Quadio- Connecting to Sansui QRX-9001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point 😂. Thank you..

OK then- just wanted everyone to know I was unsuccessful in finding a workable interface between my Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray and my Sansui QRX-9001. As silly as it sounds, in this day and age of universal everything, the The Sony simply does not play the DTS format, nor have any analog outputs. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So I went ahead and purchased a new DENON DN-500BD MKII Blu Ray player which supposedly plays all formats and has RCA outputs too for speakers up to 7.1, which should allow me to hook up my 4 RCA cables into the QRX-9001’s 4 channel tape inputs. Hopefully I’m not overlooking anything? Please let me know and thank you for your inputs 😀

OK then- just wanted everyone to know I was unsuccessful in finding a workable interface between my Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray and my Sansui QRX-9001. As silly as it sounds, in this day and age of universal everything, the The Sony simply does not play the DTS format, nor have any analog outputs. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So I went ahead and purchased a new DENON DN-500BD MKII Blu Ray player which supposedly plays all formats and has RCA outputs too for speakers up to 7.1, which should allow me to hook up my 4 RCA cables into the QRX-9001’s 4 channel tape inputs. Hopefully I’m not overlooking anything? Please let me know and thank you for your inputs 😀
Well, except from the specs I see, it doesn’t play SACD, so that means no Dutton Vocalion, or Sony 7” etc.

Why is it so hard for some manufacturer to come up with a truly universal player that has analog outputs, that you can buy new and not sell an organ to do it? 🤷‍♂️
Ugh- yeah, that’s why the price of those old oppos like 10x or 20x keeps going up; but I still say an Oppo 103 or 105 is the way to go until a manufacturer gets some balls and captures that missing part of the market. They could sell them well IMO, even asking a little more of a premium for those extras.

Or this one?
SKSL LPCM 7.1CH HDMI Audio Converter HDMI Digital Audio Converter Support 3 Modes for Audio Output Blue-Ray Player LPCM 4k Video Robot Check
OK, so are you sure you don't want to at least try this option, It's only $70 and who knows it might work just fine. You'd be a trail blazer for the rest of us with a need to know (or at least a Guinea Pig 😄!)

Well, except isn't that player only DVD, the Quadio is Blu-ray only IINM?

This option looks promising, but there sure no way for me to know if it has a decent DAC in it :unsure:
Going by the price its probably got something like the Texas Instruments PCM1690CDA which hasn't that bad a specification for a few $'s! At the price of the unit at $70 its probably worth taking a risk. It is the sort of part you'd find in a lot of the cheaper end of the market Blu-ray/DVD players with analogue outputs.

Too many formats.

Can that Denon downmix the 5 or 7 channels down to four, or are you going to have to make a resistor network to do that?

@quadex I use a Denon DBP-2012 in conjunction with my Marantz 4070 quad reciever. It plays SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray and has an analog 7.1 output, just like the more expensive Oppo units. Highly recommended - you can take a chance on this cheap used one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-Netw...984945?hash=item5b712fd871:g:q2QAAOSwl4xefgdQ
Denon Analog Outs.jpg

@quadex I use a Denon DBP-2012 in conjunction with my Marantz 4070 quad reciever. It plays SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray and has an analog 7.1 output, just like the more expensive Oppo units. Highly recommended - you can take a chance on this cheap used one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-Netw...984945?hash=item5b712fd871:g:q2QAAOSwl4xefgdQ
View attachment 55588
Great idea Jonathan, just curious, does this unit also play all the audio codecs like flac etc. from a USB drive?

Great idea Jonathan, just curious, does this unit also play all the audio codecs like flac etc. from a USB drive?

The only thing I've tried so far is MCH FLAC and unfortunately it doesn't recognize those. I'm not sure about MCH DSD or WAV. It does play burned SACD ISO's perfectly though.

I have a DVD player that's supposed to play them regardless of what region for which they are meant. So, I pop in one marked "0" which is supposed to be universal and - nothing.

Doug

Too many formats.

Can that Denon downmix the 5 or 7 channels down to four, or are you going to have to make a resistor network to do that?

Well folks, I just received my new Denon DN-500BD MK Ii Blu Ray unit and simply plugged my 4 RCA cables into the QRX 4 channel tape inputs, using only 4 of the the Denon’s 7.1 RCA outputs : front left(FL) , front right (FR), surround back left (SBL) and surround back right (SBR). The Chicago Quadio discs using the DTS-HD Master Quadio 4.0 format play clean and clear- magnificent quad separation as intended.
I also plugged an HDMI cable from the Denon to my tv and all the album artwork, song listings, and Audio Setup menu appear too. Just wanted to share my experience in hopes of assisting someone else. Thank you for this forum 🙏🏻

A frustrating problem... getting gear answers on Quadio Blu-ray ... I bought the Doobies Quadio a few months ago... you’d think this would be a crazy hot topic... Quad Chicago, now Quad Doobies ... the reality for the labels releasing future 4 channel recordings.... They need a widely understood path on gear playing these Blu-ray’s and getting “real” quad outputs... as the original thread request suggests... how do I get this through my Sansui QRX-9001?

In another thread, I mentioned that I purchased a decoder/audio extractor... the reason for choosing this particular model... it has a hard 4.0 channel output in its setup, supports DTS... Model sold under many names across eBay... Mine labeled RAHNE RH-699X Pro. (4K HDMI 5.1 Audio Decoder Bluetooth 5.0 DAC Lossless For DTS U Disk) Been playing with the unit across a Lafayette LA-84. Works well... but need that DTS HD Master Audio compatible hardware... need a hardware audit...Ha

I came to the same conclusion on the Blu-ray player with a selection of the Sony UBP-X800M2 player... mine is on its way here.

To play a quad blu ray through a legacy quad receiver like the Sansui QRX-9001, I would expect to use multi channel analogue outputs from the blu ray player into discrete 4 channel inputs on the receiver. If a legacy quad system doesn't have discrete 4 channel inputs or the blu ray player doesn't have multi channel analogue outputs then you're pretty much stuffed I would say.

The modern expectation obviously is to use HDMI from the blu ray player to the AV amp. My amp is older than HDMI audio, it'll do DTS and Dolby Digital over optical/coax but that's the lot. So I'm using multi channel analogue outputs from my Oppo 95 blu ray to my Arcam AVR350 amp.

Again, in checking the finer details of the relationship between DTS:X and DTS HD Master Audio... getting the correct sound out of (4) channels when older DTS only supported 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 Surround. Something must be downmixing the 5.1 to Discrete 4 channel... which I believe is what the DTS:X layer above the DTS Master Audio layer is doing. Supposedly, DTS:X allows any mapping across 9 channels, and in our case this includes (Quad).

I have no idea what a Pre-DTS:X mapping would produce, while it may sound pleasing, it won’t likely be the same as a discrete 4 channel... Again, why I chanced an eBay purchase for a box with a “hard” (4) channel output option... Choosing a current AVR that supports DTS:X is what is likely required to ensure, the vintage of the Blu-ray player might ultimately impact outputs. I understand for instance, that DTS HD Master Audio only supports 2 channel output on Toslink... meaning there are limits on the bitstream... why I suspect the marketplace creates inexpensive extractors to bridge these smaller distributions like Quadio recordings... the one I bough

Continued: ”supports a set of 5.1 channel analog audio output, supports 6 output modes of 2.0, 2.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0 and 5.1 channels”... it’s a really interesting box, but while it supports DTS... nothing in writing with those specific magic words of DTS:X and DTS HD Master Audio... so without alot of expensive test gear... it’s just ears.

It seems trickier to do correctly than I would have expected... Given the marketplace where Rhino and presumably others are looking at rereleasing their Quad catalogs... Quad is interesting to us... and not so interesting to many !

The world needs new hardware specifically supporting Quad... an integrated amp with full support for the Quadraphonic vinyl & tape past including; multiple Matrix versions and CD-4, with support through multichannel digital...

Back