QuadraphonicQuad Spelling and Pronunciation Guide

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is an enginear/scyentist who cant' spel or punkchewate, or got the tense right, I also out words when typing .................... With apologies to Clement and all of those who can! :)

My poor father despaired (had to look the spelling up!) at my lack of ability!

My PhD tutor who was Greek had a go as well, accused me of being German, as if I put a verb in anywhere it was at the end of a sentence! :rolleyes: In my first job the project manager asked me where the verb was, in his words 'where is the doing word?' :oops:

My mind seems to see things as object, object, connection - which I forget to add

Is an enginear/scyentist who cant' spel or punkchewate, or got the tense right, I also out words when typing .................... With apologies to Clement and all of those who can! :)

My poor father despaired (had to look the spelling up!) at my lack of ability!

My PhD tutor who was Greek had a go as well, accused me of being German, as if I put a verb in anywhere it was at the end of a sentence! :rolleyes: In my first job the project manager asked me where the verb was, in his words 'where is the doing word?' :oops:

My mind seems to see things as object, object, connection - which I forget to add

GAWD, Dunc......Going ALL ZEN on US?

R.4136d2a958a68b970f759a162b94d66a

Here's one that kills me every time I see it.

We say/write:

Kind of...
Should have...

We NEVER say/write:

Should of

Got it?

Of is not a verb!

Thank you!

Old man rant over...
I always do! Thanks to comments in this form I realised my error and now write "should've" (the proper contraction of should have). To me should have just doesn't sound right. For years I always thought that the April Wine hit "She Could Have Been A Lady" was "She Could Of Been A Lady", still today when I play that song I hear of instead of have!

Don't forget Quadraphonic, Quadrophonic, Quadrasonic, Quadriphonic, Quadrisonc. I remember reading an article that questioned whether "Quadraphonic" was correct English, or not. IMHO any of the terms listed are fine by me grammatically correct or not! We can also have Tetraphonic or even Tetrasonic.

Like the aforementioned "I could care less", "The proof is in the pudding" is another relatively recent howler, which doesn't make any sense to me. Proof of what? Where did this pudding come from? Why is it relevant to the proof of something?

The correct proverb is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".
Humans are notorious for being lazy. Shortening up every phrase every spoken...until you absolutely cannot make sense of the saying at all.

Back