Quad: The Middle Ground

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a QS-1 and I did like its looks and sound even though it wasn't the bigger brother models. Of course being a kid of the 70's I love the meters. I have wondered if I found one cheap and not worth restoring if I could retrofit an SM into it and still use the original meters and switches....
Thye main problem with repurposeing the QS-1 is that it's impossible to change the lettering on the function switch to reflect what the built in SM is doing.

Another control center project I did used a QS-500:
SANSUI QS_500B 2.jpg

When you pull out all the rear ch power amps there's plenty of room to work. Also the top 1/2 plastic faceplate can be replaced with a blank one, and use Letraset presstype to redo the functiom names. In my case I didn't have any internal decoding so the function switch was made to read: QS (QSD-1), SQ (FosgateTate),
etc. The SM would not be a good candidate for this because there is a separate front panel sub-board connected by a ribbon cable to the main board. Then also, what do you do with all those output level controls?

However if you could find a Photolume QS decoder board as @par4ken & I have talked about, it would be a great fit. But then If I remember right you already have a bunch of good toys like QSD-1, QSD-2, etc. Not sure if you would find much of an improvement over that.

My sansui qsd-2 came today from the land of Albion and it works beautifully, I am now pretty much retiring the built in matrix decoders in my kr9940 receiver, as they sometimes produce random logic-triggered static anyway. Even though it was a risky purchase being an old unrestored unit from overseas, it was still a good choice because the price wasnt anywhere near SMV2(which I would love to buy eventually) or even what people are asking for broken qrx001 receivers and will be easier to ship/modify, I was luck to find this one.
View attachment 54253
Also got a copy of Gilles Zeitshiff for €14.99 and it played through with only minor surface noise, no poster of course
View attachment 54254

Hi. furui_suterioo

Great buy there, I have 2 black Sansui QSD-2 units and 1 silver one.
I read some ware long time ago ?? that said the silver one where sold mainly to the US & Europe and the black one`s for the internal market Japan and where slightly tweaked better than the silver one`s I don`t now how true that is.
BBQ...

Hi. furui_suterioo

Great buy there, I have 2 black Sansui QSD-2 units and 1 silver one.
I read some ware long time ago ?? that said the silver one where sold mainly to the US & Europe and the black one`s for the internal market Japan and where slightly tweaked better than the silver one`s I don`t now how true that is.
BBQ...
The HFE manual shows a silver face unit and says 120v, jdm goods often really are better so maybe. I do eventually want to send it to qrxrestore to have blend resistors removed since wouldn't have ship too far. I used to think the qsd-2 was like the qs-01 because it is so large, didn't realize it was vario-matrix until a couple months ago, I passed up multiple silver units in the past thinking they were passive decoders.

The HFE manual shows a silver face unit and says 120v, jdm goods often really are better so maybe. I do eventually want to send it to qrxrestore to have blend resistors removed since wouldn't have ship too far. I used to think the qsd-2 was like the qs-01 because it is so large, didn't realize it was vario-matrix until a couple months ago, I passed up multiple silver units in the past thinking they were passive decoders.

The silver one I bought on eBay got it at a good price I got the seller to post it direct to James Showker. at qrxrestore when he was alive his son nephew run the repair shop now. he totally recapped it recalibrated the unit, boy did it sound great when I received it and put it through its pace, Jims comment when he was testing the unit said it sounded different to the the QRX 9001 decoder which is supposed to be based on the QSD-2 unit.

The silver one I bought on eBay got it at a good price I got the seller to post it direct to James Showker. at qrxrestore when he was alive his son nephew run the repair shop now. he totally recapped it recalibrated the unit, boy did it sound great when I received it and put it through its pace, Jims comment when he was testing the unit said it sounded different to the the QRX 9001 decoder which is supposed to be based on the QSD-2 unit.
The england seller I got it from offered to do the same job but I still wanted to hear unit in its original state, and I just didnt want to spend the extra money. Oregon is also much closer to me than England so I will definitely be contacting them sometime.

I used to think the qsd-2 was like the qs-01 because it is so large, didn't realize it was vario-matrix until a couple months ago, I passed up multiple silver units in the past thinking they were passive decoders.

The QSD-2 is rather small being a Variomatrix decoder. It is the same size as a QS-01 which is a CD-4 demodulator IIRC. The QS-1 is large which is neither Variomatrix or CD-4. What you saying?

The QSD-2 is rather small being a Variomatrix decoder. It is the same size as a QS-01 which is a CD-4 demodulator IIRC. The QS-1 is large which is neither Variomatrix or CD-4. What you saying?
Maybe not so much big but because its block-shaped, it actually is much smaller in person than what it looked in photos to me before I saw it for real. Its actually the same height as my jvc 4dd-10 demodulator so they are now next to each other with dbx 128 sitting on top, I thought the block-shape was the older aesthetic but I am probably wrong. Also the model number seems so simple just being 2, but with that logic the qsd-1 would be even simpler so clearly my thinking was backwards as usual :)

I used to sell Onkyo receivers before I retired, and it seems that failing HDMI boards was an ongoing problem with them. They kept insisting they had solved the problem, but it kept recurring. As great sounding as they are, and as easy to use, the HDMI bugaboo seems to be lingering. My other favorite brand, Denon, doesn't seem to have that problem.
Funny you should post this, my Onkyo TX-NR609 gave up making sound last week (2012 model), a few loud pops in the rears the day before and small acrid waft but kept working, then the next day all the speaker lights on the display were dark, picture but no sound.

Funny you should post this, my Onkyo TX-NR609 gave up making sound last week (2012 model), a few loud pops in the rears the day before and small acrid waft but kept working, then the next day all the speaker lights on the display were dark, picture but no sound.
I don't know if you saw my post about owning a 609, having the hdmi board repaired,etc and adding improved caps myself. But there are several videos about recapping the board with more heat tolerant parts. But, and I'm saying this based on what I read, not because I can do more than solder and change parts, I think yours might function again with a solder reflow on the proper IC. Look at youtube videos and search for ONkyo HDMI problems and you'll find lots to observe about problems. Also I would take the HDMI cord that runs from the HDMI board to another board and remove/replace a few times as there could be a contact problem. Good luck!

Many early HDMI implementations were flawed. In my experience I’ve had fewer issues with later models. My Arcam ACR600 was really bad, that was circa 2011. Eventually they admitted it couldn’t be fixed by firmware. It’s resolved in later models, new HDMI design no doubt. I’m now using my AVR600 as a pure multichannel amp, feed from trusty analog RCA from a late model Denon which handles HDMI switching and decoding.

Back