Quality Quadraphonic Turntable Recommendations

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AudioLancelot

Hi

I apologize for another request.

What quality manufacturers, models, cartridge and stylus are recomended by the group with respect to quadraphonic turntables?

Thanks

Dennis

If you don't want a TT with a built in CD-4 demodulator your choices obviously increase.

I have a Technics SL-1300 I bought in 1975. It is rock solid and perform like new, even after being stored in a garage for 14 years. A dusty hot garage. All it had was a old blanket over the top of it.

It came standard with the proper imperdence cables. All I had to do was add a CD-4 capable cartridge. I chose the Pickering 5000 model.

If all yah' wanna' play are matrix-type records yah' don't even need a shibata-style cartridge.

For SQ, QS, etc LPs any turntable will work though quality improves the sound of any record. So does a quality cartridge.

I am not the CD-4 expert since I gave up on the format.

Yeah, that's the main question: Do you plan on using the turntable for CD-4 records, Matrix, or all of the above? The answer would greatly impact the type of recommendation I would make.

Check out the thread on CD-4 on this website. It has a sub thread titled "CD-4 equipment that works well". You can get good performance from CD-4, but it takes a little work to get it right. There you will find listings of cartridges and turntables that work well. Note that many fine turntables were built during the quad era that are CD-4 compatible, and they aren't hard to find. Look for thick signal wires, almost as thick as video cables. Garage sales and flea markets are good places to look. Since it was easy to modify the design of a turntable to make it CD-4 compatible, these turntables often found their way into stereo systems as well. A high quality table of the era generally was compatible. For matrix quad, the requirements are no greater than stereo, but for CD-4, low capacitance cabling is required, including in the tonearm itself.

The Quadfather

Back