the caps on my HDMI board with more heat tolerant ones that a member here on QQ more knowledgeable than I searched out for me. But I decided to shelve the unit after a few months because it didn't work out too well at my pc using hdmi because I had problems switching monitors (I was having a psu problem but did not realize at the time; I had a spare SeaSonic 1000w and the problems at the went away).
Tthere is also a decoder IC that can go bad and some have reflowed the solder around certain IC's and restored video/audio. I noticed an IC with "DTS" on it was replaced on my board...but apparently those are coming up in short supply. :unsure:

Also many models have a consumer grade HDMI cable connecting the HDMI board to the front board and those have been known to lose contact I learned a few minutes ago.

I've been thinking some more on the subject of my original post but with a little twist: What would be a good combination of old & new that still doesn't lead you to buying a high price high end vintage receiver?
The core piece of vintage gear I would suggest is actually I think the 1st quad unit Sansui commercially produce, The QS-1:
Sansui-QS-1- 2.jpg

I have owned one of these & I can tell it's a real beauty in person. It, like two other units, is labeled a Quadphonic Synthesizer. The other two units are the QS-100 & QS-500. They both have meters & rear ch power amps that aren't very good where the QS-1 does not. But the QS-1 is the looker. I suggest this because it is far less complex than any variomatrix unit ( the internal decoding is just passive matrix) easy to reach pots & switches for cleaning, sports my favorite balance control layout & is so easy to fix or do some circuit upgrades if you want. It has the usual 4 ch discrete input where, of course, the Surround Master would plug in. It might seem limiting with only 1, 4 ch discrete input but actually you would have main decoding modes, QS/SQ & the internal decoding of the Sansui. It produces very pleasant but not bombastic surround sound from stereo or QS. Because they are not the high sep Variomatrix type the cost is very reasonable. I've never seen one on Ebay for over $200 & I've seen buy it now as low as $125, and that's for units in VG condition.

Next you would want to match it up with a pair of minimalist power amps. I have a pair of AudioSource Amp One amps that have worked perfect for many years, very clean sounding. Those are long discontinued so I checked the AudioSource site today to find the two reaming similar amps in their product line up seem to be discontinued or simply out of stock at Crutchfield, B&H, etc.The do have a couple of nice choices in digital amps such as the AD1002 at 50 WPC bith channels driven for $179. You can search & shop to your hearts content elsewhere for there are many choices such as at Parts Express to find just the right amp for your needs & budget.

No tone controls, no remote control. But for about the same or less than what you would spend for an all in one quad receiver you have something fun & cool, great decoding with the SM & nice high quality reliable modern amps.

I've been thinking some more on the subject of my original post but with a little twist: What would be a good combination of old & new that still doesn't lead you to buying a high price high end vintage receiver?
The core piece of vintage gear I would suggest is actually I think the 1st quad unit Sansui commercially produce, The QS-1:
View attachment 54286

I have owned one of these & I can tell it's a real beauty in person. It, like two other units, is labeled a Quadphonic Synthesizer. The other two units are the QS-100 & QS-500. They both have meters & rear ch power amps that aren't very good where the QS-1 does not. But the QS-1 is the looker. I suggest this because it is far less complex than any variomatrix unit ( the internal decoding is just passive matrix) easy to reach pots & switches for cleaning, sports my favorite balance control layout & is so easy to fix or do some circuit upgrades if you want. It has the usual 4 ch discrete input where, of course, the Surround Master would plug in. It might seem limiting with only 1, 4 ch discrete input but actually you would have main decoding modes, QS/SQ & the internal decoding of the Sansui. It produces very pleasant but not bombastic surround sound from stereo or QS. Because they are not the high sep Variomatrix type the cost is very reasonable. I've never seen one on Ebay for over $200 & I've seen buy it now as low as $125, and that's for units in VG condition.

Next you would want to match it up with a pair of minimalist power amps. I have a pair of AudioSource Amp One amps that have worked perfect for many years, very clean sounding. Those are long discontinued so I checked the AudioSource site today to find the two reaming similar amps in their product line up seem to be discontinued or simply out of stock at Crutchfield, B&H, etc.The do have a couple of nice choices in digital amps such as the AD1002 at 50 WPC bith channels driven for $179. You can search & shop to your hearts content elsewhere for there are many choices such as at Parts Express to find just the right amp for your needs & budget.

No tone controls, no remote control. But for about the same or less than what you would spend for an all in one quad receiver you have something fun & cool, great decoding with the SM & nice high quality reliable modern amps.
A gorgeous piece of gear SW, it's not Tri-Band is that right?
Hope you don't mind I found a cleaner pic online to get a closer look.
* Hope they're not planning on cooking with that thing :unsure: :whistle:.

Sansui-QS-1.jpg

When hobbies turn into passions it's always expensive. Think of season tickets to attend pro sports. That is if you could actually attend. Even something "simple" like hiking or enjoying the great outdoors can cost quite a bit for shoes, clothes, camping gear.

Many years ago I visited Disclord/Ty at his apartment for the 1st time. It was an amazing bunch of stuff that he had including both HD & 3D Laserdisc set up. He collected all, & I mean all, of the dts LD's. He found great value in knowing that the dts/LD connection sort of just happened. It was never officially approved just adopted. He saw it as a rogue format that greatly appealed to him. Anyway I knew he made pretty good money but drove a Hyundai Rio, one of the most craptastic & un-safe car made at that time. And cheap. I asked , not exactly these words, why did he drive such a POS? I should have expected his reply:" beacause I'd rather spend money on something I really care about". Yup, we all have our priorities.

man i could cry for Ty, a lovelier person in this hobby you'd struggle to find 🤗

Onkyo don't have the monopoly on HDMI crappiness imho, both my Yamaha Aventage and Cambridge Audio Azur AVR's had catastrophic HDMI failures.. so to them i said; "so long, goodbye, farewell, its been nice knowing you..." and so forth and so forth :hi

A gorgeous piece of gear SW, it's not Tri-Band is that right?
Hope you don't mind I found a cleaner pic online to get a closer look.
* Hope they're not planning on cooking with that thing :unsure: :whistle:.

View attachment 54288
It's not Tri-Band because it's not even Variomatrix!😆
But the Surround Master is!😍

Another nice thing about this unit is it has both input & output level controls. That means you can adjust input level to get nice action on the meters & of course adjust output volume for what you want to listen to. Elsewhere it has been advised to run the SMv2 with input level set at max and otherwise adjust level to it just below clipping. Easy to do with the QS-1.

Her is an interesting demo vid of the QS-1. I almost didn't post it because when the balance is thrown all the way to the rear all I heard was crackly static. Maybe I listened too quick, but I never heard anything like that out of the QS-1 I owned. Anyway:

Last edited:
I have a QS-1 and I did like its looks and sound even though it wasn't the bigger brother models. Of course being a kid of the 70's I love the meters. I have wondered if I found one cheap and not worth restoring if I could retrofit an SM into it and still use the original meters and switches....
All kit should have illuminated VU meters! They're mesmerising, even more so when on a reel-to-reel with the tape spools turning.

Back