Quadblocking! (Courtesy of Mobile Fidelity)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that has been done.

The album "Blood, Sweat & Tears" was released by both Sony (Single Layer Stereo SACD) and Mobile Fidelity (Hybrid Layer Stereo SACD) as Stereo SACDs and then was released by Audio Fidelity as a Multichannel SACD.
https://audiofidelity.net/product/blood-sweat-tearsblood-sweat-tears

And WHAT a GREAT release, Brian. That it's back~ordered and/or was subject to a repress should be a clear cut indication to AF that even if a title has previously been released by either MoFi or AP in STEREO there is a DEMAND for MULTICHANNEL.

The MINIONS have spoken......http://www.bmstores.co.uk/images/hpcProductImage/imgFull/299154-MINION-POSTER-41.jpg

And WHAT a GREAT release, Brian. That it's back~ordered and/or was subject to a repress should be a clear cut indication to AF that even if a title has previously been released by either MoFi or AP in STEREO there is a DEMAND for MULTICHANNEL.

Audio Fidelity is happy with the sales of their Multichannel SACDs by Blood, Sweat & Tears. That's why they have released more than one album in Multichannel SACD by the group:

Audio Fidelity is happy with the sales of their Multichannel SACDs by Blood, Sweat & Tears. That's why they have released more than one album in Multichannel SACD by the group:

Both undeniably GREAT releases (superb, in fact).

Multichannel Maven.........There's STILL a LOT of Multichannel Livin' to do....and Times a wastin'

MORE releases like THAT and screw MoFi's LoFi approach. Bring 'em ON!

Both undeniably GREAT releases (superb, in fact).

Multichannel Maven.........There's STILL a LOT of Multichannel Livin' to do....and Times a wastin'

MORE releases like THAT and screw MoFi's LoFi approach. Bring 'em ON!

No argument that there are more albums to explore for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD. And that is happening.
Marshall and his team are keeping the Multichannel Maven busy! :)

No argument that there are more albums to explore for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD. And that is happening.
Marshall and his team are keeping the Multichannel Maven busy! :)

Since you are here Brian...a question that has been raised that I have been curious about...everytime MoFi puts one of these titles in the "upcoming" mode and they drag it on and on(some for 2 years)I often wonder how long is the period of the license granted to MoFi...what is the industry standard for these licensing periods...

Since you are here Brian...a question that has been raised that I have been curious about...everytime MoFi puts one of these titles in the "upcoming" mode and they drag it on and on(some for 2 years)I often wonder how long is the period of the license granted to MoFi...what is the industry standard for these licensing periods...

The licensing is usually longer than 2 years. The key is that the reissue label has to pay the record label and artist the guarantee amount over the life of the agreement.
Along with the cost of manufacturing the SACD discs and packaging that they buy from the licensing record label.

So there is an incentive to release the titles during that time period of the agreement. :)

That it's back~ordered and/or was subject to a repress should be a clear cut indication to AF that even if a title has previously been released by either MoFi or AP in STEREO there is a DEMAND for MULTICHANNEL.

Speaking of Multichannel SACD titles that are repressed, that shows not only that the SACD sold well. But also that Audio Fidelity is confident enough that more can be sold that they are buying more copies from the record label.
It's always nice to see a repress for that reason.

Let's hope that more and more of the Audio Fidelity SACDs reach the repress decision point. As we've seen to date, some have and some have not.

The album "Blood, Sweat & Tears" was released by both Sony (Single Layer Stereo SACD) and Mobile Fidelity (Hybrid Layer Stereo SACD) as Stereo SACDs and then was released by Audio Fidelity as a Multichannel SACD.

Oh wow, that's great to know. I think a lot of us have been operating under the misconception that AF didn't ever want to risk releasing a title that MoFi already had released. Now I'll be counting the days until MoFi's license on Turnstiles expires, LOL.

Ryan, you're are probably 100% correct in assuming that AF would never release Chicago Transit Authority as a single layered mch SACD but the ONLY precedent I know is Telarc's mch SACD of Erich Kunzel's THE BIG PICTURE which eliminates the STEREO SACD layer due to time constrictions [but it does include the RBCD STEREO layer] http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4375

Wow, that's fascinating. I didn't know there was an existing SACD that didn't have a stereo SACD layer. I thought all SACDs had to at least have the stereo SACD layer. (Obviously that's still 99% of them that do, but it's interesting to know there's at least one exception.) :)

But certainly it's the exception and not the rule, right? AF still seems to be mostly concerned with reissuing titles that will please both stereo and Multichannel SACD fans, especially ones that were never released on the SACD format, correct?

Oh wow, that's great to know. I think a lot of us have been operating under the misconception that AF didn't ever want to risk releasing a title that MoFi already had released. Now I'll be counting the days until MoFi's license on Turnstiles expires, LOL.

No. The key is how recently did the album appear on a reissued or remastered Stereo CD or SACD.
If a long period of time has passed between editions, then it can be considered for release by Audio Fidelity as a Multichannel SACD.

In the case of Blood, Sweat & Tears, once the Multichannel SACD of Child Is Father to the Man in 5.1 Surround Sound sold well, the next question from AF was what else could we release in Multichannel SACD?
The answer, of course, was the self-titled Blood, Sweat & Tears album - which had been out twice on Stereo SACD and was twice out of print - but never on Multichannel SACD.

Wow, that's fascinating. I didn't know there was an existing SACD that didn't have a stereo SACD layer. I thought all SACDs had to at least have the stereo SACD layer. (Obviously that's still 99% of them that do, but it's interesting to know there's at least one exception.) :)

There are a handful of Multichannel SACDs that were released without Stereo SACD tracks on the SACD layer.

There are a handful of Multichannel SACDs that were released without Stereo SACD tracks on the SACD layer.

Reminds me of the early RBCD days when actual album tracks were eliminated because of 'perceived' time restraints....since rectified by more sophisticated manufacturing techniques.

Classical Label BIS raised a few eyebrows when they managed to fit up to 82 minutes of RBCD/Stereo AND Multichannel tracks on a single hybrid SACD....and roughly 4 hours of 16/44.1 content on a single layered SACD (ONLY playable via an SACD player). http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=5124

The licensing is usually longer than 2 years. The key is that the reissue label has to pay the record label and artist the guarantee amount over the life of the agreement.
Along with the cost of manufacturing the SACD discs and packaging that they buy from the licensing record label.

So there is an incentive to release the titles during that time period of the agreement. :)

I guess Mobile Fidelity has deep pockets then to sit on a title so long. Probably why Audio Fidelity don't stereo block titles.

Back