Queen - ANATO DVD-Audio True Scheiner Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realize that this still commanded such good money. Are any versions of this still in print? I've kind of lost track of which version is which.
Im not sure the Scheiner version was ever in print. If it was it was quickly re-called. IIRC it was only a demo version and the print size was very limited. There is a thread about it somewhere on the forum.

I don't believe so, but the cheapest way to get a version of the surround mix is in the 30th Anniversary CD/DVD package. It's the Brian May-updated mix in DTS 96/24.
I think I have the 30th anniversary release on regular dvd. I have to check. At this point I have 3 that I bought way back when, including that first scheiner one, and couldn't remember which was one was supposed to be "definitive". So many opinions.

I don't believe so, but the cheapest way to get a version of the surround mix is in the 30th Anniversary CD/DVD package. It's the Brian May-updated mix in DTS 96/24.
That version has the surround mix destroyed by loudness wars, as does the later HFPA Blu Ray. The only release that does not is the Brian May updated mix on the original DVD-A/V, which is the main DVD-A/V release you'll find on the second hand market. As people have said the Scheiner mix was a limited release test.

That version has the surround mix destroyed by loudness wars, as does the later HFPA Blu Ray. The only release that does not is the Brian May updated mix on the original DVD-A/V, which is the main DVD-A/V release you'll find on the second hand market. As people have said the Scheiner mix was a limited release test.
Ah yes, the old "brick wall". Lovely. I definitely have the Brian May one, as I have the first two DVDA releases.

back.jpg
QUEEN BACK_small.jpg

That version has the surround mix destroyed by loudness wars, as does the later HFPA Blu Ray...
Personally, I preferred the multi-channel PCM offering (which I later re-encoded to Flac @ 2.35GB) compared to the DTS-HD MA (@ 2.53GB). It sounded more relaxed to me...

And for people who are interested... If you extract the DTS core from the DTS-HD MA stream, it offers '96/24' meta-data (@ 446MB).

Cheers

That version has the surround mix destroyed by loudness wars, as does the later HFPA Blu Ray.
A matter of opinion, of course.
The DTS DVD sounds like trash, to me. The BD sounds very nice. And it's much more gingerly mastered than the 30th DVD. Not as gentle as the DVD-A's, but nothing about it sounds "destroyed" to these ears...

Personally, I preferred the multi-channel PCM offering (which I later re-encoded to Flac @ 2.35GB) compared to the DTS-HD MA (@ 2.53GB). It sounded more relaxed to me...

And for people who are interested... If you extract the DTS core from the DTS-HD MA stream, it offers '96/24' meta-data (@ 446MB).

Cheers

I'd always assumed the multi channel PCM and DTS-HD MA on the Blu Ray would be identical. What plausible reason would there be for them to be different!? They're both lossless 24/96, they should be bit for bit identical after the lossless compression on the DTS-HD MA has been unpacked. But your observation and sizes suggest that isn't the case.

The DTS core in the DTS-HD MA having 24/96 meta data does not surprise me, it's all part of DTS' architecture of layers. There's the original core, then 24/96, and then the extra data to make it lossless for MA. Each adds to the previous layer.

So in those two different Queen DVDA covers I posted, I guess the differences are noted. Which is better? I don't know. Not my favorite Queen album by far.
My understanding, which could be wrong, is the one with the "Hollywood" markings was ES's mix, the other, later release (Parlophone) is Brian May's.
Is this correct?

My understanding, which could be wrong, is the one with the "Hollywood" markings was ES's mix, the other, later release (Parlophone) is Brian May's.
Is this correct?
That is correct. The year 2001 vs 2002 also give it away, as does the punched hole in the barcode of the ES version to prevent it scanning in point of sale systems.

That is correct. The year 2001 vs 2002 also give it away, as does the punched hole in the barcode of the ES version to prevent it scanning in point of sale systems.
Not exactly true. Parlophone is the EU release of which there is no Scheiner only mix. Hollywood 2001 with a UPC hole punch is a likely indication of the Scheiner only mix, but only looking at the distinct DVD label will be conclusive proof.

Not exactly true. Parlophone is the EU release of which there is no Scheiner only mix. Hollywood 2001 with a UPC hole punch is a likely indication of the Scheiner only mix, but only looking at the distinct DVD label will be conclusive proof.

Yep look on the disc art side for just the dts and hollywood logo at the bottom instead of all that paragraph writing - see the one Snood linked for Ebay on the previous page - there will be only writing along the edge circle on the bottom, but no paragraph of words, just 2 logos.....you see that and guaranteed ES mix.

They rarely come up

Snood was able to snag a couple a few years back for about 50 bux each - one I sent to a QQ friend while he was laid up in the hospital - pretty sure he was happy with it :SB - but the first one I won from Ebay was 100 Bux and got delivered to one of my nice neighbors who kept it for themselves Grrrrr - Snood knocked on a more than a few doors lol - got my money back though.

Have Ebay set to notify all listings of this, hardly eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever ever see one come up. Good luck bidding if ya ever see one.

Was watching this one - it was at 24 bux with less than an hour to go, was like hmmmmmm.....but got involved with Momma Snood and forgot,came back and went ahhhhhh Snood forgot, went to check and went wooooooooooooooah :eek:

I'd always assumed the multi channel PCM and DTS-HD MA on the Blu Ray would be identical. What plausible reason would there be for them to be different!?
Perhaps the DTS-HD MA stream contains some Dialnorm meta-data (which is more usually associated with Dolby audio streams). As I no longer run an digital AVR, I can't check.

The DTS core in the DTS-HD MA having 24/96 meta data does not surprise me, it's all part of DTS' architecture of layers. There's the original core, then 24/96, and then the extra data to make it lossless for MA. Each adds to the previous layer.
More often than not, the DTS cores on most of my HFPA Blu-ray discs are regular 48/24...

Yep look on the disc art side for just the dts and hollywood logo at the bottom instead of all that paragraph writing - see the one Snood linked for Ebay on the previous page - there will be only writing along the edge circle on the bottom, but no paragraph of words, just 2 logos.....you see that and guaranteed ES mix.

They rarely come up

Snood was able to snag a couple a few years back for about 50 bux each - one I sent to a QQ friend while he was laid up in the hospital - pretty sure he was happy with it :SB - but the first one I won from Ebay was 100 Bux and got delivered to one of my nice neighbors who kept it for themselves Grrrrr - Snood knocked on a more than a few doors lol - got my money back though.

Have Ebay set to notify all listings of this, hardly eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever ever see one come up. Good luck bidding if ya ever see one.

Was watching this one - it was at 24 bux with less than an hour to go, was like hmmmmmm.....but got involved with Momma Snood and forgot,came back and went ahhhhhh Snood forgot, went to check and went wooooooooooooooah :eek:
disc.jpg

They rarely come up

[/QUOTE

You can also add it to a “Wantlist” in Discogs. They will email you when one comes up.
I scored a copy about a year ago this way for a reasonable price 🤑
Having said that, send a message to the seller to be sure of the date on the back cover - many people will list incorrectly 😱

I'd always assumed the multi channel PCM and DTS-HD MA on the Blu Ray would be identical. What plausible reason would there be for them to be different!? They're both lossless 24/96, they should be bit for bit identical after the lossless compression on the DTS-HD MA has been unpacked. But your observation and sizes suggest that isn't the case.

It would be easy to verify to first approximation. Rip the same track from each and put it up into a waveform viewer.

I don't have the BluRay. But top to bottom here's the left front channel from Bohemian Rhapsody from
DTS 2005
DTS 2002
DVDA 2002

BR.png

The compression of the 2005 is apparent. (Not the worst I've seen, though).
The DTS and DVDA layers of the 2002 appear essentially identical, as expected.

Other EQ differences (esp between 2005 and 2002) may exist, but they would not be obvious in waveform view.

Anyone who has ripped the BluRay is invited to email me the file for this track, for comparison.

I have no idea what I have!

Attachments

• 8EEAEE34-53E2-4920-B5D8-B695F3625E2A.jpeg
    8EEAEE34-53E2-4920-B5D8-B695F3625E2A.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 19
  • 397A5E74-5AE5-461F-B8DB-EF16C60FB0E2.jpeg
    397A5E74-5AE5-461F-B8DB-EF16C60FB0E2.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 20
  • 491552E0-18CD-461A-B947-8D08B728CCA1.jpeg
    491552E0-18CD-461A-B947-8D08B728CCA1.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 18
Back