QUADIO DOOBIES - Exclusive First Look at the box

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Steve and the rest of you, here is the poster that comes in the "Vices" sleeve, along with a look at the inner QuadraDisc sleeve as well. You can judge the size of the poster by comparing it with the Quadio Box and disc.

View attachment 55014

Dang. I'd forgotten all about that poster from the original LP release. It hung on the back of my bedroom door for years.

I am not a big fan of the pre-Michael McDonald Doobies and was not planning on getting this (among many other new releases that I am DEFINITELY not interested in)
BUT
This post has changed my mind and I will succumb!

Thanks Jon...
Some folks feel just the opposite, I however, love it all 😋

OK, y'all. Here is your first look at the upcoming Quadio Doobie Brothers Box Set. Thanks to Steve Woolard of Rhino graciously sending me an advance copy (it just showed up, I had no idea, and no power!) I have it in hand and have it all scoped out. This thing is FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY!!

The design is simple yet elegant. The discs are easy to get at and get out, and they're just as easy to put back. And getting them in and out does not take a toll on the packaging, as is the case in so many fancy expensive sets these days.

The discs come in replica album sleeves of a very high quality, sturdy buggers they are. The discs themselves are in a clear plastic sleeve inserted into an inner sleeve, then into the album jacket replica. These appear to be exact duplicates of the original CD-4 Quadradisc albums, so you get the whole 'QuadaDisc' info sleeve on all of them except "Stampede", which came with the lyric sleeve as that release appeared at the end of the quad era. And how cool is it to see, after almost 45 years, the Quadradisc logo on the album outer sleeves. It was always a treat to be leafing through albums in a store and stumble on one with the logo on it.

The box itself is well made and should hold up to many openings, so not to worry about that at all!

Anyway, here's a look at the box, then the discs:

FRONT VIEW:

View attachment 54993

BACK VIEW:

View attachment 54994

CONTENTS OF THE BOX - THE ALBUMS!!

View attachment 54995

THE INNER INFO SHEET

View attachment 54996

View attachment 54997

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, JON.

NOW I JUST WANT TO KNOW, WHICH WARNER ARTIST WITH PRIOR QUAD RELEASES WILL NEXT BE INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK 'N ROLL HALL OF FAME?

See the source image

Last edited:
How about what is the next Quadio release? Joni maybe?

YOU GOT MY VOTE, CV!

See the source image

TIME TO COURT 'N SPARK ..... IN QUAD

JONI MITCHELL -
Court & Spark. Asylum EQ-1001 (CD4), 8Q-1001 (Q8)
The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Asylum EQ-1051 (CD4), 8Q-1051 (Q8)

JONI MITCHELL -
Blue.
{Mixed to quad in 1971 according to an article in Billboard in the fall of 1971.
SHM forum, Lord Hawthorne, Mar 6, 2010}

Also rumored that Joni's exquisite Ladies of the Canyon also had a QUAD remix.

Although Joni was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997, the recent EPIX 2 part series Laurel Canyon highlighted Joni Mitchell's contributions to the allure of SoCal's Laurel Canyon mystique throughout the late 60's, 70's and well into the 80's.

Last edited:
Pupster, I was only posing (a possibly better) question after 4-earredwonder as to what I thought was on many of our minds already. ;) Some of us don't have so much reverence for the RRHoF but we all have reverence to Quadio releases.

Can I just interject here for a moment, you know, interrupt the obvious joy filling the place.

It's just that sometimes we, as a collective, the QQ membership, get all flustered and annoyed and sometimes go overboard when it comes to beating on "The Labels", or the industry, when we don't get the quad reissues or new 5.1 stuff we want, or hear about, or even might know is there. Hey, I've done it at times here. It's easy to do.

The few industry folks that are brave enough to create accounts and login here to interact with us, those guys are very special types. They are a LOT like us, want the same things we want, yet they are only employees of super large corporations. We are to that industry guy as he is to the chairman of his company. Mostly Harmless.

We want stuff, and most of the time, industry guys like Universal's "Jimby" (who no longer posts here), John Hughes (from Rhino), Steve Woolard and others, these guys want this stuff out, almost as badly as we do - but they cannot do it on their own,

Yet sometimes when they attempt to interface with the public, we take an adversarial position with them like it's their personal decision that will make or break a release. We want the Eagles so why can't we have them? Well, Steve or John or Jimby probably want the Eagles just as much as we do, but no matter how bad we want them, or how hard they try within their company, they just are not going to be available, for a myriad of reasons.
It's not their personal fault.

When this release was announced by Steve in a BOLD MOVE, which probably was done out of happiness and after much hard work on the Chicago Quadio, the announced release got delayed - a few times. I have no idea why. We can speculate but we'll never know, because they'll never say.

Still, folks here and around the internet became very negative, despite being told by some that it would be coming out, eventually as opposed to "soon". It's one thing to be disappointed in a delay, it's another to say "F it, it's never coming out. Where can I download the conversions..." or something of that sort. It's even worse to antagonize the poor company guy who comes here to interface with us only to have him get argued with by the masses.

Well, sorry, I am rambling, but the whole point here is that Steve Woolard, aka ForagingRhino, and also Steel Woole, was kind enough to announce this project 2+ years ago, and he came here to tell us about it, and he continued to tell us that yes, it was coming out, and it took a long time. If indeed it never did come out, it would not be his fault, and he'd probably be even more disappointed than we would be.

Well, now it's almost out. I have one. It's real. It's tangible. It sounds great! :)

This forum owes a very large debt of gratitude to Steve for getting this thing out. I do not know for sure, but I doubt seriously this would have ever made it as far as it did without him. Who knows if it's delays were really cancellations that were somehow salvaged by Steve or others who had an interest in it. Again, we'll never know.

So I would like to send a very strong QQ Thank You to Steve, and I don't want to hear anyone say "Why? He's just doing his job!" Enough of that shit.

This place has been around a long time, and many industry folks have passed through, from Neil Wilkes to Steven Wilson, from Bob Vosgien to Michael Dutton. There are many others who have dropped by as well, but right now, our thanks should go to Steve.

As for the release, it sounds like you would expect it to. I will go into that in detail tomorrow, but for now, as you wait for the box to arrive at your door, take a moment or two to understand how amazing it is that in 2020 we can get four 45+ year old quadraphonic recordings released in a 2020 format so that they can sound light years better than they ever could have sounded when they were released. And wonder at the astronomical odds that something like this could actually happen, and what kind of behind the scenes work had to be done by people who are a lot like us to make it happen.

OK - Rant over. Now, you can go back to ooggling the above pictures and scans

Can I just interject here for a moment, you know, interrupt the obvious joy filling the place.

It's just that sometimes we, as a collective, the QQ membership, get all flustered and annoyed and sometimes go overboard when it comes to beating on "The Labels", or the industry, when we don't get the quad reissues or new 5.1 stuff we want, or hear about, or even might know is there. Hey, I've done it at times here. It's easy to do.

The few industry folks that are brave enough to create accounts and login here to interact with us, those guys are very special types. They are a LOT like us, want the same things we want, yet they are only employees of super large corporations. We are to that industry guy as he is to the chairman of his company. Mostly Harmless.

We want stuff, and most of the time, industry guys like Universal's "Jimby" (who no longer posts here), John Hughes (from Rhino), Steve Woolard and others, these guys want this stuff out, almost as badly as we do - but they cannot do it on their own,

Yet sometimes when they attempt to interface with the public, we take an adversarial position with them like it's their personal decision that will make or break a release. We want the Eagles so why can't we have them? Well, Steve or John or Jimby probably want the Eagles just as much as we do, but no matter how bad we want them, or how hard they try within their company, they just are not going to be available, for a myriad of reasons.

When this release was announced by Steve in a BOLD MOVE, which probably was done out of happiness and after much hard work on the Chicago Quadio, the announced release got delayed - a few times. I have no idea why. We can speculate but we'll never know, because they'll never say.

Still, folks here and around the internet became very negative, despite being told by some that it would be coming out, eventually as opposed to "soon". It's one thing to be disappointed in a delay, it's another to say "F it, it's never coming out. Where can I download the conversions..." or something of that sort. It's even worse to antagonize the poor company guy who comes here to interface with us only to have him get argued with by the masses.

Well, sorry, I am rambling, but the whole point here is that Steve Woolard, aka ForagingRhino, and also Steel Woole, was kind enough to announce this project 2+ years ago, and he came here to tell us about it, and he continued to tell us that yes, it was coming out, and it took a long time. If indeed it never did come out, it would not be his fault, and he'd probably be even more disappointed than we would be.

Well, now it's almost out. I have one. It's real. It's tangible. It sounds great! :)

This forum owes a very large debt of gratitude to Steve for getting this thing out. I do not know for sure, but I doubt seriously this would have ever made it as far as it did without him. Who knows if it's delays were really cancellations that were somehow salvaged by Steve or others who had an interest in it. Again, we'll never know.

So I would like to send a very strong QQ Thank You to Steve, and I don't want to hear anyone say "Why? He's just doing his job!" Enough of that shit.

This place has been around a long time, and many industry folks have passed through, from Neil Wilkes to Steven Wilson, from Bob Vosgien to Michael Dutton. There are many others who have dropped by as well, but right now, our thanks should go to Steve.

As for the release, it sounds like you would expect it to. I will go into that in detail tomorrow, but for now, as you wait for the box to arrive at your door, take a moment or two to understand how amazing it is that in 2020 we can get four 45+ year old quadraphonic recordings released in a 2020 format so that they can sound light years better than they ever could have sounded when they were released. And wonder at the astronomical odds that something like this could actually happen, and what kind of behind the scenes work had to be done by people who are a lot like us to make it happen.

And let's not mince words, Jon ....a huge shout out to Steve for overseeing this spectacular Doobie Brothers Quadio Project [gorgeous, BTW] and quite possibly the Chicago Quadio project, as well, but an equal shout out to YOU, PERSONALLY, who will always in OUR collective minds be the FATHER OF QQ FORUM who for over 18 years nurtured what has become the pre~eminent FORUM OF ALL THINGS SURROUND without whose guidance doubtful we'd ever be experiencing this resurgence in QUAD MUSIC with such overwhelming results.

Last edited:
I often thought about the difficulty in selling a project like this to "the suits".....think about it...you are trying to convince your bosses to support a format that was over in the 70's.... in a time when physical discs in general are on life support...and it's in the premiere format AND it's inexpensive as well....pretty awesome..IMO..

The cool thing about this box is it's almost exactly what our own Ryan (rtbluray) predicted quite a while ago. Very cool!

Well Rhino already set the standard with the Chicago Quadio box set, so it wasn't difficult to imagine how a Doobie Brothers Quadio box set would look, and now a little over 4 years on from the Chicago set, we have the Doobies set now too!

I've said it before (and I'll say it again) it's difficult to imagine another Quadio set that Rhino could release like this one (mostly because either most of their artists don't have enough Quad mixes to fill a box set or even if they do they probably wouldn't be big sellers like this one or the Chicago set) so I think we'll look back on both of these releases as the perfect storms for us Quad fans!

Thanks, @Steel Woole! You know you can always count on us to support QUADIO

:)

Very nice looking package! Although one minor quibble—they should have used the original green WB label for Toulouse Street! :).

Or was the quad LP of that one always on the “street” label?

I think they made the right call using the CD-4 LP label - it is the Quadio set after all.

View attachment 55030

Yes. Right after I posted that it occurred to me that the Toulouse Street quad LP would likely have been released a couple of years after the original stereo release and pressed with the newer label.

Well said, Jon

Back