Quadraphonic cassette (not 8 track) playback.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my knowledge, there never were any discrete four-channel cassettes. A matrix-encoded cassette would have to be decoded for proper quad playback (exactly like SQ/QS vinyl).

Simply run the two-channel out of your standard cassette deck into your QS decoder's two-channel input and you should be set.

What is needed to play an RM encoded cassette tape to get quadraphonic sound ?

1. Any stereo cassette deck.
  2. An RM decoder.
Plug item 1 into item 2!

And , is there such a thing as a quadraphonic cassette player?

Strictly no (Philips never endorsed the concept) but a few 4 track decks were made for studio purposes (e.g. by TASCAM) and obviously you could have used them for quad.

To my knowledge, there never were any discrete four-channel cassettes. A matrix-encoded cassette would have to be decoded for proper quad playback (exactly like SQ/QS vinyl).

Simply run the two-channel out of your standard cassette deck into your QS decoder's two-channel input and you should be set.
Thanks for the info. I do have a QRX 9001 and a SC 737 I will use to try it .
Just found this : https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/quad-cassette-dolby-c.24730/page-2

So , are these two tapes not quad ?

Attachments

• pfjapanodeontapeemza3534front.jpg
    pfjapanodeontapeemza3534front.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 245
  • pfjapanodeontapeeoza3523frontsmall.jpg
    pfjapanodeontapeeoza3523frontsmall.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
  1. Any stereo cassette deck.
  2. An RM decoder.
Plug item 1 into item 2!

Strictly no (Philips never endorsed the concept) but a few 4 track decks were made for studio purposes (e.g. by TASCAM) and obviously you could have used them for quad.
Thanks ! Then I do already have the equip. I just have to set it up.
They are encoded stereo. Just like a QS or SQ LP, you would play those on a stereo deck and send the output to a QS decoder (or Surround Master)
Thanks , I have the QRX 9001 which has the QS decoder built in. So I am going to attach the Sansui 737 cassette deck to it and see what comes out. Haven't got the tape yet though. It's on its way from Japan.

They are encoded stereo. Just like a QS or SQ LP, you would play those on a stereo deck and send the output to a QS decoder (or Surround Master)
So they are RM encoded !? I was just conversing with the owner of the AHM tape. He thinks the tape (and the DSOTM tape) is a quadraphonic to stereo tape. He's not a quad guy , but a Pink Floyd collector (40yrs) and fan. Check out his site:
http://www.batini.com/pinkfloydjapantape/

I was thinking of the Tascam 234....

Of course it wasn't intended for domestic use and certainly not with quad in mind (and was released in 1984, long after everyone had forgotten about that fad!) -

Tascam 234.jpg

Last edited:
Not any I see on eBay still on sale, and many were "parts only" sales. Intriguing piece of gear for sure! Now for a dumb question: what should we expect from the audio quality as there's little tape width for all four channels? At first I thought maybe it could be both sides of tape like 2x2 channels all one direction, but quickly disabused myself of that as it's a closed cassette. Also, are there any pre-recorded tapes out there for sale at a reasonable price? With the availability of analog to digital transfer from Quad sources like QS/SQ it seems more of a curio. But heck yeah, if you can find one in good working condition for small coin it'd be worth a gander.

Not any I see on eBay still on sale, and many were "parts only" sales. Intriguing piece of gear for sure! Now for a dumb question: what should we expect from the audio quality as there's little tape width for all four channels?
Well, all stereo cassettes had four tracks so this is no different in that regard (its just that they play in the same direction simultaneously on this one.). The machine had dBx II noise reduction and the tape speed (3.75 ips)was double that of normal cassette machines so it should sound pretty good - most TASCAM machines do, and were made for professional use. It was not a standard domestic format so there was no reason for any pre-recorded material to be released, and it would have to have been of very limited duration (the single playing direction and double tape speed meant 15mins on a C60!) - not that Philips would have allowed it as it would have breached the cassette licencing standards anyway.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the Tascam 234....

Of course it wasn't intended for domestic use and certainly not with quad in mind (and was released in 1984, long after everyone had forgotten about that fad!) -

View attachment 43047

Ha, just noticed the text on the bottom "DESIGNED BY POPULAR COMPLAINT." :)

Rawmacias, first, if the cassettes you found are indeed RM encoded and not just incorrect album art, I am envious. I have the Yamaha MT44 four channel cassette deck that had Dolby B and C and pitch control. There was a mixer and a cabinet as well but I did not buy them. I bought it because I was thinking of transferring Dolby reels and playing back by cassette until I found a TEAC 4 channel Dolby unit. My understanding was that a 4 track cassette deck had the head gaps in slightly different places than a stereo cassette head made for auto reverse. Having used the Yamaha for stereo cassette playback I am not really impressed. Please let us know if you play your tapes and if they are indeed quad encoded in your opinion. Now if I could only find and afford a dolby test tape like the TEAC YTT5001.

Rawmacias, first, if the cassettes you found are indeed RM encoded and not just incorrect album art, I am envious. I have the Yamaha MT44 four channel cassette deck that had Dolby B and C and pitch control. There was a mixer and a cabinet as well but I did not buy them. I bought it because I was thinking of transferring Dolby reels and playing back by cassette until I found a TEAC 4 channel Dolby unit. My understanding was that a 4 track cassette deck had the head gaps in slightly different places than a stereo cassette head made for auto reverse. Having used the Yamaha for stereo cassette playback I am not really impressed. Please let us know if you play your tapes and if they are indeed quad encoded in your opinion. Now if I could only find and afford a dolby test tape like the TEAC YTT5001.
Might take a while , but will do. Also :

http://www.gennlab.com/level_cass.html

Back