"Quarters"??? Well, points for originality, anway.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
see, there is a good BB collection here.

Oh, and I also have the 3 CD boot titled The Good Vibrations Sessions" on the Silent Sea label. Every damn basic track and over dub session, plus early mixes.

So if the Stack-O-Track DTS CD went without a hitch, there is a bonus track here with Good Vibrations, that could work.

It's not like I am that major of a BB fan, I just tend to collect all the cool stuff from every artist.

We should move this topic over to the "conversion" area.

Count me in on the BB DTS "special remix" edition. I won't sell or trade it until you've had a chance to recoup your hard labor costs ($25,000.00).

Jeff ;)

on second thought, this project should remain unknown until it's ready for the world to hear it.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

CLOSED - See "Beach Boys Frankenstien Tracks in the conversion section.

:-jon

Remember the Monkees Quarters quad cd's that sold recently on Ebay? I know Cai ended up purchasing the set. If these are actual Japanese releases, does anyone know of any sources where we could obtain these type of recordings directly from Japan? Any Japanese dts sites out there? I'd like to have a copy of these and am wondering what other surround material the Japanese may have dreamed up.

Hey, folks;

I saw that the back of the Monkees “Complete Season 1” DVD box set boasts a 5.1 remix! Does this include the songs in each episode? Has anyone heard this? I’ll probably pick it up myself, but I’d love to hear what everyone thinks…

With Rhino... most of the 2 channel or mono stuff that has a 5.1 mix is all synthesized and not truly discrete.

That would be too bad. Especially since I know that Harold Bronson/Rhino bought the Monkees lock, stock and barrel at some point in the '90s (I've heard he's a huge Monkees fan), and I would assume that would mean access to the original recording sessions, which I think were on 4-track more most of the show's run (correct me if I'm wrong here, fellow fans...) Lord knows they've done enough compilations, re-issues, box sets and other vault trawlings; throw us a bone and give us something is true surround!

A two disc greatest hits compilation just surfaced, called quarters in DTS 4.1. Does anyone know if there were any original quad mixes that never got released?

Most of the songs are very discrete, with some songs bleeding b/w FR and RR more than others leading me to believe that if it is not an upmix, then it is at the very least a legit SQ decode. However, in some cases you get very isolated instruments and voices in the rear speakers, making for an impressive quad experience--although my only complaint would be that the vocals get buried sometimes and the levels in the rears could lowered a little.

quarters is a bootleg that has been out for several years.
it has some songs compiled by synching different stereo and mono tracks together to make quad mix.
some songs are great but it goes out of synch in several spots, because the person who did it,wasn't perfect at it..i.e listen to the band and zilch.

it has some songs compiled by synching different stereo and mono tracks together to make quad mix.
some songs are great but it goes out of synch in several spots, because the person who did it,wasn't perfect at it..i.e listen to the band and zilch.

Thanks for clearing that up, it makes sense. Too bad the person wasn't a little better at it, it could have been outstanding.

DTS5008front.jpgDTS5008back.jpgDTS103front.jpgDTS103back.jpg

I love these two CD's, I'm actually surprised that they are fake, they did one hell of a good job. The overall sound quality is better than that of my Rhino CD's. I have no complaints at all about these. Would love it if they could fake some more!

anything Rhino did on the monkees this century is full of bad loudness/compression..their early 1990's cd's were the better ones and they got progressively worse as the loudness wars got worse...

I agree, the vocals do get lost at times. Plus Zilch is on there twice (once on each disc) & Door into Summer is on the first disc twice, however each is a different running length & seems to be a slightly different mix. Mike's vocals are in different places in the mix. Zilch, however can be easily corrected since each monkee's separate vocal take are included on the "Headquarters Sessions" box set.also, mine has a different tracklisting than the one posted by parkenMonkees - Quarters vol1 back.jpgMonkees - Quarters vol2 back.jpg

Agreed. Quarters is a mixed bag sonically - but it's still fun to listen to what the Monkees in Quad would have been like.

This was done by a dude in southern cal, some Japanese guy decided he wanted to make a few dollars it seems.

While some of the early material could not possibly work in quad due to its limitations, if tapes still exist, HEADQUARTERS and subsequent albums/singles might be effectively mixed to quad. QUARTERS has its moments that seem all so 'real'....

ED :)

These DTS mixes were not made just from several different mixes that are out there released.

There is a Rhino Handmade (web/mail-order div.) 3 CD set called the "Headquarters Sessions". This set contains the backing tracks, over-dub sessions, and alt. mixes made during the recording of the original LP.

These CDs are the source materials for the quad mixes found on this set. I think it's a wonderful idea.

I'd always wondered what it would sound like if one took the stereo mix of Pet Sounds, and used the inst. versions of the songs found on Stack-O-Tracks CD (as the rear channels), and made quad Beach Boys that way.

This Monkees disc is that concept taken all the way home. I love it!!!

Jeff

This is the first time I've seen this thread. Everyone kept saying that these (Quarters) were "faked", well at least now I know better now how they were created. I always said that these DTS-CD's were fantastic. I checked for the original source on Discogs and you can buy the "Headquarters Sessions" for a mere $300. https://www.discogs.com/The-Monkees-Headquarters-Sessions/release/4239706

Back