Quadraphonic with 4 monoblocks ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cloth can dry out and let some air pass making what we call a barking sound there is a sealant from Bose parts express used to seal them up again.

An option would be to use two Dual Mono amplifiers (Dual Mono is a single chassis with two independent power supplies and amplifiers). There’s a few companies that assemble HypeX based amplifiers worldwide which are high performance/price ratio).

There’s many AVRs that can be used a preamp for Quad. Although finding one with both multichannel analog ins and analog outs limits your options. Plenty with just analog outs. An AVR would allow you to input all sorts of HDMI devices from BD players, media players and TVs (and analog devices with analog inputs). Worth considering IMO.

My current main setup uses a Denon AVR as a decoder/preamp with analog outs to two main power amps. One a dual mono 2 channel and the other a tri channel with two power supplies, one for C and other for two side channels. All are rated 400W into 8ohms (1200W into 2ohm).

Edit: Link to similar HypeX based amps from a US vendor:

https://vtvamplifier.com/ncore/

The problems I have encountered with AVR's is that they don't have analog inputs ( the surroundmaster only has analog outs ), and the very expensive ones that do usually only have 1 set. I also have a DVD audio player with analog outs I would like to connect, etc. Plus you have to pay for the built in amplifiers on the AVR that you are bypassing to use the mono-blocks. I have a lower end AVR that I am using for Quad now, but will probably give in at some point and upgrade to a high end one with the analog in and out ( I just have an in now ). At that point I will probably just give up and use the AVR amps to power the channels, but that is not really what I would prefer to do.

I am way over my head in this, I thought it would be less expensive and better with monoblock kits but:
At least $150 for the preamp
At least $300 for each monoblock kit amp
Total $1350.
Alternatively
DENON 5.2 Channel receiver from $400.
I'm glad members seem to be enjoying the subject. I will enjoy reading more about it. I hope someone builds the quadraphonic monoblock set and lets us know. I feel I should apologise for bringing it up. Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll save all the information for when I can do it. The recommend equipment I have on my favourites list.
I have decided to first continue to try to make the old stuff I inherited work.
I’ll start preparing a sample file to post here, important to know that you would be glad to try it out forme.
I'll continue checking the woofers movement and continue refinishing the speaker cabinets.
I'm going to need about 20 meters of good quality hopefully inexpensive speaker cable to hook up the 4 speaker cabinets. Advice welcome.

Last edited:
I just spotted this on Amazon:

Marantz AV7705 - 11.2 Channel AV Audio Component Pre-Amplifier

It looks really fantastic but costs as much as a high end AVR, so it will drive the total cost up quite a bit. It has nice balanced outs that would be great to hook up to the Vidars!

They have an AV8805 also but it is more than double the price of the 7705. I would be interested in hearing from anyone using/familiar with them or if anyone knows of a similar product at a little lower cost. The 7705 is $2k on Amazon.

I just spotted this on Amazon:

Marantz AV7705 - 11.2 Channel AV Audio Component Pre-Amplifier

It looks really fantastic but costs as much as a high end AVR, so it will drive the total cost up quite a bit. It has nice balanced outs that would be great to hook up to the Vidars!

They have an AV8805 also but it is more than double the price of the 7705. I would be interested in hearing from anyone using/familiar with them or if anyone knows of a similar product at a little lower cost. The 7705 is $2k on Amazon.

Real objective reviews for you. The 7705 did especially poorly.

AV 8805
AV 7705

Since I can't find a new M.C. preamp, what (preferrably new) AVR would be good quality (sound and build) and support at least 5.1 analog in and 5.1 analog out to use as a preamp for a mono-block Quad / 5.1 setup? I would appreciate some suggestions!

Since I can't find a new M.C. preamp, what (preferrably new) AVR would be good quality (sound and build) and support at least 5.1 analog in and 5.1 analog out to use as a preamp for a mono-block Quad / 5.1 setup? I would appreciate some suggestions!
Finding a new AVR with analog in/out is going to be an expensive proposition. A Denon AVR-X3700H goes for $1300 new and will get you the outputs, but not the inputs. Same with a Denon AVR-X6700, which goes for $3k. You would have to go with a Denon AVR-X8500 which goes for $4k to get that MCH analog input. Of course you also get a full complement of audio codecs, additional connectivity, and a multichannel amp (which you aren't going to use?).

I'd re-consider a used AVR from when analog ins used to be common. Id also consider something like this....

Emotiva UMC-200

$400 gets you a pre/pro with all popular codecs except Atmos with 7.1 analog in and out. I own one. Its hard to beat for the price.

I am working on a similar concept, using the Surroundmaster V2 into a pair of Sansui stereo amps rather than 4x mono blocks. The SM spits out 4 analog signals which are fed to each: one driving the front pair of speakers & the other the rear pair of speakers

Cloth can dry out and let some air pass making what we call a barking sound there is a sealant from Bose parts express used to seal them up again.
Interesting. Will look into that. I am hoping that it is just the reception of FM radio stations. I'm waiting on a fuse on another amp to hook it to the speakers to see if the barking persists. I olso have the feeling the barking is slowly dissappearing. I will also see if I can try the tape deck and Garrard turntable to see if they bark. Thanks
By the way I've just noticed this morning someone must have accidentally put a pole or something right through the woofer of another rather nice old speaker that has the mid range and tweeter in the middle of the woofer. Is there a way of repairing it?

Last edited:
I am working on a similar concept, using the Surroundmaster V2 into a pair of Sansui stereo amps rather than 4x mono blocks. The SM spits out 4 analog signals which are fed to each: one driving the front pair of speakers & the other the rear pair of speakers
Forgive my beginners ignorance, I don't understand why this nice piece of equipment has only Stereo, no quadraphonic inputs.

Forgive my beginners ignorance, I don't understand why this nice piece of equipment has only Stereo, no quadraphonic inputs.
The purpose of the SM v2 is to decode quad matrix titles or to provide a synthesized quad or 5.1 sound field. As such, there would be no reason to include quad inputs.

The purpose of the SM v2 is to decode quad matrix titles or to provide a synthesized quad or 5.1 sound field. As such, there would be no reason to include quad inputs.
So in my case I would first need to encode the 4 tracks from the DAW with another piece of hardware right? Does the EMOTIVA UMC 200 also require an encoded input?

Last edited:
Back