QuadraphonicQuad Best Surround/Immersive Recording awards 2020 The First annual URBAN Awards

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shall I start? The URBIES I propose....

First Honorary URBAN for OVERALL EXCELLENCE goes to Jon Urban for decades of consistent quality and dedication to the Art form.

Best Surround Recording of the year
some nominees to start your please add your choices My choices are mostly limited by my budgr=et

Kenny Wayne Shepherd BandThe Traveler (BD-A [5.1/Atmos])
XTC as The Dukes of StratosphearPsurroundabout Ride (CD+BD-A)
The BeatlesAbbey Road (3CD+BD-A [Atmos/5.1])
King CrimsonIn The Court of the Crimson King (3CD+BD-A) 11/1 new SW 5.1 mix
Tangerine DreamPhaedra (BD-A [5.1)

Best new surround technology

In memoriam
OPPO 203

any more or less categories?

I started something like this thread. My top picks are in post #9 . . . #9 . . . #9

And I'm all for @JonUrban winning EVERYTHING! He changed my life cuz of this site!

Clement, perhaps one of the moderators will integrate the two threads into one cohesive thread.

But as to who came FIRST:

See the source image

Last edited:
Shall I start? The URBIES I propose....

First Honorary URBAN for OVERALL EXCELLENCE goes to Jon Urban for decades of consistent quality and dedication to the Art form.

Best Surround Recording of the year
some nominees to start your please add your choices My choices are mostly limited by my budgr=et

Kenny Wayne Shepherd BandThe Traveler (BD-A [5.1/Atmos])
XTC as The Dukes of StratosphearPsurroundabout Ride (CD+BD-A)
The BeatlesAbbey Road (3CD+BD-A [Atmos/5.1])
King CrimsonIn The Court of the Crimson King (3CD+BD-A) 11/1 new SW 5.1 mix
Tangerine DreamPhaedra (BD-A [5.1)

Best new surround technology

In memoriam
OPPO 203

any more or less categories?
I have the middle 3 - and agree with your choice. I also have the oppo 203 and love it. i have not heard the other two. Dutton Vocalion should have its own category - so much good stuff there.

OOPS!
Sorry if U stepped on your toes! No malintent meant.
Rik
My toes are all good--sorry if I came across as territorial! I like the orientation of your thread:

Mine was based on an outside announcement (superdeluxeedition); yours gives credit where credit is due (URBAN! URBAN! URBAN!)
Mine followed suit with SDE and asked for top 3; yours acknowledges our QQ need for MORE and asks for five
Mine was limited to releases; yours has two MORE categories!!!
Ultimately, I just wanted to make sure votes already cast were taken into consideration.

Now that you posted this, I actually envision a little curmudgeon @JonUrban statuette being produced. Our whole site officially votes on a best surround release. @Angie and the new owners hype the contest and make a big deal of delivering the URBIE to the winner. Interest is generated and more surround sound mixes are released in the hopes of winning a coveted URBIE. Oppo announces new disc players. We spend ever more money on our hobby. . . .

Last edited:
Dutton Vocalion should have its own category - so much good stuff there.
I stated similar in a recent, listening now, post.
This company have become so important in our love of surround music that they deserve their own poll section at least.
Perhaps the award should be called
The JU DVM of Merit (with bar...hic!!)

To spell that out, reads: The Jon Urban, Dutton Vocalion Medal of Merit. (nothing biased of course!!)
It can still go to other deserving releases.... :D
It just raises the bar.....( back to my favourite subject!!)

My toes are all good--sorry if I came across as territorial! I like the orientation of your thread:

Mine was based on an outside announcement (superdeluxeedition); yours gives credit where credit is due (URBAN! URBAN! URBAN!)
Mine followed suit with SDE and asked for top 3; yours acknowledges our QQ need for MORE and asks for five
Mine was limited to releases; yours has two MORE categories!!!

Now that you posted this, I actually envision a little curmudgeon @JonUrban statuette being produced. Our whole site officially votes on a best surround release. Angie and the new owners hype the contest and make a big deal of delivering the URBIE to the winner. Interest is generated and more surround sound mixes are released in the hopes of winning a coveted URBIE. Oppo announces new disc players. We spend ever more money on our hobby. . . .
Did Urban Cowboy ever have an OST in surround?

Back