Quadraphonic with 4 monoblocks ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in my case I would first need to encode the 4 tracks from the DAW with another piece of hardware right? Does the EMOTIVA UMC 200 also require an encoded input?

Philip if you have 4 discrete channels already, can you just feed them into your amplifiers?

Whether 4x mono or 2x stereo, or a multichannel HT system

Last edited:
So in my case I would first need to encode the 4 tracks from the DAW with another piece of hardware right? Does the EMOTIVA UMC 200 also require an encoded input?
Are you just listening or developing surround product to share/sell?

If just listening, an amp/receiver with analog inputs would accept your DAW outputs if you have a sound card or interface box to support that connection.

If encoding for a finished product there are encoders (DTS, Dolby Digital) that you either acquire or pay pro services to accomplish. Who is the audience and what decoding/playback capabilities do you think they have?
I believe QQ member Bill Brent has been encoding existing quad material into Surround Master with an SM encoder. You might drop him a private message.

I have tried to make a wav file with 4 tracks; I have no way of knowing if I have succeeded because I don't have quadraphonic equipment. I post a screenshot of the REAPER DAW rendering parameters. As can be seen I have chosen 4 tracks, the file in REAPER from which it is rendered has also 4 tracks. One track for each of the 4 virtual instruments; Flute, Tambourine, acoustic guitar and 12 string acoustic guitar; the other rendering choices where Stereo, 6 and 8 tracks, people normally choose stereo.

I really hope one of you can reproduce this file quadraphonically. To know exactly and in detail what equipment was necessary to reproduce this file quadraphonically would give me a solid starting point to understand my quadraphonic requirements.

I just tried to attach the short wav test file but apparently it is to large, 79 MB. What is the maximum size possible? Or preferably, since I would preffer not to cut it, is there somewhere else I can send it?

I thank everyone in advance.

REAPER RENDER SETTINGS for INTERMESO.jpg

I’d use something like Dropbox to move large files around with others... unfamiliar with the REAPER DAW... The Involve encoder (Creator/Maker Version) or their pro unit will take (4) analog inputs and other surround variants and matrix them into 2 channel, as suggested by our moderator timbre4... http://involveaudio.com/creators-makers/ is the link to their Creator/Maker page. Here you’ll find the required Involve Audio Encoder & Decoder(s) as well for playback. Alternatively, you might take a look at software from Pspatial Audio... at Stereo Lab - Meet the Family

Figuring it out is half the fun. Good luck...

well one easy way of doing it would be to buy a cheap multichannel mixer, route each Reaper channel to it's own output, and feed the 4 discrete channels into a pair of stereo amps-->4 speakers

Where does the DA conversion take place? In the cheap multichannel mixer?

well if he's using a computer, I assume it has a soundcard? that you feed to the mixer

that brings up the issue of getting 4 audio outs from your soundcard though. hmm. maybe I missed a step?

you might need a USB interface/mixer to get the 4 audio outs from the PC

I hope I'm beginning to understand, Please correct me if I still don't get it. The normal way is to encode the file from the PC because most quadraphonic equipment can only input encoded material into a dedicated quadraphonic decoder, therefore I would need both an encoder and dedicated quad Decoder like the ones you have Recommend. This I find quite complicated, specially the encoding part.
Electric Moo's train of thought seems more logical since it does not involve encoding and decoding which is really a little absurd apart from expensive and difficult.
If this is correct I still have two questions.
1. to LuvMyQuad. Is there a difference between the wav file with 4 channels I have made and a "discrete 4 channel wav file"?
2. To Electric Moo. Is there a "USB interface/mixer capable of getting the 4 audio outs from the PC? If so please recommend one. I wonder if this would do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHURLHM?tag=gr-best-audio-interface-20
Later on today I will try reducing the length of my wav file to see if the forum lets me post it. If this does not work I could send it by email in which case I would need an email to send it to.
I also intend to look into this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpUnqgHq6ZAk-qlQwknEYA
Thanks again for the patience and help.

Last edited:
I hope I'm beginning to understand, Please correct me if I still don't get it. The normal way is to encode the file from the PC because most quadraphonic equipment can only input encoded material into a dedicated quadraphonic decoder, therefore I would need both an encoder and dedicated quad Decoder like the ones you have Recommend. This I find quite complicated, specially the encoding part.
This is partly correct. Quad gear from the 70s relied on encoding and decoding to take a 2 channel source and decode it to 4 channels. Its a matrixed system, and was never fully discrete. To play a discrete source, like 70's era reel to reel tapes, 8 track tapes, or their modern equivalent, your self created 4 channel tracks, no encoding or decoding is necessary.

Unless you want to decode quad records from the 70s, no quad decoder is necessary. Don't get confused between a decoder meant to get 4 channels out of 2 (70's quad systems) and a decoder meant to convert digital into analog (DAC), which you do need to play your files back on an audio system.

Electric Moo's train of thought seems more logical since it does not involve encoding and decoding which is really a little absurd apart from expensive and difficult.
If this is correct I still have two questions.
1. to LuvMyQuad. Is there a difference between the wav file with 4 channels I have made and a "discrete 4 channel wav file"?
No difference. they are the same thing.

2. To Electric Moo. Is there a "USB interface/mixer capable of getting the 4 audio outs from the PC? If so please recommend one. I wonder if this would do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHURLHM?tag=gr-best-audio-interface-20
I hope others join in here to confirm, But I believe the device you have linked is made to mix 4 channels to stereo.. It does have 4 RCA outs though so perhaps, if those are level controlled, it may work.

Later on today I will try reducing the length of my wav file to see if the forum lets me post it. If this does not work I could send it by email in which case I would need an email to send it to.
I also intend to look into this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpUnqgHq6ZAk-qlQwknEYA
Thanks again for the patience and help.
You could also try converting the wav file to FLAC. I'm sure we can all play those as well and it will certainly reduce the file size.

Philip most anything by Mackie or Behringer would probably do the trick, all you need is multichannel out from your computer, so one of their small USB interface/mixers would serve the task. It would basically function as its own sound card. Let me re- read the thread & see what you're using, I'm on my phone here.

Do you live near a music store? They could recommend something: new gear would have a warranty which is useful

Allright: are you

1. just trying to play back your own 4 channel music
2. do you plan to release tracks for other people with surround gear to play?

1. Is fairly easy, with a mixer/interface, and the discrete 4 channel audio
2. Needs an encoder, and a decoder to play back the encoded 2 channel audio file

Involve sell a bare bones encoder for $150 I believe? And their Surroundmaster is a decoder

You would need an audio interface to record, mix, monitor your tracks anyway

Electric Moo
1. just trying to play back your own 4 channel music YES
2. do you plan to release tracks for other people with surround gear to play? NO

I have one of these: 6 Channel 5.1 External USB Sound Card Adapter Optical Audio Laptop Notebook PC | eBay
It's nothing fancy but it does work. The ad says 48khz but my laptop shows that it is 24/96 capable(in USB only), the plugs are very close together though. You might be able to find it for cheaper.
If this works that is what I'll buy, I've seen something even smaller which would be even more comfortable with the laptop. [US$5.09] USB Sound Card 7.1 Channel 3D Audio Sound Card Mic Adapter for 3.5mm Jack Stereo Headset for Mac OS Android Linux Computer Components from Computers & Office on banggood.com
But if yours works I would rather not risk anything else. I could get them both since they are so inexpensive.
Electric Moo,
furui_suterioo

Please tell me exactly how your equipment is hooked up, the whole chain From 4 channel wav or FLAC file to 4 speakers each reproducing a different channel.
I imagine Laptop, USB, interface/mixer, quad amp or 4 monoblocks, four speakers. Correct?

Thanks.

I had to cut the length and render it as FLAC. It is only a test.
If someone manages to reproduce it with quadraphonic sound please let me know. I am naturally interested in exactly what pieces of equipment where involved and how.
Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Intermezo 4 Channel FLAC part..flac
    3.1 MB · Views: 218
Electric Moo
1. just trying to play back your own 4 channel music YES
2. do you plan to release tracks for other people with surround gear to play? NO

If this works that is what I'll buy, I've seen something even smaller which would be even more comfortable with the laptop. [US$5.09] USB Sound Card 7.1 Channel 3D Audio Sound Card Mic Adapter for 3.5mm Jack Stereo Headset for Mac OS Android Linux Computer Components from Computers & Office on banggood.com
But if yours works I would rather not risk anything else. I could get them both since they are so inexpensive.
Electric Moo,
furui_suterioo

Please tell me exactly how your equipment is hooked up, the whole chain From 4 channel wav or FLAC file to 4 speakers each reproducing a different channel.
I imagine Laptop, USB, interface/mixer, quad amp or 4 monoblocks, four speakers. Correct?

Thanks.
Hi, I use foobar on windows 10 laptop to play DVD-A, DTS, 4CHWAV/FLAC, etc.. the card hooked up through USB with the analog outs going to the 4CH input on my quad amp. I have had it hooked up to two Sony stereo amps before, but then have two volume controls, lately I've had it hooked up to quad 8-track recorder.

I had to cut the length and render it as FLAC. It is only a test.
If someone manages to reproduce it with quadraphonic sound please let me know. I am naturally interested in exactly what pieces of equipment where involved and how.
Thank you so much.
This is a four channel file with content in only the front two channels. Did you intend to render this down to a four channel file with content in all four channels?

This is a four channel file with content in only the front two channels. Did you intend to render this down to a four channel file with content in all four channels?
Yes it is my first attempt at making a 4 channel playable file, I probably did something wrong, however 2 channels are empty for a great part of the file only 2 Guitars playing, later a Floute comes in a 3d channel and after that the Tambourine for a very short time on the 4th channel. Did you listen to all the file to the end?

Back