"Quarters"??? Well, points for originality, anway.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Including a piece of film for authenticity, these are most interesting! Muxt be from the same people who brought us the rare "Archies" AC-3 Japanese CD!!

For creativity, they get high marks. The "QuadGems" logo is a nice play on Colgems (the US original Monkees label), and the for members is "Quarters" (four speakers) is cool!

Hey, good job! I wonder what they sound like??

:-jon

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...=892140460

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...=892140384

"damage may occur if analog equipment used"

Huh? Yah' mean I can't slap it on the turntable??!!!!

Yea! I'd like to hear the one with all the songs I know! Last Train to Clarksville etc. The other one I don't know one single song on it!

If anyone here buys one of these, please report back on how it sounds. I'm thinking this is synthesized quad through a QSD-1 or something, but the seller makes it sound like its discrete...

That's what I was thinking. The seller must have run the Monkees tracks through a Matrix unit like the QSD-1 to "create" the Quad albums here.

Well, it looks like one of our members was the high bidder on both of these. Maybe he will report back to us on what exactly he got!!

I heard a cd (probably this) last year in the FAR southwest, sitting with a few quad buddies at a quadsession, and one quadfellow had a cd done by a monkee fanatic from the area, who had redone this into quad by using a couple different versions and mixing them. It was pretty good, certainly nothing that would astound an old quad fanatic, but more of this stuff will be out, the bucks be the drive. tad

Well, I contacted the seller of these CD’s “on the side” to see if we could work out some kind of deal. Although I’m not a huge Monkees fan or anything, I was VERY curious to check these things out. The seller is a big time Monkees collector who knows a lot of other collectors, and somehow or another found a connection for these CD’s. Anyway, he worked out a deal with me for the discs (less than what these things sold for on eBay, that’s for sure.)

I got the discs the other night and found them to be a very entertaining listen. There is indeed a lot of discrete stuff going on. Most songs offer up the required daily dose of “quadness”. Some come off better than others, but overall, the entire collection is pretty darn cool. I’ve been talking to the guy quite a bit, and as near as we can figure out, these collections of “quad” Monkees songs were created from various and sundry released and unreleased songs, including alternate takes and stripped-down mixes, together with some matrix decoding and editing tricks.

The sound quality is consistently very, very good but not quite as good as you would expect from a commercial recording. The packaging, including the artwork, is very cool. He’s a great guy and willing to deal, so anyone interested in these things should drop him a line. Personally, I think they make a great addition to my quad collection. If nothing else, they’re great fun and certainly better than that Archies DTS disc!

He asked me not to give out his address on a public forum. If you e-mail me, I will give it to you. You can also go to the top of this thread that has a link to the eBay auctions. From the auction, you can use the "ask seller a question" link (which is what I did).

These DTS mixes were not made just from several different mixes that are out there released.

There is a Rhino Handmade (web/mail-order div.) 3 CD set called the "Headquarters Sessions". This set contains the backing tracks, over-dub sessions, and alt. mixes made during the recording of the original LP.

These CDs are the source materials for the quad mixes found on this set. I think it's a wonderful idea.

I'd always wondered what it would sound like if one took the stereo mix of Pet Sounds, and used the inst. versions of the songs found on Stack-O-Tracks CD (as the rear channels), and made quad Beach Boys that way.

This Monkees disc is that concept taken all the way home. I love it!!!

Jeff

That's how I did the quad mix of My Sweet Lord and Awaiting on you All. THe timing was a mother, that's why I could not do Isnt it a Pity, What is Life, or ATMP itself.

Well jon,

I have the Stack-O-Tracks CD (Stereo), and the stereo Pet Sounds if you'd like to have a go at that one. Should be a little less frustration than the Harrison was. As a matter of fact, I have all the Beach Boys stuff on CD that is also on the Stack-O disc.

I think these Beach Boys tunes are just dying to be mated with their original backing tracks here, and can use your talent to bring out their surround potential in
<<< full dimentional surround >>>. A lovely "Best Of The Beach Boys in DTS"

Jeff

Jeff,

I never thought of that, actually. I do have the Stack-o-Tracks CD. It's actually the old Capital 2-fer.

I will have to try one.

The timing issue is not just a matter of one track being 3:07 and one being 3:22, it is that there are variations WITHIN the track. Even if you time stretch to make both track the same, and they start and end in sync, a few seconds into the song the track goes out of wack. It's very odd.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
I like the idea of a Stack-O-Tracks in DTS the best. But if one wanted to do Pet Sounds, I'm sure the Pet Sounds Sessions Box set has enough tracks to cover it.

"In My Room" would be nice.

Jeff

I just remembered that I have a Beach Boys CD called "Essential <something>" that Capitol put out a few years ago that has one of the songs with the voices only!! (I have to go look and see which one it is.)

Anyway, that could be the "fronts", and the Stack-o-Tracks could be the rears! Cool!

I tried it, and there are no timing issues at all! Here is what you need:

Beach Boys Stack-o-Tracks CD - Capitol CDP 7 93698 2
Track #21 is "Wouldn't It Be Nice" with No Vocal. This is a stereo track with all instruments. Mind you, it is no Ultradisc, the fidelity is marginal at best!

Essential Beach Boys Perfect Harmony CD - Capital 72438-21277-2-7

Track #5 is "Wouldn't it be Nice" with the intro, then Vocals only! (This is interesting to listen to on it's own)

These two tracks sync perfectly, with no tinkering needed. You will have to fade the vocal track to match the track time of the instrument track, as the music fades and the singing does not fade out for another 3 seconds.

However, now you can take the two stereo tracks, split and encode them and have a legit discrete quad version of "Wouldn't It Be Bice". Now, just burn it to DTS CD and list it on eBay as a rare limitied edition Beach Boys Quadraphonic Japanese CD single and let the $100 bills come flying in!

You too can make millions off of the internet!! :D

Back