Quadio- Connecting to Sansui QRX-9001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello folks- (Noob apologizing in advance if this question is in the wrong forum). Could someone please advise how to best enjoy the new Rhino Quadio Doobie Brothers release in 4.0 through my Sansui QRX-9001?
I have a Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray player but am unsure of the best hardware to use to connect the Sony to my ancient analog quad receiver and which input/outputs to use on each unit. Thanks so much for your guidance šŸ˜€

As far as I can see the Sony doesn't have analogue outputs, so its either find an HDMI to multi-channel analogue convertor (most are HDMI to stereo) or probably easier to rip the BDA on via your PC, and connect the analogue outputs from a 5.1 sound card to the Sansui.

Iā€™d recommend buying an AVR with multichannel analog line outputs. Connect the quad line outs to your existing amp (assuming it has line ins).

The AVR will decode the Quad DTS-HDMA 192kHz to analog quad.

Another advantage is you can then use the AVRs HDMI inputs and decoding for all your media, even adding a cheap media player with HDMI to playback just about any digital file from FLAC and DSF to Atmos, including HD video (concerts and movies),

The Denon AVR- X3700 is the lowest priced current model Denon with analog outs, but you could easily find second hand AVRs with analog outs at a lower price but Iā€™d stick with models that are fairly recent with DTS-HDMA and Atmos decoders so it will play all current audio codecs.

The newer models will also do Atmos streaming from various services and support Netflix etc (Atmos, 5.1 etc)

Iā€™d recommend buying an AVR with multichannel analog line outputs. Connect the quad line outs to your existing amp (assuming it has line ins).

The AVR will decode the Quad DTS-HDMA 192kHz to analog quad.

Another advantage is you can then use the AVRs HDMI inputs and decoding for all your media, even adding a cheap media player with HDMI to playback just about any digital file from FLAC and DSF to Atmos, including HD video (concerts and movies),

The Denon AVR- X3700 is the lowest priced current model Denon with analog outs, but you could easily find second hand AVRs with analog outs at a lower price but Iā€™d stick with models that are fairly recent with DTS-HDMA and Atmos decoders so it will play all current audio codecs.

The newer models will also do Atmos streaming from various services and support Netflix etc (Atmos, 5.1 etc)
Would this work?
Flameer 5.1 Channel HD Audio Rush, Digital Surround Sound Decoder Converter, Optical SPDIF/Coaxial for for Dolby AC3/DTS Audio US Plug Amazon.com: Flameer 5.1 Channel HD Audio Rush, Digital Surround Sound Decoder Converter, Optical SPDIF/Coaxial for for Dolby AC3/DTS Audio US Plug: Electronics

Not sure if that device would work as youā€™ll need Optical SPDIF/Coaxial on both devices and those digital connections only do DTS (lossy only) and the Quadio BD is DTS- HDMA Quad.

Maybe someone else can chime in here.

I would just search for one of these, think they are about $60 on Amazon and elsewhere. :unsure:

HDMI LPCM 5.1 7.1 To Analog Surround Decoder + HDMI DD AC3 DTS To Optical Audio
Thank you Pupster! Here are 3 results from my search- which one do you think might work best for my hardware situation?
HDMI to HDMI+ VGA+SPDIF+ 5.1 Surround Sound Audio Converter Decoder [HTHVS51] : UitTek.com

Ebay item # 252906421340
Ebay item #191563100560

I would just search for one of these, think they are about $60 on Amazon and elsewhere. :unsure:

HDMI LPCM 5.1 7.1 To Analog Surround Decoder + HDMI DD AC3 DTS To Optical Audio

Thank you Pupster! Here are 3 results from my search- which one do you think might work best for my hardware situation?
HDMI to HDMI+ VGA+SPDIF+ 5.1 Surround Sound Audio Converter Decoder [HTHVS51] : UitTek.com

Ebay item # 252906421340
Ebay item #191563100560

Or this one?
SKSL LPCM 7.1CH HDMI Audio Converter HDMI Digital Audio Converter Support 3 Modes for Audio Output Blue-Ray Player LPCM 4k Video https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019RF7ZVA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T-5pFbM5CC8K2

Ebay item # 252906421340
Ebay item #191563100560
To be candid, I donā€™t know for sure if one of those will work, I donā€™t own one personally. Perhaps we can get some other members here to verify my suggestion before purchasing that one. I also wondered if it would pass through only 4.0 with silent Center & LFE (I believe it should, but not sure there either). I just feel a little more research is required.
Also, Iā€™m assuming you can use one HDMI out for the audio and the other out for the video.

Last edited:
I have a Sansui 7001 and recently purchased a used Oppo for just over $200. My first try at digital audio. It has analog outputs and works perfect with the receiver. Right now, I have the subwoofer and center channel turned off, but I'm considering a stereo amp add-on to handle those two channels in the future. But right now, it sounds great

I have a Sansui 7001 and recently purchased a used Oppo for just over $200. My first try at digital audio. It has analog outputs and works perfect with the receiver. Right now, I have the subwoofer and center channel turned off, but I'm considering a stereo amp add-on to handle those two channels in the future. But right now, it sounds great
Which Oppo model are you using?

BDP-93. I'm happy with it, but I still can't figure out why it won't recognize FLAC files on a USB stick that I've downloaded from people in the group. šŸ˜µ
Have you mentioned this in another thread? If not, you could start a thread on it. Just thinking we could throw some ideas out there on this to figure that out. Just donā€™t want to clog up this thread with another subject. It bothers me you canā€™t play those files. :unsure:

BDP-93. I'm happy with it, but I still can't figure out why it won't recognize FLAC files on a USB stick that I've downloaded from people in the group. šŸ˜µ
An interesting oddity to the Oppo Main Menu is the way the categories work.
1598023919487.png

Let's say you have a USB flash drive plugged in with audio files on it. Should you have the "movie" category selected it will show you any accessible movies to play as well as jpg image files or audio files. But it will not play them because the movie mode has been selected!

Your 93 menu is a bit different from my 105's. Can you specifically find the flash drive & files to play? But they won't play? Or can you not even get that far? Perhaps access them through "network"?

An interesting oddity to the Oppo Main Menu is the way the categories work.
View attachment 55430

Let's say you have a USB flash drive plugged in with audio files on it. Should you have the "movie" category selected it will show you any accessible movies to play as well as jpg image files or audio files. But it will not play them because the movie mode has been selected!

Your 93 menu is a bit different from my 105's. Can you specifically find the flash drive & files to play? But they won't play? Or can you not even get that far? Perhaps access them through "network"?
Clogger. :rolleyes: :LOL:

To be candid, I donā€™t know for sure if one of those will work, I donā€™t own one personally. Perhaps we can get some other members here to verify my suggestion before purchasing that one. I also wondered if it would pass through only 4.0 with silent Center & LFE (I believe it should, but not sure there either). I just feel a little more research is required.
Also, Iā€™m assuming you can use one HDMI out for the audio and the other out for the video.
OK folks-Since Iā€™ve not heard any additional suggestions from the forum, Iā€™ve been looking into this a bit further and am not convinced I can add any suitable interface which will allow my Sony Blu ray player to send the Quadio discā€™s DTS-HD 4.0 signals to my analog input QRX-9001. So what Iā€™ve come up with is finding an older Pioneer DV-563A DVD player ( much less expensive than any of the used OPPOs currently on the market) which CAN read DTS and has RCA analog outputs for surround sound. My intention would be only to use this for audio playback,so Iā€™m not concerned with any video shortcomings. Iā€™d simply not connect the center and sub outs, leaving the LF, RF and L side + R side connections for my 9001ā€™s LF RF and LR RR inputs. Does this make sense to you?
Thank you for any additional input or suggestions šŸ™šŸ»

OK folks-Since Iā€™ve not heard any additional suggestions from the forum, Iā€™ve been looking into this a bit further and am not convinced I can add any suitable interface which will allow my Sony Blu ray player to send the Quadio discā€™s DTS-HD 4.0 signals to my analog input QRX-9001. So what Iā€™ve come up with is finding an older Pioneer DV-563A DVD player ( much less expensive than any of the used OPPOs currently on the market) which CAN read DTS and has RCA analog outputs for surround sound. My intention would be only to use this for audio playback,so Iā€™m not concerned with any video shortcomings. Iā€™d simply not connect the center and sub outs, leaving the LF, RF and L side + R side connections for my 9001ā€™s LF RF and LR RR inputs. Does this make sense to you?
Thank you for any additional input or suggestions šŸ™šŸ»
Well, except isn't that player only DVD, the Quadio is Blu-ray only IINM?

Or this one?
SKSL LPCM 7.1CH HDMI Audio Converter HDMI Digital Audio Converter Support 3 Modes for Audio Output Blue-Ray Player LPCM 4k Video https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019RF7ZVA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T-5pFbM5CC8K2
This option looks promising, but there sure no way for me to know if it has a decent DAC in it :unsure:

Back