Quad Tonearm Questions: P3 tonearm will be able to manage the 45-50k frequencies?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boazicus

I'm new to the site, so let me know if I'm posting this Q in the wrong place.

I’m trying to revive my quadraphonic stereo rig, and I’m wondering if my Rega P3 tonearm will be able to handle the high frequency of quad records?

I know that I need to upgrade to a quad stylus (https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSAT0020SL.html), but there’s still the Q as to whether my P3 tonearm will be able to manage the 45-50k frequencies?

Beyond that I have a Marantz 4300 Quad amp, Marantz CD-400b demodulator, and Marantz’ RC-4 remote that lets you mess with balance and fade across 4 speakers. I’ll also be using 2 sets of Spatial Audio M3 Triode Master speakers. I’ll also be running quad tapes via my AKAI 280 reel to reel player.

Any other advice or recommendations are appreciated.

I'm new to the site, so let me know if I'm posting this Q in the wrong place.

I’m trying to revive my quadraphonic stereo rig, and I’m wondering if my Rega P3 tonearm will be able to handle the high frequency of quad records?

I know that I need to upgrade to a quad stylus (https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSAT0020SL.html), but there’s still the Q as to whether my P3 tonearm will be able to manage the 45-50k frequencies?

Beyond that I have a Marantz 4300 Quad amp, Marantz CD-400b demodulator, and Marantz’ RC-4 remote that lets you mess with balance and fade across 4 speakers. I’ll also be using 2 sets of Spatial Audio M3 Triode Master speakers. I’ll also be running quad tapes via my AKAI 280 reel to reel player.

Any other advice or recommendations are appreciated.
It is not so much about the tone arm being able to handle CD-4 frequencies but the output cables. As per Rega's website:
"In addition, RB330 touts a low-capacitance phono cable ".
This is good! But it looks like Rega P3's have variations over the years so check & see what you have.

Also what cartridge are you using? The stylus replacement seems crazy high priced and there are other AT carts with line contact stylus that work fine for CD-4 about the same price as just your stylus. :unsure:

It is not so much about the tone arm being able to handle CD-4 frequencies but the output cables. As per Rega's website:
"In addition, RB330 touts a low-capacitance phono cable ".
This is good! But it looks like Rega P3's have variations over the years so check & see what you have.

Also what cartridge are you using? The stylus replacement seems crazy high priced and there are other AT carts with line contact stylus that work fine for CD-4 about the same price as just your stylus. :unsure:

Really appreciate the response. Right now I'm running the Ortofon Blue cart, and its pretty new--only about a year old so far. If there is a simpler stylus upgrade that would work with my Ortofon body, all the better.

Now that you mention it, I'm not entirely sure which tonearm is on my P3 as I bought it second hand. I'll have to look again when I'm home but its either the RB301, RB303, or the RB330

Back