• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Quadraphonic cassette (not 8 track) playback.

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Never knew about uniphase on reel , but then it's usage wouldn't matter much as all matrix encoded masters exist on 2ch reel . They were in use for matrix encoding and those recordings captured on any variety of 2ch reel by various manufacturers.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Never knew about uniphase on reel , but then it's usage wouldn't matter much as all matrix encoded masters exist on 2ch reel . They were in use for matrix encoding and those recordings captured on any variety of 2ch reel by various manufacturers.
That is true but not with consumer level gear. Most home tape decks pale in comparison to a 15 or 30 ips twin track master, some of which were on 1/2" tape stock. It was hard enough with some machines to get an even pack unless you only play and store. The guides were not accurate enough to keep the tape aligned more than marginally on many machines which I suspect would through an SQ or QS decoder into a tizzy. Lt's not even consider the vast majority of cassette decks and certainly not on 8-track cartridge. I have Angel 8-tracks that are apparently SQ encoded and will likely never open them to try as the results would be atrocious.

Soundfield

701 Club - QQ All-Star
That is true but not with consumer level gear.
Yup, we're not talking professional studio gear here. To be honest though I'm not sure many of those tape decks would ever have recorded much matrix material - apart from LP's what encoded sources were there to copy from in the domestic environment, the odd FM broadcast perhaps? And then what would you do with them? How many of your friends had tape decks and quad decoders ?

Last edited:

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That is true but not with consumer level gear. Most home tape decks pale in comparison to a 15 or 30 ips twin track master, some of which were on 1/2" tape stock. It was hard enough with some machines to get an even pack unless you only play and store. The guides were not accurate enough to keep the tape aligned more than marginally on many machines which I suspect would through an SQ or QS decoder into a tizzy. Lt's not even consider the vast majority of cassette decks and certainly not on 8-track cartridge. I have Angel 8-tracks that are apparently SQ encoded and will likely never open them to try as the results would be atrocious.

Those 30 ips reels of matrix quad would be a real treat to have . Makes me wonder how many are still in storage and will they ever be utilized again. (Or for that matter any speed)