QuadraphonicQuad Spelling and Pronunciation Guide

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Despite attaining a wise old age, I realize that I've either been misspelling or mispronouncing the names of several music figures for decades. Here are some of them:

Pete Townshend:

@privateuniverse recently made me aware of the "h" in the middle of Townshend's name. I've always gotten the pronunciation correct, but had dropped the "h."

John Entwistle:
I had erroneoulsy been assigning Pete's "h" to John. There is no "h" in Entwistle. Thanks again @privateuniverse . Well, at least I can spell Daltrey and Moon.

Gregg Rolie:
This is a double screw up. I've always missed the second "g" in his first name, and thought that his last name was pronounced "Row-ley" like in row your boat. He actually pronounces it "Raleigh" as per this video.

Mel Schacher:

Fifty plus years of listening to Grand Funk and I still have no idea as to the correct pronunciation of Mel's last name.

Any other enlightening tidbits?

For some reeson was thinking about this very thing this morning, but on a much more basic level.

I see lots of there/their, were/we're, where/were type mistakes on the forum, etc. :)
@Clement is a recovering retired English teacher. Maybe he could tutor us on dangling participles n too/to/two? Ain't the American language grand?
And by the way, it's sonik, with a k. Y'all.

Maybe I'm Amazed by this one -
Its Paul Mccartney. NOT Paul Macartney

Now lets Get Back to the Three Rs in school !

I always just thought of him as 'the cute Beatle!'
The Beatles Paul McCartney 11x14 Glossy Photo

Not exactly a spelling issue but....
I always get annoyed when people don't care about something and say "I could care less". That means you actually do care. The correct sentiment is "I could NOT care less".

Another is adding the word "AT" to phrases like " Tell me where you are at" or "I am not sure where I am at". The problem usually occurs when someone insists on contracting the words preceding the "at" which forces them to add the superfluous "at" to make is sound right; 'Tell me where you're" or "I am not sure where I'm". Don't contract the words and you won't feel the need to add the "at".

Back