QuadroSurround DVD-A goes Classical - It's a WINNER!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Dietrich kindly sent me a copy of his "Quadro-Surround" label's latest release, entitled "Crossover Quintet", and I have to say that it's quite remarkable and enjoyable. I listened to it TWICE in the car, and then played it through at home with my wife listening, and she thought it was superb!!

From the enclosed booklet, the description is that "The first violin is in the front middle, left the 2nd violin, and viola to the right. Martin Benz plays his inimitable superb cello at the rear right while the bass delivers the stabilizing element in the balance of sound and music at the rear left. This conscious multichannel production demonstrates that in the classical music through quadraphonic technology instruments can be located to their respective postitions within the orchestra."

The listening experience is wonderful. The instruments are not totally isolated, but they are very directional. This is a 4.0 recording, so the "first violin is in the front middle" is not a center channel audio track, but is mixed into the FL and FR to come from the center listening area.

The disc is DVD-Audio (24/48) and Dolby Digital, and has 14 tracks. I've encoded 1:30 of the first track into 16/44 DTS as a wav file. You can download this and play it in Foobar or any compatible player that will decode DTS. Do not play it with Media Player from here as you will only hear static.

For those interested in surround classical music, this disc seems (to me) to be a winner. Of course, I am far from the classical expert. I would love to hear what Kal Rubinson thinks about this disc. Dietrich, how about sending Kal a disc for evaluation?

DOWNLOAD THE DTS SAMPLE HERE

Quadro Classical Q10 Front.jpg
Quadro Classical Q10 Back.jpg

Hmmm....

Might have to get this.... :)

Capturequadlk2.jpg

I thought the cartoon from the QQ "About" page would be relevant....

Hmmm....

Might have to get this.... :)

I thought the cartoon from the QQ "About" page would be relevant....

I almost put that up with the review, but I could not find my copy of the non-purple one! I do have it somewhere. :)

Hello Jon,
as you have suggested, I will send a copy to Kal Rubinson. May be, he print a review in the "stereophile". More as we do, one can not do for the quadraphonic scene.

Dietrich

Interested suround listener may test the music beneth the DTS Sample from Jon also by our web-side www.quadro-surround.de and look by "music samples". We have wanted to produce a classic-surround recording, which will be more "quadraphonic" as some other so called surround productions. That os always our intention - also with Rock, Latin, Jazz etc. There are not many other real quadraphonic recordings on the market. But I wait further on for the interess of the fans.

Dietrich

Arrived a couple days ago and I've just had time for a quick listen. Well-chosen compilation, spectacular interpretation and mix. I LOVE the pizzicato polka in discrete quad. Highly recommended for classical fans. Others do start your journey in surround classical music with this album. Even your wifes and kids won't cut and run away, guaranteed :cool:

to grill
its good to read, that also you was also pleasing by listening our quadraphonic classic production. I think also, that not many surround productions have such a real quadraphonic sound impression as we have it mixed. Also our coming productions will have a strictly quadraphonic mixdown.

Dietrich

Arrived a couple days ago and I've just had time for a quick listen. Well-chosen compilation, spectacular interpretation and mix. I LOVE the pizzicato polka in discrete quad. Highly recommended for classical fans. Others do start your journey in surround classical music with this album. Even your wifes and kids won't cut and run away, guaranteed :cool:

Yes. I thought it quite delightful, too.

IMO - This is the way that a string ensemble should be heard.

I'm not a huge classical fan, but wanted something that was true discrete surround.

Really enjoying it....

One thing about classical music - it's multi-lingual! It sounds great in any language, especially in surround.

I think this disc is a perfect disc for the surround fan who is not "into" classical.

Back