Quad version of Pink Floyd Meddle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, someone (from EMI especially) should go to Steven Wilson and ask for a quad remix. I believe he'll do it with a great passion!

Actually, someone (from EMI especially) should go to Steven Wilson and ask for a quad remix. I believe he'll do it with a great passion!

EMI has been defunct since the end of 2012, and even though Steven Wilson is a huge Pink Floyd fan, I think he would be wise to stay away from remixing Pink Floyd. That's one of those artists where it will be too hard to appease not only the fans' desires but also the differing opinions of Waters and Gilmour.
If it did happen, of course, I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm not counting on it.

These fan 'dream' creations are always creepy to me. Can't help thinking of the Shatner/SNL classic line 'Have you ever kissed a girl?"

Some would say the same about people who run fan websites for bands. Not me of course, I'm not judgemental.

...even though Steven Wilson is a huge Pink Floyd fan, I think he would be wise to stay away from remixing Pink Floyd. That's one of those artists where it will be too hard to appease not only the fans' desires but also the differing opinions of Waters and Gilmour.

Two words, one name: Andy Jackson!

And be sure to include the quad mix of Echoes that was played to the press in 1971.

...and even though Steven Wilson is a huge Pink Floyd fan, I think he would be wise to stay away from remixing Pink Floyd. That's one of those artists where it will be too hard to appease not only the fans' desires but also the differing opinions of Waters and Gilmour.
How come DSTM is the highest rated disc on this site then?

How come DSTM is the highest rated disc on this site then?

Simple. Note that the two most highly rated Floyd titles contain classic mixes from the 1970s. Their popularity here is on the strength of these older mixes. The first modern Pink Floyd mix appears at #26 as of this writing, and is in fact The Division Bell, as mixed by Andy Jackson.

And be sure to include the quad mix of Echoes that was played to the press in 1971.

Hey, I'm cool with that, but as of right now, somehow I have a feeling Roger would say it's James Guthrie or no one, but who knows. A surround version from either one of them is better than none at all. :)

Any early Floyd would be supreme, I think.

And there's some hope, as the last interview Water's had with Mike Mettler he was postive in the 5.1 direction and mentioned he wouldn't be averse to having one of his (Floyd's) early disc in surround, via a surround remix of Electric Moo.:D

Any early Floyd would be supreme, I think.

And there's some hope, as the last interview Water's had with Mike Mettler he was postive in the 5.1 direction and mentioned he wouldn't be averse to having one of his (Floyd's) early disc in surround, via a surround remix of Electric Moo.:D

Yes, I doubt Roger Waters and David Gilmour are opposed to releasing any more Pink Floyd surround mixes, but the issue is that five minutes to them is like five years to us, so we could be waiting quite a while before any more mixes are completed and released. :violin

The fact that both ROGER WATERS and DAVID GILMOUR support (and quite openly) via their respective solo projects and via the recent interviews shows great optimization for coming projects to feature either "QUAD" reissues/first time issues, maybe live concert material from the 70's,60's?,80's etc.

Or unreleased/unknown/withdrawn quads such as ANIMALS, MEDDLE, GAMES OF MAY, Electric Moo, POMPEII, or other surprises.

And in no way can we dismiss the possibility of any Pink Floyd album receiving 5.1 treatment as the main prognosticators are on board.We only hope they finally get together, and soon for all us surroundophiles.
Also factor in Andy Jackson with James Guthrie and we get something in surround hopefully from past masters.

I think things are moving (albiet slowly) in a positive FLOYD in 4ch/5.1 direction:D

The fact that both ROGER WATERS and DAVID GILMOUR support (and quite openly) via their respective solo projects and via the recent interviews shows great optimization for coming projects to feature either "QUAD" reissues/first time issues, maybe live concert material from the 70's,60's?,80's etc.

Or unreleased/unknown/withdrawn quads such as ANIMALS, MEDDLE, GAMES OF MAY, Electric Moo, POMPEII, or other surprises.

And in no way can we dismiss the possibility of any Pink Floyd album receiving 5.1 treatment as the main prognosticators are on board.We only hope they finally get together, and soon for all us surroundophiles.
Also factor in Andy Jackson with James Guthrie and we get something in surround hopefully from past masters.

I think things are moving (albiet slowly) in a positive FLOYD in 4ch/5.1 direction:D

And that's really the only point I was making. Look how long it took for the 5.1 surround mix of "Wish You Were Here" to be created and then released. It was an 8-year gap between the "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD and the Immersion/SACD releases of "Wish You Were Here". "The Division Bell" was actually remixed in surround almost 10 years before it came out in 2014, and then for "Amused to Death", they started work on the surround remix around the beginning of 2013 (I think), finished it a year later, and there still was a year-long gap between completion and release.
So there's still probably a good bit of momentum moving towards other Pink Floyd-related surround releases, but it's a tortoise's pace, and as long as we keep that in mind, I think we will continue to be pleasantly surprised at what we could possibly get in surround from Pink Floyd in the future. :)

Hey, I'm cool with that, but as of right now, somehow I have a feeling Roger would say it's James Guthrie or no one, but who knows. A surround version from either one of them is better than none at all. :)
the problem with such attitude "anything is better than nothing" - if work came out, let's say - unimpressive, there
no way it would be redone second time to correct.
leave alone marketing point of promotion of advantages of surround for wider audience potential consumers.

the problem with such attitude "anything is better than nothing" - if work came out, let's say - unimpressive, there
no way it would be redone second time to correct.
leave alone marketing point of promotion of advantages of surround for wider audience potential consumers.

The problem with this attitude is that all we can do is choose to buy or not to buy something.
We can't dictate at all how something should be mixed and released. That's all down to the artist, record label, producer, engineer, etc. to decide such matters.
5.1 surround mixes like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" will probably never be 'redone' simply because that's how the artist agreed it should be.
That's why I think something is better than nothing. We can all create our own 'versions' of how we like something to be using what's available to us if we don't care for what's officially released (or not released.) :)

Back