Quadio titles from Rhinohandmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't see much reasons to do buzz about. having the master on the hands and sell to
"limited audiofile market" DTS... well what can i say. i considered this move nothing else
but spit in the face of those who's consider themselves audiofiles.
so i just didn't purchased neither of this two.
if such "quadio" initiative has died, i'm really feel no sorrow for it.
the logic is as simple as piss on the fence - you need my money, give me in return something
i would willing to pay for. everything else is bs which will never be appreciated by faceless
corporations who's interested in the huge profit only and never will consider "audiofile market"
as serious one.

Lossless. *breaks out into a fit of uncontrolable laughter* Yeah man, I wanna hear ALL the hiss on that 40 year old tape. Groovy man. I can't believe people STILL try and throw that arguement out there. Blu-Ray. FML. Blu Ray will be dead in short order. Hopefully, Lossless (whatever the hell that is) will die with it too just to shut those folks up. DTS is a fine format. Even Dolby can be really good if done properly (The Steve Miller 5.1 anyone?) Why reinvent the wheel? Thousands of homes have DTS/DD capable systems while maybe a few dozen have lossless. The companies will always appeal to the masses. They're in it to make money. If 10,000 people lined up to buy a DTS disc and 4 lined up to buy a Lossless.... who do you think these companies will appeal to?

Like John Lennon said: " We even did a lossless mix..... for the four people who listen to lossless. "

Lossless. *breaks out into a fit of uncontrolable laughter* Yeah man, I wanna hear ALL the hiss on that 40 year old tape. Groovy man. I can't believe people STILL try and throw that arguement out there. Blu-Ray. FML. Blu Ray will be dead in short order. Hopefully, Lossless (whatever the hell that is) will die with it too just to shut those folks up. DTS is a fine format. Even Dolby can be really good if done properly (The Steve Miller 5.1 anyone?) Why reinvent the wheel? Thousands of homes have DTS/DD capable systems while maybe a few dozen have lossless. The companies will always appeal to the masses. They're in it to make money. If 10,000 people lined up to buy a DTS disc and 4 lined up to buy a Lossless.... who do you think these companies will appeal to?

Like John Lennon said: " We even did a lossless mix..... for the four people who listen to lossless. "
It's not dts vs lossless. The dts/dolby stuff doesn't sell a whole lot more than the dvd-a/sacd stuff. It's 5.1 music that's the problem. People don't care. The market for surround isn't there. That's why there are so few titles relative to the total number of albums being produced. And by the way, you can laugh if you want - it's your right - but lossless is the only thing that keeps me in the surround game. It's almost perfection - I love it.

They're all too busy getting those re-issues out on 180 and 200 gram vinyl for the "audiophiles".
i'm afraid that's true. inspite the fact that vinyl probably is worst (after shellack) among mediums
for archiving and reproducing the sound, it seems still represent greater chunk of market for labels
than advanced digital formats.

Vinyl is ready made. It represents a product that's cheaper to manufacture with little or no engineering costs. Advanced res. requires returning to the masters and carries higher engineering costs. No 5.1 or Quad mix exists? Add more cost for mixing. Vinyl re-releases are on the cheap, like most things today.

Linda

i'm afraid that's true. inspite the fact that vinyl probably is worst (after shellack) among mediums
for archiving and reproducing the sound, it seems still represent greater chunk of market for labels
than advanced digital formats.

Shellack had a lot of problems, but if i saw a 78 cut from a tape with minimal scratches and a 45 7 inch of the same thing pressed at the same time, I'd be more inclined to play the 78 first..
assuming i still had my old ortofon 78 spu...which I don't...

Vinyl is ready made. It represents a product that's cheaper to manufacture with little or no engineering costs. Advanced res. requires returning to the masters and carries higher engineering costs. No 5.1 or Quad mix exists? Add more cost for mixing. Vinyl re-releases are on the cheap, like most things today.
Linda
you're right to some degree in regards of remixing of old multi tracks into surround master.
but can you imagine let's say EMI classical archive. there perhaps several thousand of master
tapes with already done quadraphonic mixes. what a big deal to convert them into digital format,
print out and sell?
few month back they offered Barclaym James and Harvest (CD+ADVD) around 20 bucks per set.
albeit DTS surround only but as bonus it has original SQ stream at 96/24 which can be decoded in
same way as LP but in much better sound clarity and quality.
freaking Rhino doesn't gave even such option.

Good point Otto. But perhaps though Rhino themselves don't have the option or "license" to offer the stereo tracks for a CD+DVD package. Which in an ideal world would be great, and at a lower price point. But lower prices relate to how many units are sold. More discs options also add more licencing costs as well. As we know, the more discs that are produced, the manufacturing costs go down per package, which here are beautifully produced. Also, these Quadio titles are professionally mastered by a top mastering engineer. So cost/what disc format is, based upon what the end product actually is, one might guess is how it must be in order to turn a profit. Unlike certain DVD-A, SACD and Dualdisc titles that didn't have perhaps the profits expected for the usual reasons, lack of advertising or ability to play discs at the time, etc.

The first Quadio title sold out and eventually the Aretha Franklin title I'm willing to bet will sell out as more "Quadio" titles and interest builds upon itself. Perhaps more disc/format options will avail themselves with more sales and titles. From other posts here, it sounds that we're good and more titles will come out at some point. We've got to start somewhere first in order to build markets. Warner's HUGE "Turner Classic Movies" vintage DVD movie store (which took years to build the market and get products out) shows what can be done when you take the long view and offer sales and many format options: http://www.tcm.com/shop/ TCM continues to grow in popularity along with sales for these movies. Vintage movies never before released on DVD, remasterd nicely come out on a regular basis now.

I truly hope there exists a large amount of unreleased MCH mixes sitting around somewhere with plans to release some/all.
Hell, I'll take DTS CD's for a reasonable price if I can't get hi rez.
But all these years have come and gone and I'm not getting any younger, you know?
Who knows how much longer my admittedly already degraded hearing will last? I can't afford to support releases dribbling out that I just plain don't want in the hopes something better is coming "soon".
I understand the hope behind buying everything MCH as a show of support for future releases; I say if you are so inclined and can afford it, do so. Some of us can't and at some point any thoughts at targeting an aging audience will be moot. It's rapidly approaching the point of "too little, too late" for rolling out 35 year old MCH mixes.

but can you imagine let's say EMI classical archive. there perhaps several thousand of master tapes with already done quadraphonic mixes. what a big deal to convert them into digital format,print out and sell?

It's an unfortunate fact that 99.9% of EMI's quadraphonic output was only mixed direct to an SQ master as EMI dumped any discrete releases very early on. Only a few of the original Q4****** SQ releases were also released on Q8, and we do know that the 4 channel masters for say, Andre Previns superb rendition of Holst's 'The Planets' still exisst (expect a release in the future).

The same probably goes for Pye's Quad output in te UK, as well as US labels like 'Impulse', 'Ovation' etc

OD

these Quadio titles are professionally mastered by a top mastering engineer
honestly i'm in pretty doubtful mood about professionalism of those, who believe that there are no differences in
fidelity of the sound between PCM and mp3... oops! sorry, i meant DTS.
time and time again we're here looking for excuses for their decision but really, i'm lost to see any logical explanation,
giving pomposity how this initiative was introduced and final estimation of worthiness of it in amounts of bucks for retail.

It's an unfortunate fact that 99.9% of EMI's quadraphonic output was only mixed direct to an SQ master as EMI dumped any discrete releases very early on.
OD
are you sure about this?
as far as i understand, to got the matrix quad, one need at first have discrete quad.
doesn't make much sense to make discrete, use it for matrix and then destroy.
at least great part of their classical DVDA in early 2000s are 4.0 from quad masters. same apply
to present SACDs releases by Polyhymnia on Pentatone label. all their stuff are original quad masters
from Philips archive, albeit Philips itself had never released those titles in quadraphonic formats back in 70-th.

honestly i'm in pretty doubtful mood about professionalism of those, who believe that there are no differences in

are you sure about this?
as far as i understand, to got the matrix quad, one need at first have discrete quad.
at least great part of their classical DVDA in early 2000s are 4.0 from quad masters. same apply
to present SACDs releases by Polyhymnia on Pentatone label. all their stuff are original quad masters
from Philips archive, albeit Philips itself had never released those titles in quadraphonic formats back in 70-th.

Firstly, i'm afraid i cannot agree with the lack of difference between PCM & DTS. I hear it....

And yes, i 100% positive about the SQ masters. The encoders used allowed live mixdown to SQ as they didn't rely on just 4 channel input, as did the QS encoders used by PYE (which were 4 channel input). There was no need to mix to 4 channel first, then use that to feed the encoder.

There was a feed FROM the encoder where a four channel master could be made while the encoding was done in real time.

OD

Good logic, Otto. There's one point that you missed: record companies often aren't logical. Missing discrete Quad masters likely still exist, yet LOCATING THEM in their vaults may be another matter. CBS lost the S&G masters until the Old Friends box. What about the multitrack Quadrophenia masters? NBC TV still takes the cake for boneheadedness (did i invent a word?) when some suit decided to save money on blank videotape by recording over old Tonight Show Carson episodes.

Are they doing massive quantities of drugs or are they just that inept. Maybe it's a bit of both.

Linda

time and time again we're here looking for excuses for their decision but really, i'm lost to see any logical explanation,
giving pomposity how this initiative was introduced and final estimation of worthiness of it in amounts of bucks for retail.

are you sure about this?

NBC TV still takes the cake for boneheadedness (did i invent a word?) when some suit decided to save money on blank videotape by recording over old Tonight Show Carson episodes.

Linda

The BBC did the exact same thing. Anything that was on the BBC prior to 1970 basically does not exist unless they've found Videotape copies or the shows were filmed. Dozens of episodes of Dr. Who, Top of the Pops and yes even Monty Python's Flying Circus was next to be wiped had not somebody found the foresight to save those tapes.

Videotape was expensive. There are probably more U.S. shows that have disappeared that we've forgotten about. Thankfully, this side of the planet was slow to adopt videotape as an archival media and stuck with film stock much longer. I heard a story a long time ago that had Star Trek been on videotape, it would've been wiped! :eek: That's how crazy NBC (and possibly other networks) were getting.

What annoys me about Rhino Handmade and also WB's "Because Sound Matters" webstore is that, for example, these would be the PERFECT outlet for WB to sell things like the Japanese SACDs, or maybe repressings of previously released DVD-As.

For crying out loud it's a no brainer that they could make money off of these sales and keep tangible product out there for cars and home surround systems.

They're doing the EXACT thing in Japan: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/warnermusic/wpcr-14165/

Why can't they do it here. They already have the infrastructure in place.

It's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correctamundo, Jon. They're hammerheads!

Linda

What annoys me about Rhino Handmade and also WB's "Because Sound Matters" webstore is that, for example, these would be the PERFECT outlet for WB to sell things like the Japanese SACDs, or maybe repressings of previously released DVD-As.

For crying out loud it's a no brainer that they could make money off of these sales and keep tangible product out there for cars and home surround systems.

They're doing the EXACT thing in Japan: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/warnermusic/wpcr-14165/

Well you in the USA have one over on us in Europe, we couldn't order the Quadio titles!!!!

OD

Good point...I had forgotten all about Because Sound Matters. They sold existing stock of a few DVD-As at the beginnnig but that's long gone.
Thought they tempted us with DVD-A when they started up, it was obvious from the get go that vinyl was their focus.
Which is fine I suppose, but they shouldn't have raised our hopes.
It's a shame, it would have been a license to print money. Not a lot of money in their scheme of things but every dollar counts.

Back