• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Queen - A Night At The Opera Rare TRUE Elliot Scheiner Mix DVD-Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LennonCobain

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I am selling one of my copies of the super rare, promo only Queen - A Night At The Opera DVD-Audio disc that contains the true Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix before Brian May tinkered with it. My understanding is that the discs with the Scheiner only mix never made it to retail and were only distributed as promo copies (notice the hole punch through UPC) at the 2002 CES event. Needless to say, these discs are quite rare. There are some telltale signs that a disc is this rare Scheiner only copy (such as minor differences in the inlay spine, etc.), but the only known 100% certain way is to look at the disc label side. If it says "(C) 2001 DTS Entertainment. All rights reserved. WARNING: Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws. Printed in the USA." along the outer edge of the disc, then it contains the Scheiner only 5.1 surround sound mix. I have attached a number of photos of the item for sale.

IMG_0989.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg
IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg

DVD-Audio disc has a number of light marks and scratches, and is in what I would describe acceptable condition. I have not experienced any playback issues, however. Artwork is good shape. Super Jewel Box is fully functional and has minimal shelf wear.

I am looking for $70 USD. Price includes shipping within the U.S. and payment can be made via PayPal (or money order if you prefer). At this point I'm only looking to ship within the U.S. as international shipping is a bit of a hassle (however, I will consider shipping internationally depending on the location, at buyer's expense).

I'd rather give a QQ member the opportunity to buy before listing it on eBay. Thanks.

Darn, I have several copies but not a match for yours. One has a hole punch through the bar code (DTS Hollywood records) and one has the blue background like yours on the inner case (DTS Parlophone). Neither have the warning on the disc label though. Appreciate the info, learn something new everyday.

I have one given to me personally at CES by the president of dts entertainment.
Went to the show every year back then.

Thing is, I don’t really know if I’d prefer this mix to the Brian May-induced do-over.
Read about the differences, but not interested enough to hunt down the re-release and perform an A/B.

Maybe I’ll sell mine too.

I have one given to me personally at CES by the president of dts entertainment.
Went to the show every year back then.

Thing is, I don’t really know if I’d prefer this mix to the Brian May-induced do-over.
Read about the differences, but not interested enough to hunt down the re-release and perform an A/B.

Maybe I’ll sell mine too.
Same here.

fwiw i have a blue spine with the Scheiner mix and a blue spine with the later Scheiner & May mix (the latter i bought new and sealed)

quick update w/pix;

(booklet and jewel case inlays on both copies are identical with blue spines and both dated 2001 but cutout/hole punched one on left has the Scheiner mix, one on left has the 2002 disc with Brian May changes to the 5.1)

48A3122B-200B-4438-8997-8DDEF7192027.jpeg

7870A7D4-AE23-44EB-88E2-C60B8DFBAC6F.jpeg

D8C3905D-7813-46C3-ABF6-BD8132DE39B8.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s with slight embarrassment that I’ve discovered I own a copy of the recalled, non-May ANATO DVD-A: hole-punched barcode, all 2001 copyrights, and fineprint on the disc circling the perimeter rather than in parallel rows. I picked it up second-hand years ago, solely because I noticed it differed from the copy I’d earlier bought - new from JB Hi-Fi - which had a black inner backing, rather than pale blue. Luck of the draw, I guess! :LOL: Anyway, it’s sat on a shelf or in a cabinet alongside its younger brother, and never actually been played. I must rectify that oversight, I think! Sooo glad I joined QQ: if I’d never learned the discs’ contents weren’t identical, I might’ve sold the 2001 on by accident, one day. :eek:😅

Back