Quad version of Pink Floyd Meddle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all the Pink Floyd lore I've ever read, never has there been mention of a quad version or even mix of Meddle.

I haven't looked in years, but I think it's mentioned in the book that came with the "Shine On" box many years ago. I vaguely recall some timeline mentioning a mix being prepared...not that I'll remember to look it up for sure when I get home.

This person had a senior moment; it's Atom Heart Mother and the memory is cross-wired with the Meddle album cover in his head. Add a dash of wishful thinking (or is it revisionist history these days) and there's your hallucination.

Here's what my copy of Shine On says about recording/ release dates for Meddle.

Released 30th October in USA 13th November UK.The bands working title during the recording was Nothing-Parts one to twenty four.

Recording 4th-21st and 24-26 Abby Road studios.

"Return of the Son of Nothing"(Echoes) done early on in the sessions (Rogers original title for Echoes was( We won the Doubles.)

7th March -11 May recording continues.

12 June France- Live debut of One of these Days.

July 19-27th, August 23-27 recording sessions AIR studios.

18th Sept Return of the Son of Nothing is renamed Echoes and performed at Festival de Musique Classique Montreux.

21-26th recording sessions at Command Studios for Quad mix.

Last edited:
Here's what my copy of Shine On says about recording/ release dates for Meddle.

[snip]

21-26th recording sessions at Command Studios for Quad mix.

Thank you...I guess I haven't completely lost my mind. Interesting that they'd refer to recording sessions rather than mixing sessions...

You can get it pretty easily and, IMO, the DVD-A sounds amazing. There is a good thread over at avsforums with plenty of details on where to get it, how to use the files, and what people think.

I've seen Animal in Quad but wasn't sure it was the real thing... I guess not, no?

would that be the t ts! has anyone ever seen this? I mean the original? I know it has been offered as a copy. But I still want to at least see it to know it is out there - - somewhere! http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=12583627

More about it here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6842

To get the step by step directions, you have to go elsewhere, as we do not help in the distribution of unlicensed material. (We enjoy it, we just don't assist!) :D

yup, its not real at all! a 'special dts remix'..... pfft

but it sounds pretty good tho.

Attachments

• CD Cover - back (Small).jpg
    CD Cover - back (Small).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 684
What is the point of these releases, except to extract money from people who don't know how to use the DPL II function of their receivers? ;>

Yeah, I've recently seen DTS surround versions of Animals and Meddle. Meddle I figure might have released in quad, but Animals? I thought quad was "officially" dead in 1977. Are these "new" quad versions synthesized from the stereo versions? Anyone know the scoop on these?

Meddle will be home-made.
Animals very likely home made too - although it was certainly mixed fopr Quad, and as regulars all know even assigned catalogue numbers.
It was just never released.

Not to be stupid here but what is the DPL-II function on my receiver/ I have a Sony 1075 and have never seen that terminology

Stands for "Dolby Pro Logic II"...I would think about every A/V receiver made since 1995 would have it on there, used to synthesize a surround field from stereo sources, ie. not a true discrete multi-channel listening experience.
John

What is the point of these releases, except to extract money from people who don't know how to use the DPL II function of their receivers? ;>

Nobody should ever pay anything for these.
Those who do are being ripped off - although a ripoff is in the eye of the person paying the money, I guess - these "releases" are all on CD-R and created by hobbyists who make their own 5.1 albums as there is such a dearth of official titles.

DPL II is one way, but DPL II is taking a stereo stream & feeding to 5 channels. All the upmixes I have seen were crafted by people who take the stereo as a basis, and extract centre, rears & sometimes an LFE channel from this giving a 5.1 feed to the DTS encoder. Done well, this can sound amazingly good. Check out the TOUP Led Zeppelin titles for one - in "Whole Lotta Love" you may be forgiven for thinking it is discrete given some of the panning going on.
The guys behind TOUP/AREA51/GART etc are fastidious in their work and have done some great stuff that is far better quality wise than a stereo mix run through a DPL II decoder.

Stands for "Dolby Pro Logic II"...I would think about every A/V receiver made since 1995 would have it on there, used to synthesize a surround field from stereo sources, ie. not a true discrete multi-channel listening experience.
John
It wasn't even invented yet in 1995.:confused:

It wasn't even invented yet in 1995

Dolby Pro Logic certainly was and as soon as DPLII came out all hardware basically began production with the decode - it is the Wal-Mart of surround.

Johns point is still valid.

Memories of quad "Meddles" and "Animalses" may be a result of the, um, ingestibles PF fans were consuming at the time, rather than senior moments or confusion with AHM. I myself recall giant bunny rabbits maurauding through Arlington, VA in the mid-70s and squashing suburban homes with their monstrous paws.

BTW, Dolby PLII is not universal in all post-95 AV units. I have a Marantz SR 5000 5.1 unit, about five-six years old, which has straight PL plus a few 'mixers' of Marantz' own devising.

yrd.

I appear to have acquired a burned DVD-Audio of a quad mix of Meddle along with a similar DVD Audio of Animals.

For Meddle, the disk indicates that the version came from Q8. It sounds superb and does appear to have discrete channels, though I will not claim to be an expert as I have never listened to a matrix quad LP. The pictures show various Japanese vinyl pressings. The pics are very poor scans, but one of them shows a cover of the album with an obi sporting a large 4 at the top with two half-circles surrounding the numeral. The obi also appears to say something about Japanese TV, but the rest of the writing is too poor for me to make a guess about what it is all trying to say. All of the images show scans from various Japanese pressings of Meddle which differ from my own Japanese pressing.

A lot of products get released in Japan that never make it over to the western world. It wouldn't surprise me if quadraphonic vinyl had been released there and nowhere else. As for the Q8 claim, however, I'm not sure how popular 8-track tape was in Japan. It is my understanding that it was primarily a format used in America. There are, however, enthusiasts who have been looking for the existence of particular products for years only to be surprised that some things that had not appeared to exist actually do exist. A reel-to-reel copy of Meddle appeared in eBay last year much to the surprise of Pink Floyd enthusiasts.

The Animals disks contains both Q8 and SQ versions of Animals along with versions of Pigs on the Wing that were exclusive to the respective US and British Q8 versions. That there were various versions of Animals has been a frustration to collectors. Apparently, the reel-to-reel version had different mixes from the album as well, though I'm not sure if they were also different from the Q8 version. The pictures show various 8-tracks including a Q8 version. There is also a picture of the Japanese SQ LP with the number 4 flanked by half-circles just as on the Meddle pictures.

Something to keep in mind regarding determining the existence of particular recordings in a particular format is the initial method of distribution. While typical users went down to their local record shops for new stereo records and 8-tracks, audiophiles with special systems such as quadraphonic and reel to reel might more easily have purchased their media from the same store where they bought the audio equipment. Accordingly, these media enjoyed relatively small print runs and are hoarded by collectors. I must say that if I had a reel-to-reel tape of Pink Floyd, I'm not sure that I would have any interest in selling it. I think I would rather enjoy the pleasures of listening to it myself despite the high price tag such an item could fetch on eBay. Columbia House offered Pink Floyd on R2R tape into the early '80's, but those who have them aren't in a big hurry to let people know they have them or to give them up.

Back